Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Glock

H0i
H0i
Hi,

I started modeling about two years ago. I never really got in to texturing, but I started doing that now.

Here's my glock. 784 triangles, 512*512 texture map, this model is for a first person shooter (q3 engine based), I'm really looking for some constructive critism so I can improve.

render3-1.pngrender1.pngrender2.pngWire-1.jpgglock-2.png

Replies

• Rang3r1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not much of a skinner either, but I can tell you that your base is too cloudy and noisy, at least for the metal parts. Adding subtle coloring also helps.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    I would suggest an AO map.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    I would suggest optimizing your geometry further. Do you have a tri limit? Also, I think your blacks are too dark, and the metal color is too light. This model also needs spec + normal.

p.s. Glocks are not made of metal.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    metal texture has too high contrast. it looks like a shade of green. if anything, it should have a shade of blue.

keep up the good work.
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It appears to be of paper. Nice origami :P

Add AO/Spec/Normal and this will be better.

Cheers!
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Uhm.... why does everybody say that 'good' looking stuff has to be made with normals and specular?

Anyway.

Try not to use a phototexture as your metal base and paint lighting into your texture
    to fake the reflections/lighting/specular. And use another base for the synthetic stuff.

Also what rang3r said about the cloudy look of the metal.
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL wrote: »
    Uhm.... why does everybody say that 'good' looking stuff has to be made with normals and specular?

Not just necessarily good looking, but having different maps for each attribute of a material for how it acts in real world, gives better control over how it should appear in real-time/renders.

While painting in those is somewhat quicker, but then it wouldn't react accordingly to the surroundings in-game, which is very much required, especially if its a handheld weapon/prop like this one. You can't paint in reflections when the object is not stationary in the given premises,.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Read what he wrote... its for quake 3 so oldschool texturing seems quite appropriate.
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    Ok I am pretty bad at painting texture but here is a old example I did (that I really don't like now but w/e)
    623800diffuse.jpg
    This may not be the best example but you need to define your materials a little better and normally when hand painting the light I tend to paint the highlights by hand and don't rely on a ao map.
  • H0i
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    H0i
    I can only use diffuse for this, no spec/normal, ect. Also I do have an ao map (made with xNormal), but I had trouble putting it in the texture well and it came out a bit strange. Some tips on rendering ao and how to use it in textures will be great.

How should I make my base metal? What I do now is the render>clouds and then sponge method, and I add some blobbyness by painting white and black with various dirt brushes, on a layer with low opacity.

It will takes ages to fix this, so I'm going to do something new and keep all suggestions in mind.
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL wrote: »
    Read what he wrote... its for quake 3 so oldschool texturing seems quite appropriate.

That is correct, but read what you had asked, you generalized the question, so you get an answer based on extensive technology.
    H0i wrote: »
    I can only use diffuse for this, no spec/normal, ect. Also I do have an ao map (made with xNormal), but I had trouble putting it in the texture well and it came out a bit strange. Some tips on rendering ao and how to use it in textures will be great.

How should I make my base metal? What I do now is the render>clouds and then sponge method, and I add some blobbyness by painting white and black with various dirt brushes, on a layer with low opacity.

It will takes ages to fix this, so I'm going to do something new and keep all suggestions in mind.

For baking in - Maya or Max
    Use multiply for AO map on the diffuse map, that should work just fine..

Your currents are well made, just need a bit of contrast I suppose..
  • Caleo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 wrote: »
    p.s. Glocks are not made of metal.

Sure they are. Glocks aren't "ceramic" like a lot of movies would like to have you believe - the slide, barrel and many of the inner workings are made out of steel. The frame, however, is indeed not made of metal - instead being a polymer.

..and as many people said, the texture is too light. Glocks hover more towards black in real life (unless you blast them with flash like a lot of reference photos on the internet do). In reality there's not really much difference at all between the grippy part of the frame and the rest of it. The frame could possibly benefit from some noise as well. Front sight post is too low as well.. but overall it's not bad for a low poly model.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I suggest watching a glock cleaning/ review video on Youtube. You get to look,hear and learn. That'll give you more input than photographs.

Skip ahead until you see an actual glock.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=866LWMsvUsc[/ame]
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha hilarious video i stopped at 4 mins but they were class.