Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Assualt rifle

Hey Everyone!

Here is a gun I have been working on recently. For now I think I am done with it but please feel free to give any comments or crits!

Based on Bill Stutte's awesome assualt rifle concept.

6708 Tris
2048 Textures

rifle_UDK.jpg
rifle_High_wire.jpg
rifle_textureSheet.jpg

Replies

• NoChance
    You scratched almost every edge on the grey metal............. Like solid scratched surface on every edge.........

The ammo clip should be a grey to seperate it from the gun body and make it more distinct.

Your tri count is pretty high and your texture seems to large since there doesn't seem to be a lot of detail in your texture or normal maps. 8k tris and a 2048 texture map isn't necessarily bad for a weapon but there should be a lot more detail for that size of map and that amount of tris.

The gun looks like its an airsoft gun, it looks like plastic, the spec needs work.

It doesn't look like any of your screws have a normal map on them, so they just look painted on. The texture on the butt of the rifle looks odd I don't know what you were going for there. Visible clipping on the pad on the butt of the rifle that makes the edge look jagged.

I'm not quite sure what the glowing indicator is since it seems to be a regular rifle and not a sci fi weapon, and it doesn't fit in with the camo colors you have. A glowing indicator isn't very camouflaged.

It needs some black rubber pieces. I think you used the same grey color for the metal and the pads on the butt and the end of the scope and it makes it seem like its also metal.

Overall needs some work, take out half the scratches and break them up to look more natural. Also, I'm not sure why your using a 2048 texture when theres no texture or normal map detail you honestly could size it down to a 512 and get the same results since all your details seem to be modeled in. You should try to find a balance between normal detail and model detail.
  • Vonklaus
    NoChance wrote: »
    You scratched almost every edge on the grey metal............. Like solid scratched surface on every edge.........

The ammo clip should be a grey to seperate it from the gun body and make it more distinct.

Your tri count is pretty high and your texture seems to large since there doesn't seem to be a lot of detail in your texture or normal maps. 8k tris and a 2048 texture map isn't necessarily bad for a weapon but there should be a lot more detail for that size of map and that amount of tris.

The gun looks like its an airsoft gun, it looks like plastic, the spec needs work.

It doesn't look like any of your screws have a normal map on them, so they just look painted on. The texture on the butt of the rifle looks odd I don't know what you were going for there. Visible clipping on the pad on the butt of the rifle that makes the edge look jagged.

I'm not quite sure what the glowing indicator is since it seems to be a regular rifle and not a sci fi weapon, and it doesn't fit in with the camo colors you have. A glowing indicator isn't very camouflaged.

It needs some black rubber pieces. I think you used the same grey color for the metal and the pads on the butt and the end of the scope and it makes it seem like its also metal.

Overall needs some work, take out half the scratches and break them up to look more natural. Also, I'm not sure why your using a 2048 texture when theres no texture or normal map detail you honestly could size it down to a 512 and get the same results since all your details seem to be modeled in. You should try to find a balance between normal detail and model detail.

Hey NoChance, thanks for the detailed crit! I will definitely keep your advice in mind when I revisit this model. I agree about the texture resolution, I will probably end up with a 1024. As for the ridiculous amount of scratches, haha, I did get carried away, but in the end I plan on leaving a good amount in there. Making a point to contrast what areas have the scratches is something that I can do easily and I think I will.

One thing that is still a big issue is the bolts not doing much in the normal map. I did all the bolts as floating geometry and I will have to play around with that a bit more to get stronger results.

Thanks again for the crit and when I get around to making the changes I will be sure to post it back up!
  • Hitez
    the scratched edges makes it look crazy :poly142:
  • Skurcey
    yep, i dont like the scratches
    and i would add the handle that seems too thin
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    you may wanna keep wkin on the texture. But the model is really good!
  • HAL
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    The highpoly model looks good BUT it looks like you got some problems viewing it in udk as the smooth edges that are present in the normal map do not view in udk. e:// to clear this up they should but you did something wrong

What did you use to bake the normal map? that might give us an idea of the problem.

In addition your uvs have a lot distortion in them, while that isnt that essential for baked textures it can make texturing a lot easier especially when you're using procedural stuff like noise or something or phototextures because it avoids stretching them.

Regarding the texture:

Your diffuse almost has no detail in it, change that.

General rule for scratches that works perfectly for me: Dark in diffuse/brighter in specular. You might want to experiment with that though.

There seems to be an error in a face below the scopes above the stock.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Yeah, I agree with HAL and what the others are saying.
    I think your normals look really good, but you sort of killed it with your diffuse and spec.
    Have you ever seen racer's tutorials? You might want to check them out. He goes in detail about how he makes his metal look realistic, and stresses to use less scatches and make them make sense.
  • Vonklaus
    HAL wrote: »
    The highpoly model looks good BUT it looks like you got some problems viewing it in udk as the smooth edges that are present in the normal map do not view in udk. e:// to clear this up they should but you did something wrong

What did you use to bake the normal map? that might give us an idea of the problem.

In addition your uvs have a lot distortion in them, while that isnt that essential for baked textures it can make texturing a lot easier especially when you're using procedural stuff like noise or something or phototextures because it avoids stretching them.

Regarding the texture:

Your diffuse almost has no detail in it, change that.

General rule for scratches that works perfectly for me: Dark in diffuse/brighter in specular. You might want to experiment with that though.

There seems to be an error in a face below the scopes above the stock.

Hey guys! When I baked the normal I tried using xNormal at first but the results were quite bad so I went back to using Transfer maps in maya. I did make sure to flip the green channel. When I exported the model with ActorX the smoothing groups may not have been attached, I will try that again.

As for the face problem, I think those are fine. I did have a very strange issue with the holes above the barrel. All the normals warped from that corner, to get it to work I hand painted those normals in, haha.

@ BradMyers82
    I did see Racer's tutorial and tried to use a few of his techniques, they didn't work out that great though, haha. This was my first attempt at a gun and when I make the changes it should come out a lot better.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!