Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy Learning - Planar Analysis

jakelear
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
jakelear polycounter lvl 14
Hey all,
I've just started trying to get a good grip on anatomy.
I've picked up Sarah Simblet's Anatomy for the Artist and Scott Spencer's new Zbrush Digital Sculpting the Human Anatomy and I'm plugging away while trying to learn the muscle groups and structures.

Anywho, I figured I'd post this exercise to get some crits before moving forward.
This is a planar analysis meant to break the body into basic shapes for easier understanding.

planar1.jpg
planar2j.jpg

Tear into me!

Replies

• AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the lower leg is set too far back.. but om not really an anatomy master :P

Calf (sp?) muscle just looks too far back
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I think the area around the trapezius and scapulae looks too shelfy in the middle, like he's got back pecs. Check some ref, but I think it's going \___/ where it should go V|V.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Atlus: I've read that the calf is meant to be the farthest point back in a model standing straight up, however I'll definitely check it against the reference to try to perfect it.

@fly_soup: Good point. To my great inconvenience, I left my file on my work pc, but I'll definitely clean that up when I get back tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies guys!
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    Hands and feet are too small, in the hands it looks like the palm is the problem.
    His neck also looks a little thick in the front views, and the calf problem might be that it is too high on the lower leg.
    Well done though, keep working at it!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I would say dont do it with zbrush, just throw some simple primitives together in a regular 3d app and work from there. Youll learn much more that way.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior,
    Do you mean using multiple primitives/shapes and piling together to really grasp those shapes that drive the form of the body? If possible could you elaborate on what you mean? Thank you.

Here's today's progress on my sculpt, this is sculpted from a base mesh made in max and I'm working up piece by piece. At this point, every piece of the model will have more time spent on it, but the proportions and major shapes will be driven by this mesh.
    Working on the skull now, hence the hideous "mouth"
    anat1.jpg
    anat2.jpg
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good..

to me sculpting is the best way to learn anatomy... I learned some of it from.. zack petroc... his anatomy sculpting tutorial I watched that about 5 times. also I learned alot from this guy.. http://the-structure-of-man.blogspot.com/