Home Technical Talk

Mouth reconstruction (Face talk)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Hello fellow polycounters;

I have been self learning 3ds max and practicing creating my own character. Right now I am at the dead-end and will have to recontruct the head that I am making due to mouth. The mouth was constructed as I wanted it to be but the jawline really made his face look bigger and does not match the endline of the head.

How many of you are topology sevy, espacially in terms of mouth?

r2fy.jpg

A different type of mouth, it has been decayed over time and showing bones and outlines of the teeth?

Why such a screwed up topology?

r2hdf.jpg

r2hdpresp.jpg

I will be making this face again. My question to you guys is how many of you went through the trouble of making the face for High Def Poly face, before implimenting normal UVs? Or have you guys relied on Bumps, and Normal maps (still have yet to study this part of 3d modeling but it is good to discuss this out with people who have been there and done that.)

22 1/2 K polyz = NurmsSmooth Intration 2.

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    Update to notes: Either I will remake this entire model, or I will simply delete the face till the end of the neck and remake it. I am still trying to figure out if I should rely on the bump/normal UVs map or should I work on the mouth.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    umm, you wrote typology, but you mean "topology" right?

first things to do in a face, is rounded mouth and eyes. I know there are more than 3 ways to do it, but I like very much this example:

Fig%2002%20Face%20Loops%20Around%20the%20Hard%20Parts.jpg

Following these pink lines will make your animation going smooth. As for remaking, why not using what you have as a base mesh and then retopologing it?
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    yes!! sorry for the wrong spelling. =\

I was also talking about not so human like mouth. Say for example if you are making a character who does not talk in game at all but roars you will just leave cuts on the face where mouth suppose to be.

You mean to say that I should construct the regular mouth and than modify it?
    Following these pink lines will make your animation going smooth. As for remaking, why not using what you have as a base mesh and then retopologing it?

Because I got lost while I was fixing the back of the jaw line. I was cleaning the vertecies and realized that I connected back of the jawline, start of the neck and ear line all togather which made a star like part ( 1 vertex combined 6-9 polies togather). Not sure if you understood what I mean.

Will post again after I reconstruct the jaw. Just needed an help in terms of creating the mouth such as the one I tried to, should I just simply create it or refine this as it is. Also I heared that low def model should be under 10k polies. So I am trying to be picky about creating more faces on it. Also should I rely on the bump maps? Or modify the topology of the mesh? (retopologying it <.<)
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    On an unrelated note, loving that blender screenshot, thats a great preview material there ...
  • Valandar
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    yes!! sorry for the wrong spelling. =

I was also talking about not so human like mouth. Say for example if you are making a character who does not talk in game at all but roars you will just leave cuts on the face where mouth suppose to be.

No, you still have to have those rounded edge loops.

The reason is that no matter what the character does, the anatomy is still that of rings of muscle surrounding the mouth. If your character just had a slit mout with no edges, it would look unnatural, mechanical, and like the critter / character's skin was just a mask over some sort of robotic attempt at a face.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT: *Removed*

EDIT2: I have updated the head so it isnt the same as the one in OP. Will post it when I get home.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    *Sigh*

I honestly didnt know that to make a humanoid you have to follow the human topology still. I mean what if you are making a turen or a half human with now lower jaw and stuff like that?

will have to give up and redo at certain point...or create the entire character to have a better understanding of the head and why it was the way it was in the OP.

updateda.jpg

updated2.jpg

Not sure if you guys understood what I am trying to do here. =\
  • bbob
    Yes, if the mouth is vaguely human, it needs to have a round flow, one or two lines going over the upper lip, and one or two running over the nose.

It is quite essential and there is no way of getting around it unless you are giving the guy a squid mouth.

As much as it sucks, I would recommend you to redo your model. Just remember, if you find something difficult, it means its an opportunity to learn. The more tenacious you are in trying to break out of your comfort zone, the bigger it will get.

Get on with it and I promise you, you will not regret it.

A good tip for starting a model, is beginning with the orifices, doing those from planes, instead of from a box. Make the silhouette for eyes and mouth. also think about how the nose flows on the nostril flaps, instead of going from the tip, and blending into the cheek, it rather goes from the tip, up and back on itself.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going to redo it, but few members suggusted that I should work on this mesh. To find mistakes.

The character is part human, yes.

The mouth is decayed and have sewed like impression on it leaving cuts on the sides. That is why I didnt really bother making that round on the mouth.

It does not suck to redo something over and over if you have a complete dire desire for it, and to learn it. :) Thanks though.

I have tried this out and deleted it before....2ice before asking for help here.

Thanks for the input by the way bbob.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    bbob wrote: »
    Yes, if the mouth is vaguely human, it needs to have a round flow, one or two lines going over the upper lip, and one or two running over the nose.

It is quite essential and there is no way of getting around it unless you are giving the guy a squid mouth.

As much as it sucks, I would recommend you to redo your model. Just remember, if you find something difficult, it means its an opportunity to learn. The more tenacious you are in trying to break out of your comfort zone, the bigger it will get.

Get on with it and I promise you, you will not regret it.

A good tip for starting a model, is beginning with the orifices, doing those from planes, instead of from a box. Make the silhouette for eyes and mouth. also think about how the nose flows on the nostril flaps, instead of going from the tip, and blending into the cheek, it rather goes from the tip, up and back on itself.

Yes the similer strategy is to start with the line make the vertecies according to your ref image (I usually start with six) than convert it to a plane, extrude and tweek. (delete the mid plane ofcourse) Saves you hell lot of time. So than you are moving 3 planes at a time and tweeking them rather than creating one plane at a time and tweeking it.

Nice tip though, your strategy to create a poly is how most people use to create heads.