Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bipedal Cat - Topology Issues

madmuffin
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
bipedalcatissues.png

I've started working on this bipedal cat about a week ago now, did most of the body parts separate and now I am trying to make a single mesh out if it but I'm having issues with the topology, mainly around where the butt connects with the tail, and how to do the edge-flow around where the thighs and hips connect so that it will eventually animate smoothly once I reach the skinning stage.

I keep either ending up adding more and more edge loops around the entire torso to solve issues, which is causing way too many polygons in places that dont need that level of detail, or an overabundance of tris which cause turbo-smooth errors. Also I keep getting a lot of poles as well which are just generally undesirable.

If anyone could give some critique on where the edges loops should flow, or possibly better references for cat/human hip anatomy, that'd be incredibly appreciated :poly136:

Tail and torso are hidden for convenience.

2/13/2010 - Scroll to the bottom for latest changes/update.

Replies

• benny350
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benny350 polycounter lvl 13
    Quick and rough paintover, I'm at work atm so shouldnt really be doing this:poly124:

Hope it helps.

paintover.jpg
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Isn't it a general rule that you shouldn't mix tris/quads together on the same mesh? I only ask because I myself was tasked with modeling a cheetah (never done an animal before) and it was hard to stay with quads only, and I noticed that your model has a few tris.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    doeseph wrote: »
    Isn't it a general rule that you shouldn't mix tris/quads together on the same mesh? I only ask because I myself was tasked with modeling a cheetah (never done an animal before) and it was hard to stay with quads only, and I noticed that your model has a few tris.

thats a long debated issue, and from what i've seen the general consensus is to stick with quads when you can, but a triangle here and there isnt going to kill anything, especially since it'l be triangulated inside the engine you use in the end.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My general idea is what MikeF says, that you try to use quads as much as possible but some tries won't kill you. You are right thought that there are undesireable tris in there.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin wrote: »
    My general idea is what MikeF says, that you try to use quads as much as possible but some tries won't kill you. You are right thought that there are undesireable tris in there.

Were you just not able to use quads and that's why you opted for tris? I myself found it extremely difficult to stick with quads without my model looking ridiculous in certain areas, but to be honest I don't do animals anyway. I'm kind of curious though.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    In game art, if you can save a few polys by using a tri, do it.

It is frowned upon, however, for high-polygon models because it can cause smoothing issues and such.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Were you just not able to use quads and that's why you opted for tris? I myself found it extremely difficult to stick with quads without my model looking ridiculous in certain areas, but to be honest I don't do animals anyway. I'm kind of curious though.

I actually don't really do animals either, I mainly work in hard surface modeling if I can help it because topology rarely comes up as a problem issue.

The issue with the tris is that every good soft body model I see uses natural edge flows along where the actual muscles would be on a person and it makes for really well done animation because you reduce the amount of awkward tearing and geometry errors at places like hips and shoulders.

I'm kinda floundering in the dark though because I only have a handful of pictures with the proper edge flow on them, it would be so much easier if I had the actual physical model to rotate around and examine it's topology.

Since I posted that picture I managed to reduce the tris to nill and change the edge flow around to better match muscles according to my pictures, my only problem is this has resulted in many MANY five-point poles all over the mesh.

I really have next to zero experience with any soft body models, animation, edge loops, or animation topology so I'm kinda floundering in the dark here.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin wrote: »
    I really have next to zero experience with any soft body models, animation, edge loops, or animation topology so I'm kinda floundering in the dark here.

I feel for you, atleast it looks like you're doing a far better job than I when attempting a soft-bodied creature. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost everything gets triangulated when you import it into whatever engine, so keeping quads is only as good as it helps the workflow.

Keep in mind that other people beyond just you will probably need to interact with the mesh and you will need to be nice to these people otherwise you'll end up with a spork in your eye at the next company BBQ. It might look like you accidentally tripped and landed on it, but trust me it was planned.

- Sculpting, keeping it strictly quads is a good idea for the base mesh, not necessary for the final low poly. Tris lead to pinch points and can get ugly fast.
    - Skin weighting, it's helpful to have some nice loops, but a few tris never killed anyone especially if it keeps you from running a bunch of loops right next together.
    - Personal work flow, if you're the type of person to work in edge loops and rings it makes sense to work in way that doesn't have you manually selecting a bunch of edges.

Also apps like Maya manage hidden edges and you end up having to define the hidden edge rather than just flipping it (like Max does) so you might end up with an edge in a quad just to get it to deform correctly. But keeping in mind its all tris in the end makes this ok.

Work any way you want, just be mindful of the spork.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why must you scare me with stories of spork in eye?
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, I'm back with some updated topology after studying a bunch of models and helpful links from CGTalk, here we have the current mesh all color coded for convenience.

legtopologyupdate.png

No Tris what so ever, a few poles though. Happy to hear any critique/ see any paint overs for changes you'd think would be beneficial. :)

Also it has significantly more rump then the earlier post, not sure if its too much, too little, too low, etc. From the front I know it seems like the hips balloon out a bit too much and I'm going to fix that, right now I just finished the topology.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    i saw "bipedal cat" and i HAD to click.
    What's bothering me atm is that you've given it a female ass and that makes my furryometer flash red. as far as I know cat posteriors dont have muscle structure which would look like that. from the front it looks roughly right though
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I know what you mean. I'm definitely probably going to tone it down a bit, the human/animal meter keep tilting back and forth while I work on it between 100% a cat on legs to cat-like on legs.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    The tail might be a little high, depending what style you're going for. Real cats have rectangular asses, and when they go on their hind legs, the whole rectangle rotates so the back is facing downward, so the tail comes from the backmost edge of the rectangle (which used to be the topmost in quadruped mode) which is also the lowest edge (or at least almost lowest) in the box.

If it's going to keep the people butt, then nevermind.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had considered lowering the tail before but it has problems getting in with the butt because there is going to be some level of butt just because of how it is standing. I opted to have it slowly extrude from the spine higher up then would otherwise occur.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    actually i think benny350's paintiover makes more sense . thats the way I would model it if i was planning on sculpting it.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone another update. Now I am working on the hands but I am little stuck in how I want to do it. I want the hand to seem cat-like yet have human grasping capability, which is simply not possible in real life. I've been studying inhuman hands from stuff like the Lion King to mutant cats with actual thumbs but so far no luck in resolving it. I was contemplating simply covering the hand in a huge human handed glove but that isn't really solving the issue, just covering it up.

No thumb in this shot, not sure yet how to attach one.

armhand.png

Any critique how to make it more object hold-able yet catlike would be great.

EDIT:

handtopology.png

Changed the hand flow, I'm not much of an animator so I don't know how well this will be able to move. If anyone can critique the edge flow that's be great
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    Make them with the sort of padding (dunno the name) that you see on a paw. I would make them less smooth right at the tips and make it a sharper curve. It will have to have oversized hands or shrunken objects.

Right now the gaps between "fingers" is really too stiff. Make the fingers themselves have a puffier roundess that comes to a semi-sharp end (and flat where the inside of the fingers would be).

I'm merely speculating on what I can envision in my head. I don't have the resources to actually draw/model right now, sorry.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bipedcatupadate.png

Been a while, updated it a bit. trying to get the head topology right, and the body is looking good now. It might be a little stunted though. short legs and all. Now that I have the mesh topology okay I will probably work on putting the cat-like silhouette back in.

Feet are kinda screwed up right now. Will fix later.
  • die_Kröte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it depends a bit on what you want for the final look, but since she is pretty curvy on bottom (and has an almost human-like posterior) you might consider bulking up her upper half to give her a bit more of an hourglass shape, if that's what you're going for.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    Another thing i'd like to add that i don't *think* anyone has mentioned yet is you want to keep your quads as square-like and evenly distributed as possible for animation's sake.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    I wouldn't expect a bipedal cat to have breasts. Actually, the only thing feline about this character is from the waste-down. I wouldn't even call it cat anymore at that point. When I read "bipedal cat" I was thinking of something similar to puss-in-boots from Shrek. o_o;;
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll keep that in mind, will try to redistribute the quads to keep them uniform. I was going for curvy but more like feline curvy then human curvy.