Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cutman Remake (WIP)

Well this was my entry for a recent contest at www.gamestepper.com the contest was to redesign one of the original character from Mega Man 1. I choose to redesign cutman. We had a 10k tri budget and all textures could total a single 2k map.
you can see the other entries here:
http://gamestepper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4035

Unfortunately i did not place but i still like it anyways.
winners here:
http://gamestepper.com/forums/showthread.php?p=43033#post43033

I plan on developing the textures further and have been working on a pedestal for a turntable. Any feedback is appreciated, there is a lot i could have done better, and i only had one day for textures, posing, rendering, and composition so i might even just start the textures from scratch, depends what sort of feedback i get.

cutman_beauty.jpgcutman_layout.jpg

Replies

• Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Dr. is cool on that site, but it's a shame that no one else bothered to do any high poly sourcing for the final results. In execution alone this is already miles above the rest of the entries in my opinion. You got robbed, sir!
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed, and I don't think I could play such a sparkly mega man. O_o

Great work with your model, I'd only exaggerate the blade a lot more. From a distance, it doesn't scream "CUUUT MAAAAN", y'know?
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    I looked into it the Gutsman (which won 3rd place) the ice man and yours were all above the others in presentation and style and originality.

your texturing could use some love with its spec which can add more to it

Metals really get there love from a proper spec , and almost a entirely different metal within the spec as a overlay itself.

you need some more love with color, overall Red on top of red is fine but the glowing bits being red to is a bit overkill

try some orange or even yellows .
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    I like this model. I think he looks cool. I agree a little bit about the blade/saw too, i think it needs a little bit more emphasis to bring the character to life.. Give it a go, might look sweet. Great work man.
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is a quick shot of the pedestal I'm working on. I plan to have the rings in the center rotate with the model and the base stay fixed. And since this shot Ive added the name of the character to the base with some extruded text. I think i may just start the texturing of the body from scratch i would have preferred 2k maps for the body, was not quite able to get the detail i wanted out of the 1k. Also my original design had wires and cables running along side the legs through those holes so i may go make the alphas for those as well.
    Also Ive been contemplating secondary details, like possible locations for bolts or screws, maybe some service hatches or something. I'm up for ideas.

pedestal_1.jpg
  • torontoanimator
    ill be honest, im shocked. i LOVE your cutman interpretation, i really didnt care for the megaman model, though admittedly the 3rd place gutsman WAS quite cool, but you totally should have placed, yours is awesome
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    this is BITCHEN!!! good job man. wish i could do that. lol
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that megaman sucked imho
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    yea dude, yours and that gutsman were by far the best imo. awesome job
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agreed with all of the below, while it could use alot of work in the spec, there is no question that this model stomps that mega man, the judges are utterly crazy.
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so here is an update i made this turntable today for my portfolio class.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ezzgxzmzxim
    sorry its not an embedded video but should be fast to download.
    this one may be a bit saturated depending on what media player you use ive seen mixed results.
    and here it is in 1080 if your interested.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?wjxzn2tyjzg

its all real-time i captured it from the maya viewport. i still need to finish the pedestal and add some lights to the pedestal pointing up at the model to make it more dramatic. my main challenge here was doing a real-time turntable in maya that would be similar to what i was getting in marmoset. so i developed a shader in mental mill and i think i got pretty decent results. one of the features i imlpemented in this shader was an ambient environment cubemap (based off what i learned from Kodde shader). Then i am using another cubemap to add reflections etc. Also this is a ward shader but im not really using the specular direction components for this. but the shader does support anisotropic direction mapping, and since that seemed to work well with carbon fiber type stuff it also has options to add tiled textures to be used as fibers or whatever else works, and then of course a clear coat that can be adjusted for various looks.
    Here i am just using its diffuse, spec, nrm, and refl tex inputs, the ambient env cubemap, the reflection cubemap, and the clear coat.
    lighting is 3 points and 1 directional, and sry no shadows yet its one of the limitations of using cgfx with maya, im limited to one render pass.
    Other than that i plan to finish the pedestal a bit and clean up the platform he stands on it has some placeholder texture there now, and i am in the process of making a cubemap in maya, so the platform will reflect cutman more appropriately.
    so ill prob work it some more so any feedback would be useful.

ill prob do a embedded video once i have a final version.

Havent had the time to check out the turntable yet...internet at work is super slow :(

I really dig this though. I think that the blades on the head should be larger,and I think that having a more saturated red would have been nice.

Looking foward to the final version!