Home Digital Sketchbooks

sketchbook: kylix3d

Hey-

I just got Zbrush like 48 hours ago. I've never used the program before so I've been learning a few things online and have started experimenting. Here's something:

skull2.jpg

My current focus right now is on hard surface modeling so I intend to use Zbrush for imported meshes from Maya. I'm really interested in organic subjects, but this is perhaps of a more "personal" nature since I'm not sure if I'm going to put it into my portfolio.

Comments? Thanks!

Replies

• Skurcey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like a skull but some parts are very wrong.
    Work with references :)
  • Razvan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like an alien head or something like that. Good luck with ZBrush though it is an AMAZING tool. Am sure you will love it once you learn your way around the interface and brushes. :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Wacom tablet for the win I suppose? I think you tried to draw on it with a mouse. (never worked out)
  • kylix3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi-

I've been kind of working on a simple corridor that's for a dungeon-maze type game.

Pretty simple, but getting used to going from Maya to Zbrush etc.

This was intended as a kind of "fake screen" for independent game development. I realized that'd probably be better to ask what smaller studios are looking for and their limitations etc. If anyone has insight into this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm going back to working on my mausoleum, which you may have seen...

dungeon.jpg
    wall.jpg

Thanks!
  • Lucid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is your wall made of? Brick, large pieces of stone? It is kind of hard to decern from the zbrush model. Check out the Projection Master in Zbrush!

If those are indeed bricks, try to imagine how they were made, and with what materials. The detail on the bricks now is too large. Bricks are normally more gritty than bumpy due to the air pockets in the material while it is setting, and the materials natural roughness.

as Skurcey mentioned earlier, use references. They are extremely helpful.

Here is a newer and older brick reference you may be able to use. (I'm not sure what time period your hallway is in.)

Newer Wall - Notice the uniformity. The changed in the brick are subtle, they maintain their basic shape, but are unique at the same time.
    pic-brick-wall.jpg

Here is an older brick example. This one is a bit more dilapidated. The hue variation in the bricks is probably due to the materials that the bricks were created with.
    texturez_brick_1212.preview.jpg

There are a lot of great Zbrush tutorials online if you didn't already know
    ZClassroom
    They "Surface Noise" tutorial may help you with your brick wall normal map.

If you don't have a Wacom Tablet, or a tablet in general, get your hands on one. There really is no other way to use Zbrush effectively. If you don't have one now, make some custom alphas in zbrush, use them as masks or something until you can get one.

I hope this helps! And good luck with your projects!