Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dwarf (Wooden-tankard clan)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Firebat polycounter lvl 11
Character made in free time for fun and relax. I wanted to test with this model animations and UDK staff at all.

3920 tri dwarf and 704 tri axe. Maps 1024x1024 / 512x512

There is still few problems (deformated fingers and some normals bugs)

Rig test:

3finfixed.jpg

1fin.jpg
2fin.jpg

Replies

• g0th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    g0th triangle
    Very nice!

I think the shoulders looks a bit weird though and I'm really digging the beerish top of the axe
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love that axe, is that a tankard on top? Ha ha ha nice...
    Some great textures too.

The back muscles seem a little weird just below the neck by the spine, thats kind of a deep pit?

The hands are deforming kind of poorly, they seem to be losing a lot of volume, I'm not sure if its the topology or if its skin weighting? If you take a wire frame of the hands I can probably point out some things to try to give him some nice meaty mits when he makes a fist.

The beard could use a few opacity maps to break up the silhouette.

I think the iris/pupil are kind of small giving him a bit of a crazy eye look. I think two things are contributing to this, the whites of his eyes and the pupil/iris being so small.

It helps to tint the whites of the eyes with a bit of flesh color instead of pure white it help fake a bit of shadowing as well as factors in little things like veins that you may not necessarily be able to draw in. Something kinda like this:
    DwarfEyes.gif
  • die_Kröte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3rd that tankard built into the axe. If that's not dwarven, I don't know what is.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Aha, awesome. Where can I get an axe like that?
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Nice, really liking the style. The weapon is pretty badass too.
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    I am all kinds of loving this! But I agree with Vig with that beard needing a little loving :) Even though a dwarf probably doesn't take care of it anyway! HA!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needs a lil bird too... or maybe a bead that helps contain it?
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    im fairly sure i used to work with him.... although i dont recall the axe lying about.... tbh i think he needs a helmet or something..... i get a weird feeling that its a little out of balance
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    I love it! It has tons of character.
  • Wayfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good!
    Maybe craneum is a bit too big for ma taste.. but not necessarily wrong
    Awesomely designed Axe :D
    cheers
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    re-do his fingers!!! they look awful! other than his fingers everything else looks great
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i find his nose and lips ugly and weird, and i second the fingers
  • Legion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion polycounter lvl 11
    I have to hand it to you Firebat, I'm absolutely digging the character. A little bit of a unpreportioned/cartoony feel never hurt anyone. Personally, I think it is a well-needed breath of air. Characters like the one you've created here do give a deep sense of personality (character), even more so than many realistic pieces.

As mentioned above, there is a few things to point out. You've already probably read through those posts though so no need for me to repeat and or quote others. : ) I would have a couple little recommendations if you would like to hear them:
    I would seperate the ears a little more from the head, in my opinion, just so they have a stronger definition.
    And I probably would have tried to experiment with -maybe- bushier eyebrows.

Again though, this is all just an opinion from me! The work, again, looks great so far. Definitely keep up the good work. I have some other little details if your interested, but I'll keep them in reserve for now.

PS- I must agree with everyone else's post so far... "I love that axe."
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dig the shit out of the axe... very stylized, cool shape to it. The only suggestion I'd make is to give the guy some kind of body hair. Right now he looks almost shaved which is erotic, but probably not the intent.
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebat polycounter lvl 11
    g0th: Thnx. I had to fix the seam on the shoulders manually, thats why they looks a little wired.
    Vig: You gave me a lot of usefull advices. I'll try to repair what i can on texture level, coz i dont want to move backward to sculpt and baking normals. I preapare beard as detached model so in next up probably i'll use other haircut.(More detailed etc)
    die_Kröte: Thnx.
    Slum: Heh. Nice to hear that you like it.
    brandoom: Thnx.
    Sirdelita: Haircut is changeable. I give more attenction to next beard.
    Nistrum: I have in plans to add him shield, shoulder pads and a light armour. But the helmet...hmm...maybe in next model.
    tanka: Thnx.
    Wayfa: Thnx.
    ru4it: Indeed,fingers are major bug in this model. Retopology and rebake maps could be really painfull, so I just leave them as they look.
    achillesian: Could you specyfi
    Legion: I love the idea with bushier eyebrows. They should make him looking fun. I'll experiment with alphas. Thanx for advices and motiwation.
    Amadreaus: Thnx. With body hair he would look realy wired. My goal was to make him a little wow, cartoon stylized.

I'll post next up when some other parts will be finished (fixes, shield, maybe shoulder pads, animation).