Home Technical Talk

A fan favourite: Vista 64bit and Photoshop CS3 performance issues

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Hey :)

We've talked about it in the past, but I'd like to bring it up again as I'm now using 64bit Vista and CS3 @ work, and am getting performance issues.

Specifically, my brushes stutter when I'm painting and are not a constantly flow.

It seems to be all modes that cause it (Standard Screen Mode, Full Screen Mode with menu Bar, Full Screen, etc. etc.)

I'm not using the Aero/Glass theme, and have tried running CS3 in compatibility mode.

Any fixes you guys know of?

Replies

• Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    I have the same setup, and I have to constantly press "Control +R" to toggle the ruler on and off to temporarily fix the lag. Works for a good minute or so before toggling it again. The perfect solution for a $600+ piece of software.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Wow, unbelievable. Going back to the Aero theme fixes the issue. It forces Photoshop to run off the GPU..

Ugh.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well yeah thats like ThE one famous hack :P Good to hear you found out about it!
    Also make a dummy printer set as default, instead of the network one you might be using. It will make file opening like 5 times faster.
  • Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Aero theme seems to work, but if I am not mistaken, Max will automatically switch your profile back, which is a real pain when you want to run them both. I might be wrong here but I thought I had seen that same workaround before but with both programs the lag seems to return.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey Ott, its fixed with Max2009, not sure about older or newer versions. It was definitely a HUGE pain back then tho.
  • Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    heh, go figure. Using 2008 :D
  • Delerium
    adam wrote: »
    Hey :)

We've talked about it in the past, but I'd like to bring it up again as I'm now using 64bit Vista and CS3 @ work, and am getting performance issues.

Specifically, my brushes stutter when I'm painting and are not a constantly flow.

It seems to be all modes that cause it (Standard Screen Mode, Full Screen Mode with menu Bar, Full Screen, etc. etc.)

I'm not using the Aero/Glass theme, and have tried running CS3 in compatibility mode.

Any fixes you guys know of?
    Not using the Aero/Glass theme was my problem with CS and Vista . Have you tried to switch back to the aero theme ?
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wow I didnt realise aero could help, Ive been having crashes(video driver stopped responding) in my photoshop
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Man, that would be nice if it were all "Aero and the Vid drivers stopped responding thing". But too late for Lenny, as I already spent about $800 trying to fix the problem... well the nice 1000w PSU and the 295 GTX is nice.
  • Michael Knubben
    Amusing that running aero would makes things faster, heh. On that note: the latest update for Win7 when I just got my laptop made it so single-colour backgrounds made booting up about 15 seconds slower, heh. So loading a big image into memory actually made booting up faster!
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Amusing that running aero would makes things faster, heh. On that note: the latest update for Win7 when I just got my laptop made it so single-colour backgrounds made booting up about 15 seconds slower, heh. So loading a big image into memory actually made booting up faster!

I wonder if that means we should fill out our desktops with icons and have a video running as our wallpapers...