Home General Discussion

Art Institute of LA

Hey polycount.

So as some of you know... I'm in the college application process. I've been looking at a bunch of schools and one of them is the Art Institute of LA. Last night I had a 2 hour phone interview that went really well. But I'm looking for some more information from alumni of the Game Art program.

I'm looking for any information/opinions on faculty, facilities, and quality of education. But I also would like it if only the people who have had experience with the school or are alumni's of the school respond. That way I know your opinion is based on your experience and not with what you have heard.

Thanks
Talbot

Replies

• crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    AI san diego ain't so bad. If it's any indication we have a much stronger presence on polycount :D. We've all made a post or two about our feelings of a degree program for game art. A search for "art institute" would probably provide you all kinds of different views from this forum, would help you a lot! Whatever you decide to do, good luck, and if you end up at AI san diego, cool beans we'll have to hang out and make polygons together some time.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Most of us have little faith in Art Institutes. Of course, the Art Institute of Los Angeles is probably better than most, as there are a lot of Game Developers in the LA area. So it is more likely that they have a decent recruitment turnover.

I still maintain that it is a better idea to get a computer science degree, and work on game art in your free time.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    It's not all bad. The curriculum can be off track at times, it's a bit expensive, but the guys around me who have a bit of talent, who work hard, all seem to make it in the end, even in these tough economic times. If you're serious about this, you know you're good at art, you could make a worse descision than the art institute and the curriculum gets better focused every year, excluding the mandatory general ed classes, which can actually be a nice break from doing art all the time.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I went to AI - San Diego and while I have complaints it like any degree program for any job field can lead you in the right direction and provide you with the basic skills to get a job.

So can learning on your own but having a degree is a nice thing to have even though in our industry it is not a must have.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    AI- Orange County

As long as you get the right teachers, it can be worth every penny. I recommend AI Sand Deigo. Carlos Dominges and Don Ott teach their. OC might be worth looking into. Dont talk to the REPS. They are full of lies. Talk to the teachers on the off hours or even students. Finally, look at their CURRENT portfolio work specific to game art. Worth seeing what type of work the school is putting out their that isnt 10 years old.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the nods Paul, but I teach at Laguna College of Art and Design now and Carlos is at AI San Diego :)

I work with a handful of graduates from the LA school here at High Moon though, and for the most part they seem to have had a pretty positive experience. If you really want some "insider" info, like others have said, look through some of the many school threads we have around here.

Definitely agree with what Paul is saying about current portfolio pieces. I see this at the school I attended as well as where I have taught in that what they are showing isn't always the most current, and they will only show a very small handful of student work. I completely understand why that is from a marketing standpoint - but if 50% or more of the students aren't producing current-gen quality art, start asking why.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    AI - San Diego alumni here. I've heard some good things about AI LA as well, I know some folks with some really good work come from there such as 00Zero. I don't know how they run their curriculum compared to AiCSD.

The school did a fine job in pointing me in the right direction and the instructors do their best to keep slackers at bay and ensuring students are prepared with sharp portfolios before they leave. Just like any school however, it's up to individuals to persue their desires and invest the extra effort outside of school to succeed. I can't stress this enough. Graduation and getting a job is one feat, actually working in a Studio is where the real learning starts.
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    ....just stay away from AI chicago. PLEASE.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Challenge yourself, apply to Art Center.
  • PolyHertz
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    keizza wrote: »
    ....just stay away from AI chicago. PLEASE.

Really? I went to AI Chicago and had a majorly positive experience. You can get a lot out of the teachers there (especially now that certain teachers who got their jobs through nepotism have been shown the door).

There seems to be two types of students there, those who blame their failure on the school and those who shut the fuck up and try to learn something. I graduated alongside this guy, which makes me feel a small but humbling sense of inadequacy every day.

My main problem was that I was perpetually about three months behind the curve, which in itself is about three months behind where it should be. As my life drawing teacher put it "by the time you pass my class you will be ready for my class". I couldn't help but feel that the teachers I had who were working at Midway, while amazingly helpful, were operating on a level just out of my comprehension. Meanwhile, Dave there, he'd been in Zbrush since high school.

So in other words, if you are going to sign up make sure you've got a bit of experience under your belt, make some low poly characters for the 500 tris thread. Get some DVDs if you can, Gnomonology has some good stuff. Also, save up some money, because Sallie Mae is essentially legalized loan sharking.

edit: Ok, I just checked out your site. Yeah, you should be able to get a lot out of the school if the teachers there are as knowledgeable as some of the ones in Chicago. Still, avoid Sally Mae like the plague.
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    flaagan wrote: »
    Challenge yourself, apply to Art Center.

I second this. I did the AI thing. They taught me the basics, I learned the rest on polycount. Looking back I really wish I did a traditional art school. AI will teach you the tools, but they won't really teach you to be an artist. Just my two cents.
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Graduated from AIOC and it was good depending on the teacher. Although I did teach myself the meat of stuff from this site and other like sites. If you have a strong desire to learn and understand the process then you could try doing it on your own with Gnomon Stuff and sites like this.

Nick Marks runs AI LA from what I heard and he knows his shit. I went to AIOC but I learned a lot from him and his videos. I also work with 3 guys who went to AILA and 2 are artists and one designer and they are the shit! I have also seen some of the other students succeed form there and their stuff is top class too.

I don't know if I would encourage someone to spend 70 to 80k though for what it is.. But read the threads here and see what others recommend and have to say. Good Luck.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    A fine art course or an illustration course (if you want to do characters) at a good art university/academy will do more good to you than doing a 'game art course' setup by a school. Usually game art courses do little to prepare you for studio life whilst leaving out some important art fundamentals.

Learning tools is easy compared to learning how to make good art. I'd suggest you look into doing more traditional art than digital stuff, but in the end it is always up to you to decide :)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    AIFL here - I had a pretty good experience. However even within AI's there can be big differnces in quality what I heard, and even at AI's your experience can be quite different depending on what teachers you get. All this makes it quite hard to compare AI's and people's experiences :/
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    I went to AI - LA(Santa Monica) it's better than any other AI. Teachers know their shit.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I went to AI Pittsburgh.... I had a good time..learned some things. But it wasn't worth the mountain of student loans I have to pay now. If i had it to do over, I would have went the traditional route