Home General Discussion

Moddb like sites.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Anyone have suggestions for other sites like Moddb focused on a game and company database/social network like option. Possibly leaning towards indies especially.

I got stuck being the PR dude (for now).

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Sorry I don't know of any.

Though I recently listened to episode 4 of TIG Radio which went over Community/PR stuff that might be of interest to you.

MP3s for it (and all other episodes) are available here.

Speaking of TIG Radio, TIG Source and their related forum might yield more info about what you are looking for.
  • Michael Knubben
    Oxy: You're looking for options to promote your project, I take it?
    You could have a word with the Overgrowth guys (our very own Aubrey/ninjas would be a good start) about this, they seem pretty on top of these things. They also had an article about indie-friendly digital distribution that was pretty informative.

Sadly though, I think you'll have a hard time finding anything as good and popular as ModDB. If it's something nearing release, did you look into ModDB's sister site, Desura? It might be interesting for you.
  • Elhrrah
    Offline / Send Message
    Elhrrah polycounter lvl 8
    It all really depends on the level of promotion you're aiming for.

If its a recruitment form, basic announcement, or news update I'd suggest Gamedev.net, deviantArt, 1up, ConceptArt.org, and, of course, polycount.

For the big stuff, though, Moddb is pretty much your best and only choice. Post your big releases there, and then link to them through the sites I listed above.

Another suggestion, is to take advantage of the social groups the other team members frequent, by having them post variations of your own canned news releases. It works great if they've been active members in whatever digital communities they belong to, and allows you to leverage that familiarity into more publicity.

So... What's the project?