Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhamma Dreadnought

Making like a viking kinda dreadnought... and i figured hey what the best of both worlds, a big machine gun cannon thing, and a flame thrower!

Still very wip, allot of stuff is just a block out.. more updates to come!

**LATEST**
Dreadnotwip2.jpg

Replies

• Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    So basically it'll be a Space Wolves Dreddy?

Nice detailing so far, BTW, though the title made me think of a Warhammer Fantasy Orc attempt at a steam (or pully!) powered Dreddy. :D
  • Geledonutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heck yeah it's like a space wolve dreadnoott, cept i wanted to do it with more like viking influences and theme.

Haha a pully powered dreadnought would be badass...

I was thinking about making this guy a buddhist dreadnought, Peace or death! maybe that will be version 2 ;)
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Very cool Geledonutt, I am modeling a DreadKnought myself at the moment, do you plan on texturing it ?
  • Geledonutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heck yah I'm going to texture it!

Little update.. keeping with my theme of viking!

Dreadnotwip1.jpg
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    For some reason a goofy Warhammer Dreadnaught Costume Contest came to mind... including the things that USED to be called Dreadnaughts in the older versions, like the Orky Killer Kann, and the Eldar Wraithlord.

To be exact, I had a mental image of a wraithlord in a low-cut shirt, tight pants, and a little wig on top - the Wraithlord of the Dance!
  • Geledonutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So.... I see we are both on the same page! Shhh my next project was a wraith lord in hot pants and a mesh shirt!

My theory with warhammer is does it look ridiculous? Make it look a little bit more. Got a big gun? Make it bigger!

In any case I've started to work on the big cannon and flame thrower... I'll post up some renders soon.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    ok im not gonna knock this the idea is good...

But I think you need to do some homework there chief

Technically "space vikings" exist already , ALL the stuff from space wolves are viking influenced Look more how they incorporate designs of wolf + Viking stuff into there designs.

The viking helm isnt to hot its looking rather childish. if your going with a way to decorate the front like that I would redo the entire front area to be more like a head design like seen in the vernerbale dreadnaughts

Heres some interesting links for you to look at to get you in the right direction

http://www.the-warforge.com/category/lotd/legiondreads
  • Geledonutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've learned allot about warhammer just from this model alone... prior to starting it my only knowledge of warhammer was dawn of war2.. so I'm still learning all the little ins and outs about the lore.

I'm still working on the helmet bit quite a bit, I've tossed the current one and I'm coming up with something cooler :)

Thanks for the crits and advice! hope to make something that would make even a warhammer fan happy to see
  • Geledonutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My latest Wip.. Haven't had much time to work on it until this week. However I'm getting back into it, and I think it's looking good :)

Dreadnotwip2.jpg
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    I think that your problem is that you aren't using reference enough. There is a ton of wh40k reference, with many different designs and weapons. The best reference I've found is on forgeworld and gamesworkshop . Take elements you like and combine them together, and make your own elements as needed, but it really helps to start off with a clear plan for each part of the design.

For example, the machine gun and flamethrower look very amateurish when compared to wh40k stuff, and kinda feels like you are making it up as you go along. I would recommend finding components and designs you like from the hundreds of wh40k components, and then tweaking them to fit the concept in your head.

For example, I think taking elements of these two flamethrowers and combining them would look pretty cool.

infernocannonmkv.jpg

multimeltastore1.jpg

And some cool machine gun / minigun designs:

assaultcannonstore.jpg

heavyboltersst.jpg

Or the ork style machine gun more closely fits with what you have:

bigshoot.jpg

flakk-gunstore.jpg

Also, the dreadnought itself seems like it might be a little too wide and stubby, and dreadnoughts are already wide and stubby.

dreadplasma.jpg

mkivdreadstore.jpg

Anyway, I'm not saying not to experiment or have fun with the design, but using more reference as a guide would definitely help.
  • Geledonutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think im getting the look and the overall feel down now. Hes a little less squat and i got rid of that huge cannon that was on the side and went with a more traditional warhammer cannon:)
    Dreadnotwip3.jpg