Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UnderTown Environment

I got inspired to do a large scale environment, so I concepted up an area and blocked it out and I've started on assets.

The idea isn't new by any means and I'm borrowing a lot from some movies and the name is from a book, but the basic idea is that to escape the pollution and grime, a city has been started building on top of the old city. But some people stay in the old city and it becomes a new city in itself. They don't have much so they have to ghetto rig things to make due and use things for other then their original purposes. Such as living in subway cars or adding floors to existing buildings, etc.

So here's my first two assets, the first is a building that has had a floor added to it rather poorly, and the second is a subway car. The subway car I'm actually going to do two versions of, a new and an old, I started off new because it's easier to grunge something up then clean it.

The apartment is 10,000 tris and uses a 2048 texture. The subway car is 15,000 tris with a 1024 texture.

screenshot9hf.jpg
screenshot17yz.jpg
screenshot18a.jpg
screenshot16t.jpg
screenshot5ih.jpg
screenshot3oo.jpgscreenshot6q.jpgscreenshot7o.jpg

Replies

• Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    It's all looking really good. Like the building a lot, it is very original. The mirroring on the top level is a little obvious. Train could use a little grunge i think. Can't wait to see where this goes.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    good start.

here r some issues which i have noticed:

1) Architectural:
    - last floor walls r made of plywood, but walls are too thick;
    - last floor is larger than the rest of the building so we can see the bootm of last floor. Right now it has same plywood texture as the walls. However, that would be something like long wooden beams with wooden planks on top for example.
    Floor stucture is always represented by criss-crossing long beams or solid material like concrete.
    - rain pipes come from last floor's floor. Why, is there water inside last floor's appartments? They should be starting at roof's edge. I would remove those pipes since they dont make sence.
    - roof is paper thin. some thickness at least would be good. As ideal it could have some support beams unter its edge.

2) Aesthetical:

- brick texture is too dark. It will cause problems for the lighting cause it'll appear almost black;
    - fire escape has too shiny material. It could be rusty to fit the old building;
    - brick r too big, i would tile them a bit more;
    - textures that have opacity have white outline. It is happening because u seem to forget to put the background of similar color which fits with opaque areas of the texture. Instead u have white background in those textures. That what makes white outline appear.
    - there is too much spec and as consquence white spots on the building.
  • NoChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin wrote: »
    good start.

here r some issues which i have noticed:

1) Architectural:
    - last floor walls r made of plywood, but walls are too thick;
    - last floor is larger than the rest of the building so we can see the bootm of last floor. Right now it has same plywood texture as the walls. However, that would be something like long wooden beams with wooden planks on top for example.
    - roof is paper thin. some thickness at least would be good. As ideal it could have some support beams unter its edge.

2) Aesthetical:
    - fire escape has too shiny material. It could be rusty to fit the old building;
    - brick r too big, i would tile them a bit more;
    - textures that have opacity have white outline. It is happening because u seem to forget to put the background of similar color which fits with opaque areas of the texture. Instead u have white background in those textures. That what makes white outline appear.
    - there is too much spec and as consquence white spots on the building.

I was wondering about the bricks, but figured I would wait for feedback, I can easily scale down my tiling.

I see what your saying about supports under the floor and under the roof I'll go back and add those.

As far as the specularity goes, I always have a poor time of trying to get marmoset to have the specularity look right. When I take some final screenshots it will be in udk, marmoset is just easier for now.

And the opacity problem is marmoset again not handling opacity very well, should be fixed in udk.
  • toren3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toren3d polycounter lvl 7
    Tile the floor texture of the train car a bit as well.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    These two assets use a lot of triangles for as boxy as they are.
    The roof of the building is a flat sheet.

The plywood texture on the top just looks like a picture of wood on a box. These pieces individually would have edges and overhangs instead of being cut perfectly to conform to the shape, especially considering how haphazardly they are meant to be by their random rotations on the texture. Then they just wrap around the bottom. You need to fake a floor structure your support beams would be associated with.

Generally speaking, all your scale is gigantic, brick, gutters, steps, trims. Everything but the front door and boarded up wood pieces

Outside of the subway car looks pretty good, but inside all the curved shapes only have one or two edges to define them. Makes it all look boxy.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    this looks promising.
    one complaint, the blood stain on the front door needs do go. If you want to give the feel of people living in this building, there are other ways to make it look dangerous.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    also, the roof needs work.
  • NoChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moved the apartment asset into UDK, it's my first time using it and I love it! I fixed the brick tiling and I raised the top floor so the beams could go underneath it. I thickened the roof instead of having just a flat plane.

@cholden - As far as the tri counts go I don't really feel that there is much I can trim in the building, however I'm trying to trim down the polycount on the subway car, I actually hadn't realized how many tri's there were until I looked for posting, so that's something I'm in the process of examining.

udk1.jpg
    udk2.jpg

udk3.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm sure the building still could be cut down.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    last floor windows and plywood pieces still look too big in terms of scale.
  • NoChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin wrote: »
    last floor windows and plywood pieces still look too big in terms of scale.

I'm not sure what you mean.... it's the exact same height as all the other floors, and I know it hangs off the sides but thats intended. and plywood shoots are pretty large so I don't think thats very far off....
  • oalexis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He means that the scale of the textures is off. The grain on the wood looks too big
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    I think the windows in general are too large. If you look at the size of the windows compared to the size of the door they are huge imo. The way you have it the windows would be about a foot or two off the floor and go almost all the way up the next floor. I'd say shrink them down about 20 to 30% and see how it looks.

But overall good progress. Really diggin the concept. Keep up the good work.