Home General Discussion

Which type of dragon wings?

Hi,
I'm making a dragon (remaking rather) for my rigger friend. She said however I do it it's fine as long as the typology is good. Im debating whether I should give her a dragon with double sided wings, single sided wings, or just skeleton wings with separated planes in between. I know for ncloth it has to be single sided but she's not doing ncloth but influence. Now making different forms of wings won't be much of a prob for me. the problem comes in when i have to UV and texture the thing and I do have other projects to do other than playing with multiple dragon UV and textures all day.
So I guess it comes down to, what kid of wings would be more professional and presentable? like in the cut scenes in games, are the dragon wings single or double sided? Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ask her.
    If she knows what she's doing she'll be able to tell you better than anyone here can.

It kind of depends on the rendering engine. If it allows each side of the poly to be lit differently then you're probably ok to go single.

2 planes next to each other back to back would be bit of a challenge to keep them from poking through each other but not impossible.

I imagine single planes would work best unless there is a technical issue like getting them to light correctly. With a single plane she can shell it after its been skinned to double it up. The new verts will inherit the old verts skin weighting and it should keep clipping to a min. She can then animate the shell parameter to adjust the thickness while animating to help control clipping. That is if she needs to double them up which she probably doesn't.

Are the wings going to have battle damage holes in them? Going to use opacity maps or model it?
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Vig! She told me she does not have issue with the faces poking through each other in the last dragon of mine she rigged. We'll probably stick with that, as you said, double side probably safer for shading and lighting.
    The dragon looks rather regal so I don't think I'm going to have holes in them.