Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Illidan Stormrage [WIP]

So this is my first attempt at creating a character, I decided to try and make my favorite Warcraft character, Illidan Stormrage. The images below show my progress so far, minus the wings head and horns, ill be putting this into Zbrush once its at a decent enough stage. I used a human sillouette to get the shape, however ive been using the following link for refernces:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=2526801&blogId=120538300

All crits are welcome as id like to be pointed in the right direction and correct my mistakes, thank you.

[img][/img]illidan01.png

[img][/img]illidan02.png

[img][/img]illidan03.png

Replies

• edoran89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good start, first thing that stood out to me is the size of the thighs/clower waste area. compared to the rest of the body i think the thighs are a little small
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do not recommend ZBrush for your skill level, you need to focus on basic form. Study anatomical reference before touching your modeling app.

It's easier to work with less while in this stage, it's also faster. Check out some of the lowpoly threads and build something like that first. Once you push your mesh to a shape that can no longer describe structure, then it's appropriate to subdivide and define the next level of forms. Repeat this several times. It's also wise to define everything as a whole. Don't leave the head off because it's daunting, it will be more difficult to manage this workflow in the long run.

Good start, keep it up. Remember that less is more.
  • urbine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havnt updated this in a while, kind of negelcted it. I havnt really been working on this in an efficient kind of way, left out the ears, barely touched the hooves/trousers etc. But heres some progress:

illidansculpt023.png

illidansculpt024.png
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Wow Huge improvement over base-mesh, The hands look the weakest right now maybe a closeup to see the forms better?

Granted I ain't no expert :)
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can honestly that I wasn't expecting such a big leap in the very next post. Big improvment on the sculpt.
  • urbine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok wrote: »
    Wow Huge improvement over base-mesh, The hands look the weakest right now maybe a closeup to see the forms better?

Granted I ain't no expert :)

been kind of avoiding the hands, I kinda messed up the edges between the fingers, there pinching like hell.

Slight update on the trousers, would love some more crit :)

illidansculpt025.png
  • urbine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can honestly that I wasn't expecting such a big leap in the very next post. Big improvment on the sculpt.

pick this project back up about a week ago I think, got plenty of progress pics, just thought I'd post the most recent, as of 10 minutes ago :), bit of a newbie and making a lot of mistakes.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well hey, that picture is still awesome compared the that first one =P

Better than I could do...yet again, I am an animator. Haha.

Well, good luck.
  • insaneklown89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, the only advice I would have would be since it is a WoW character you are probably going to want to exaggerate the proportions a bit more. For example bigger hands, and hooves. A more exaggerated torso and so on. Besides that just keep refining those muscles and you'll have an awesome piece.
    IllidanStormrage.jpg