Home General Discussion

Polycount Snow Trip 2010

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
I'll be heading over the United States on Saturday 6th Feb (less than a week) with hopes to re-locate to the country. But this isn't my blog so I'll leave it at that.

The purpose of this thread is to see if there any of you that would be keen to meet up for a snow trip before the snow season ends. I'll be primarily on the West Coast for the duration of the snow season (Sacramento, CA), but I am prepared to drive/fly/walk to another state if necessary.
I don't really know of good places to go, as I've never been snowboarding outside of Australia, so even advice would be ace.
I was looking at going at the tail end of February and if you're keen for a day trip, a few days, a week, which ever, I'd be keen to head out.

Snowboarders, skiers, first timers, pros would all be welcome to come out.
Personally, I'm more of an intermediate snowboarder and generally prefer hitting up terrain park and rail parks as well as doing some intermediate to hard runs. I also have fun on the noob runs looking for nice lips and kickers.

I'll most likely be going somewhere, even if it is alone. But it would be ace to have someone else to ride with and it would be a great chance for me to meet some new people in the country I want to live in.

Summarized:
Where: preferably West Coast, USA
When: Between February 19th - March 7th, 2010
Who: Anyone, but experienced people would be ace

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    since you'll be in sacramento, you DEFINITELY want to go to lake tahoe. I love it there. Many great slopes, so just look into the type of place you're interested in.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I still haven't been snowboarding this year, might go next week though.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Yes, Lake Tahoe is great in California. Some of their parks might be a bit expensive but they'd be worth it.

If you're able to get to Colorado and have the money then Vail is GREAT. Went there once a few years ago. It's one of the biggest and most impressive parks in the country. In fact anywhere around Vail is good; Breckenridge and Keystone are two others in Colorado I've been to that are great.

There's a fairly cheap place in California called Mt. Shasta that I'll be going to in a few weeks once I move out to California. It's nowhere near as great as anywhere in Colorado or Veil, but it gets the job done.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    Noooooooooosss, don't leave auz casey

meh why not canada?, hell even a trip to japan to ski is cheaper than thredbo in oz...
    good luck with job prospects in us.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Vail is awesome...Went up there with Empty..all I did was watch...I bet Empty would be down to hit some slopes he's a snowboarding foo...quite a few PCers here now too....I'd be down for a beer
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rad suggestions, guys and keep them coming!

Alex, yeah leaving the old Australia. Melbourne is in an epic game industry drought and since I left my studio, they've let a good portion of their staff go. Two other bigger studios closed down last year as well, so my only option is to try another country.

But back to snow talk.
    I've been recommended Tahoe from a few people, so that may be the go if I end up having to ride solo. But ultimately I'd go where there are actually people I can ride with.
    Colorado isn't a huge distance from where I'll be staying, so I would be willing to come out that way to go boarding, but it would have to be a solid few days to a week. Not sure if I'd travel that far for a day trip or something.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't been snowboarding or skiing, but I'm a central CA native. I'd say Lake Tahoe is the nicest place to go in the area. Next would be Bear Valley, Dodge Ridge, Badger Pass. Pretty much anything around Yosemite (which is a great trip by itself).
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Vail is awesome, I was there last week and we got 3 feet of fresh snow. Nothing like landing in 12 inches of powder on the downside of a big table. Unfortunately I strained a muscle in my back leg so I had to spend the last day in the bars, but the towns there are really cool too.
    If you can't make the trip to Colorado then tahoe is a great option, they are getting tons of snow right now too. Gotta love el ni
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Dude if you make it out to Colorado I'd definitely be up for a snow day. Imo Vail is the best skiing/snowboarding in the states, but Whistler B.C. is the best in North America hands down.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Got 20 years of riding under my belt and several of those years I rode over 80 days a season. I'd take you riding here in the PNW but I'm out due to a stress fracture in my left foot for at least a month.

Some decent suggestions here but PM me and I can give you a rundown of where to hit and what to hit based on your skill level and also the current el nino. Jet Stream hasn't been kind to us in the PNW but Tahoe has been getting killed. Tahoe was putting up 30 inches a day during the last storm cycle.

Mammoth and June are good bets as well for CA.

Oh and Vail is not the best in the US by any stretch. A good mountain and expansive for sure but everyone knows Utah gets the goods and Colorado gets the leftovers when it comes to pow.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Oh really want to try snowboarding sometime. Just moving up here to seattle seems perfect, just need to find some people to go with.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon quite a few people at Bungie ride. Where you sit btw?
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Bring someone else who's never gone, no fun sitting on your arse and having no one to talk to ;)
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty, I make take you up on that offer.

Jesse, balls to you and balls to your stress fracture! Remi suggested I hit you up for some boarding a few weeks ago, so that's sketchy that you're out for a month. It would have been sick to have a boarding partner that has some experience.

Get some of these Bungie jerks to come out and board with me or something. And get them to give me a job as well :D
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL!

yeah man fucking sucks! Ferg and I have had some sweet sessions though already this season. I'll be back at it in about 4 weeks.

Look at Tahoe right now man that's your best bet during an El Nino.

I've had a killer season but the storms have been mostly going south.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, let me know when you recover and head back out. If I'm still near your hood I'll fly up or whatever and smash it up. I can never get enough snowboarding. Maybe we could go for a skate some time as well.