Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Magic Stall

working on this stall for a indie game and wanted some input here is what i have so far. I'm just making the stall all extras(books,flasks,.. etc) will be added at a later time.

stall_wire-1.jpg

magic3.jpg

magic2323CompleteMapcopy.jpg

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work on the low-poly magic stall. :)

Improvising this wont hurt.
  • serialkiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice looking forward to see some props on it
  • Turbosmooth Operator
    The end result looks good, but I think you could achieve the same effect with a much smaller texture size if you utilized tiling, mirroring and stacking some of the elements such as the ornamental cloth. The three portions could easily be stacked onto one uv island to save a lot of space. At very least, mirroring the texture wouldn't hurt the end effect at all, IMO.
  • undeadink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr- thank you.

serialkiler- thank you, unfortunately i don't get to do the props for this stall but i might just do some because its driving me crazy how dull it looks right now.

Turbosmooth Operator-- yeah i agree on the texture size and some mirroring. i'm going to be taking the texture size down but i don't agree with everything else your saying how would you stack three textures that that none of them are the same texture? the bottom is not the same you can clearly see that there isn't extra details put on the top of the tent. also dont know how i'd tile if some of the areas are 2 tris.
  • Turbosmooth Operator
    undeadink wrote: »
    Nitewalkr- thank you.

serialkiler- thank you, unfortunately i don't get to do the props for this stall but i might just do some because its driving me crazy how dull it looks right now.

Turbosmooth Operator-- yeah i agree on the texture size and some mirroring. i'm going to be taking the texture size down but i don't agree with everything else your saying how would you stack three textures that that none of them are the same texture? the bottom is not the same you can clearly see that there isn't extra details put on the top of the tent. also dont know how i'd tile if some of the areas are 2 tris.
    Adding some extra geometry to easily halve the texture size is a healthy trade off. Looking at the geo, simply mirroring the model down the middle would add at most 20 tris. I realize the stripes are offset but they could easily be adjusted. The main forms (cloth stretches) are already mirrored anyway. The only thing that looks unique is the dirt overlay.

Now, this depends on the perspective and how close the player will get to the asset, but is the little variation the overlay gives worth quadruple the texture size? The backside will likely never be visible, so you could easily mirror the entire roof from a single quadrant. Mirroring and stacking the UV's would allow you to have a 512x512 with no lose of texture quality, maybe even gain some. The downside would be that you'd have to tone down some of the grunge map on the roof.

2eococi.jpg
  • undeadink