Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Art Deco Clock Tower

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
Between breaks workin on my cave environment, been pokin' at this.

Working with modular pieces.

artdecoclocktower11.jpg

artdecoclocktowerwirefr.jpg
artdecoclocktower4.jpg
artdecoclocktower3.jpg
artdecoclocktower2.jpg

Replies

• natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suppose I should toss this in.

Here's my original concept.

I'm basing this off of a new, though growing, knowledge of art-deco architecture.

artdecoclock.jpg
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    Oh whoa, looks like you've nailed the style pretty good :O
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    this looks awesome. not enough art deco in 3d
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Overall its very well done, but it looks a little bland to me. I would add some more color to the concrete areas. Even if you leave it concrete, add some contrast to it or something.
  • TheBat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheBat polycounter lvl 10
    Really cool, looks awesome. Makes me think of Bioshock-like (a good thing)!
  • Ramza394
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater wrote: »
    Overall its very well done, but it looks a little bland to me. I would add some more color to the concrete areas. Even if you leave it concrete, add some contrast to it or something.

I have to agree with Darth Nater. Its a great piece but maybe add some color or neon lights around some of the concrete to add some contrast. Keep up the great work.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool. could use some upward facing spotlights to cast some dramatic shadows. i know you have some now, but something a bit more intense for some more contrast.
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd have to agree with what's been said, it looks good but could use something to make it pop
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    this might be a good idea of what would help add some dynamic to the scene, build it into the cliffside
    http://images.blu-ray.com/reviews/629_1.jpg

There is a severe lack of good pictures of the asylum from that movie
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Nice, the corner pillars/insets look cool but I think some textured parts seem too flat and painted on. The top shadow on that thin rectangular panel that's repeated quite alot looks way too dark, cutting back on ao and adding some good normals/bump map should help emphasise the design more.
  • JonathanArmstrong
    This is cool. The colors are subtle but just enough to make it stand out. What size texture are you using? Is the background a textured skybox or did you add that in post?
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're taking 'low poly' a little too literally in this case. Unless this building was to never be seen up close, this needs more geometric details. For instance the whole bronze door section should have its own protruding geometry as should the doors be inset. Work on giving that area variations of depth to make the whole thing sell better. Only rely on normal maps for small details like grain, rivets, joints, cracks. Do big 'chunk' elements with geometry.

As others have said right now it's looking too flat as everything is relying on the texture. It works at a distance but is outdated up-close. Just look at something like Bioshock as an example of what should be texture and what should be modeled.

Also, you spend a lot of polys near the clock tower, and yet the walls on the ground level have absolutely no surface modeling. Usually you'll want to spend the most polys near the player (ground level) and less up top where they're unlikely to walk up to.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    You're taking 'low poly' a little too literally in this case. Unless this building was to never be seen up close, this needs more geometric details. For instance the whole bronze door section should have its own protruding geometry as should the doors be inset. Work on giving that area variations of depth to make the whole thing sell better. Only rely on normal maps for small details like grain, rivets, joints, cracks. Do big 'chunk' elements with geometry.

As others have said right now it's looking too flat as everything is relying on the texture. It works at a distance but is outdated up-close. Just look at something like Bioshock as an example of what should be texture and what should be modeled.

Also, you spend a lot of polys near the clock tower, and yet the walls on the ground level have absolutely no surface modeling. Usually you'll want to spend the most polys near the player (ground level) and less up top where they're unlikely to walk up to.

Not everything needs to be made to next gen console spec.....there are still alot of platforms (Wii, DS, PSP, iPhone) where low poly should be taken literally.
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    i like the design, i agree with TheBat, reminds me bioshok a bit
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Nice Nate. This is turning out sick. I agree with what others have said. Maybe crack open one of the doors and have some light coming out from the inside or add the spot lights outside.

I also noticed that your first and final shot have some light foliage but the wireframe and other shot do not? Was this on purpose or were they rendered before you added the foliage?

Anyways overall a pretty sweet piece. Keep up the good work bud.
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not everything needs to be made to next gen console spec.....there are still alot of platforms (Wii, DS, PSP, iPhone) where low poly should be taken literally.
    I did mention that it depends what this was gonna be used for. And If I'm not mistaken, this piece is using normal maps, the texture sizes are also most definitely 'next gen' scale. Both of those reasons eliminate it from those systems basically. And might i add this is being presented in Unreal engine.

What's more, the inset that does already exist in the doorways is hardly noticeable without looking at the wire frame, and need to be more pronounced even if this was for a low spec game. As they are now they're wasted geometry since they barely make visible shapes.

I stick to my point that the mesh needs more to live up to the textures he's using. Right now it's looking awkwardly in-between.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    i gotta agree with art-machine. The first thing i thought was that the larger details on the walls cast too big of a shadow to be so flat.
    And it's being shown in UDK so it's pretty safe to assume it's not going on wii, ds, psp or iphone.

Looks good though, very good grasp on the style
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I hear what you're saying, but yes, this building is only to be presented from this distance, and will be part of a larger scene with more buildings once I complete them.

I agree about the color, and I too, just noticed the shadow above the rectangular bit.

I may toss a little more geometry onto the wall, but I do feel that it's working for the moment.

Thanks for all the crits.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    That looks really good nate. What is this piece for?
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    I did mention that it depends what this was gonna be used for. And If I'm not mistaken, this piece is using normal maps, the texture sizes are also most definitely 'next gen' scale. Both of those reasons eliminate it from those systems basically. And might i add this is being presented in Unreal engine.

What's more, the inset that does already exist in the doorways is hardly noticeable without looking at the wire frame, and need to be more pronounced even if this was for a low spec game. As they are now they're wasted geometry since they barely make visible shapes.

I stick to my point that the mesh needs more to live up to the textures he's using. Right now it's looking awkwardly in-between.

Point taken
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

Upon review, the building seemed too small for its structure.

artdecoclockbuilding1.jpg&action=rotate
    artdecoclockbuilding2.jpg
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    you'll have to show me that gold texture. its sexy
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master