Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sf4 Customized Arcade stick - Sakura / Makoto

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
---- February 2010 Stick ----

Hey once again to my fellow polycounters! I have completed one more stick! This time I decided to go for an old school theme with some half tone stuff. I think it turned out pretty good except for the fact i cut a tiny bit too much off of one of the corners on the design template. . . . but... other than that it looks good and feels great! Let me know what you guys think!

000_0009.jpg
000_0006.jpg
wip9_2.jpg

---- January 2010 Stick ----

Hey my fellow Poly dudes! I've been working on customizing my old arcade stick! A while back i thought it was super broken but it turned out it just needed a button swap for some fresh Sanwa parts. I ordered the parts and gave it a fresh paint job along with my own design (character artwork no mine). This process was ALOT~ of fun and I'm already working on a second stick (working on buying a 3rd one on ebay now also XD!)

000_0021.jpg
000_0022.jpg
MadCatzFightStick_PanelTemplate4.jpg

Def a lot of fun. I'll prob try using a different kind of paper on my next stick, but other than that it was a blasstttttt

- The General

Replies

• Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Wait did you use an original Hori stick as your base? This is awesome!
  • Generalvivi
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the Madcatz Se edition stick. It's really nice actually. Light weight and relatively small. I'm now currently addicted! I was going to ask the people of poly count if they wanted to draw some characters for the front design template.... but i got scarded. Maybe for the next one! Custom art always makes a stick kick that much more assss

- vivi
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    but i got scarded.

You mean scared? Or retarded? You got retarded? Listening to too much Black Eyed Peas? =p
  • ES_139
    did you post this on shoryuken? i was guna do artwork for mine but i didnt wan to take it apart! only thing iv done is switched the gate. Looks good, even though its not really 3d???? :s
  • Generalvivi
    Offline / Send Message
    YEAH SCARED!!!
    ES_139 wrote: »
    did you post this on shoryuken? i was guna do artwork for mine but i didnt wan to take it apart! only thing iv done is switched the gate. Looks good, even though its not really 3d???? :s

yeah I posted it in the "check out my new stick part deux" thread or whatever ... but it got passed by pretty quick by the loads of other sticks people are posting heh. I was also afraid to remove the art and stuff cause you really have to remove all of the decal to unscrew the metal panel. It wasn't too bad though. Once i get the process down to an art I could help you with yours if you need help :)
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Did you sand the spraypainted base after painting and do multiple coats, or is it just one coat? If you do a process of fine grit wet sanding + multiple fine coats, you can get a very professional feeling high quality finish instead of the textured 'icky' you get with a single coat of paint (thats what it looks like from your photos).
  • Generalvivi
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    Did you sand the spraypainted base after painting and do multiple coats, or is it just one coat? If you do a process of fine grit wet sanding + multiple fine coats, you can get a very professional feeling high quality finish instead of the textured 'icky' you get with a single coat of paint (thats what it looks like from your photos).

That's just the pictures giving it that feeling. I did about 5 coats of paint and wet sanding between each coat , then fallowed it up with 4 coats of gloss. It looks great in person heh (looks professional) the results are pretty sweet, i def took my time and didn't rush it ^^
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yay for modding, looks great.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Looking good!

It seems like you got new buttons but kept the original stick, right.

So while you are at it I would recommend inspecting the little circuit board triggering the 4 directions. It will likely be badly scratched and the copper is likely about to wear off - because of a faulty design on many of those retail sticks.

There might be hacks to work around that cheaply ; I fixed such a problem on a coworkers stick recently but ended up taking all the electronics out and replacing them by the components of a gamestop 360 pad. That way I could connect straight to the 4 directions of the PCB.

You could also get a Sanwa stick since, I believe it would connect to the little interface thingie just the same as the one they used on the Hori. With that workaround you wouldnt have to take any electronics out, but it will likely be more expensive.

Fun stuff huh!
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    great thread Jason! I want to do this to my SE sticks also. What buttons and stick do you recommend and where to buy them?
  • Generalvivi
    Offline / Send Message
    ah nope! the stick is a sanwa stick. I kept the ball top though :D! the other sanwa i got had a black top and didn't match that well. I actually just ordered another one for my other madcatz i'm working on. Pior this is just toooo much funnnnnnnnn Looking forward to working on the next one. I might trying taking apart one of my xbox pads and making a custom one from scratch. I know one of my other buddies at work is doing that atm.

I'm going to look into getting a different type of paper, atm I'm using matte paper. I think all that i really need to do with it is just get a nice plastic cover for it so water / sweaty hands don't damage it XD

I'll post more pics of the 2nd one as i get more done on it.
  • jakelear
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    Looks nice man, definitely would love to see more mod work with polycounter art incorporated.

Also, Pior makes me hot when he talks about electrical engineering.
  • Generalvivi
    Offline / Send Message
    haha! Yeah Id love to do a stick with polycounter art on it!
  • Generalvivi
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    great thread Jason! I want to do this to my SE sticks also. What buttons and stick do you recommend and where to buy them?

all sanwa parts

Go to lizardlick.com

-buttons = http://www.lizardlick.com/pages/pushbuttons.shtml
    -Joystick = http://www.lizardlick.com/pages/joysticks.shtml

they say in the descriptions in big RED letters " MADCATZ SE COMPATIBLE"

I have the

-Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT-SK Ball Handle Joystick, 4 & 8-Way Adjustable
    -Sanwa OBSF-30 Pushbutton
    - and an 8 gate replacement for the 4 gate.... I hate 4 gates!

- vivi
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    If you want to go for padhack, it really depends how many buttons you want. 8bouttons will gove you issues with a 360 pad as a base, since the triggers are analog and require a special electric hack. But if you just go for 6buttons youll be fine. You might have better soldering results if yo use a gamestop pad tho. Regular 360 I got it done for me (small soldier points), GameStop 360 I did it myself with no probelms.
  • Generalvivi
    Offline / Send Message
    ---- February 2010 Stick ----

Hey once again to my fellow polycounters! I have completed one more stick! This time I decided to go for an old school theme with some half tone stuff. I think it turned out pretty good except for the fact i cut a tiny bit too much off of one of the corners on the design template. . . . but... other than that it looks good and feels great! Let me know what you guys think!

000_0009.jpg
    000_0006.jpg
    wip9_2.jpg

PS. btw can anyone change the title of the thread to - "Vivi's Custom Arcade Sticks" ?
    it would be totally awesome...