Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Scifi Environment stuff

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
It's been a while since I've sat down and just worked on some art for myself. After seeing some of the great environment art threads I thought I should take a crack a finishing up a couple good environments.

I wanted to take a some small step first so I started with some simple floor textures to figure out some process stuff for myself. Once I get everything squared away I'm going to do a full break down like the other environment threads around here. Until then I have two shots i took last night. These are both screen captures using Xoliul's 3DS Max Viewport Shader.

mtlFlrPlateWIP_Flat.jpg

mtlFlrPlateWIP_Box.jpg

All C and C welcome and needed. :)

Replies

• roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    very nice texture! hope to see more!
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Quite nice indeed.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started to block out the environment over the weekend a bit. Here is the concept, it's from the first Mass Effect I think. Hopefully this week I can wrap up the block out and start to pull all of the assets into their own files and start the high poly versions.

me-environment09.jpg

Blockout.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Awsome work so far. If you are following the reference you can see that pipe holder is aligned with the mill line.

If its a high poly scene you need to make the piples look little random. If its low, I'd use one object, extrude pipes from it at the end, and where they need to be defined I would just make the shape of them on the mesh....

So far you are on the right track. Keep up the good work :)
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    Nice! Very Mass Effecty. And that's not a bad thing! Gray block's lookin ... solid, as good as a gray block can get, lol. Can't wait for the normal mapped details.
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @NiteWalker - Thanks man. Yeah my pipes are super lame right now. Haha. I just placed them there to figure out where they will go, I'll make them nice and messy for the final piece.

@Pangarang - Thank you as well.

I Started to pull out the assets and work on the high poly models. I haven't gotten too far though. Been pretty busy at work and what not. I did take some time and look over a lot of the Mass Effect screen shots to get a better feel for the environments in the game. I then started to work out the wall panel/trim area. I still need to add more detail and fix a few things here and there. Some of the mesh breaks down with turbo smooth.

WIP_WallPanel01.jpg

I'm hoping to wrap up the high poly by Sunday night then start to unwrap and texture.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    you should look up syd mead, he was the prime influence for mass effect environments and vehicles
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @garriola83 - I'll take a look at his work for sure. Thanks.

I got started on the textures for the wall panels and such. Had to fight with the bake a bit but I think I got it. :)

WIPTexture.jpg

I'm going to try and throw it into UDK next and hopefully only show updates from UDK.
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've finally had some time to work on this piece again. Sorry for being so slow, some coworkers and myself were spending all of our free time working on a prototype and we just wrapped it up last night. Here is a quick update before I head off to GDC.

The two things I'm working on right now are the wall segments from the left side of the environment. Just the start of the hight poly.

WallPanelsLEft.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    pretty detailed. looks good! keep em commin!
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update. I'm slowly cranking away at this environment and I stress the word slowly. Haha. Post GDC has been a bit nuts so far, but I've got 2 more things in UDK right now. All first pass at the moment. I've got 3 more things in the que to be textured and one more thing to be turned into a lowpoly and baked. At that point I'll start to export out everything as is and start to build up the actual environment in UDK. Here is a small screen of the two things I just wrapped up.

WIP_MoreAssetsINUnreal.jpg

No real lighting or anything right now. I'm hoping to have all of the frame work assets done so I can really focus on the focal bits such as the actual refinery bit and the wire holder thing.