Home Technical Talk

hdd wreck

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
today i was reorganizing the innersides of my computer
unfortunately, when i reconected a hdd(the connector was broken, and so i must have connected it wrong) the board died in smoke
so heres my question, do you think i can recover the data by buying the same hdd and replacing the board?

since it was m most importand hdd with all my work saved on (the backup drive lol)

Replies

• Clockwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it was your backup drive, then you should have your stuff on a second drive as well, no?

That's the idea of backup. It's a duplicate of data stored elsewhere.

If it's a disk with data not stored elsewhere, it's just a storage disk.
  • airbrush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    airbrush polycounter lvl 13
    yes, i've done it by replacing the controller board...it must be exactly the same, the numbers on the HD.
    The firmware number was the most important from what i remember.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its a samsung Hd161HJ,
    i hope the shop where i bought it still has some of them lying around
    it used to be my backup drive, but earler computer crash made it the data drive instead of backup
  • Clockwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope you get it fixed, though. I feel your pain, hopefully you've learned now, just like me, the hard way. Now I keep 2x backups of everything.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i need an external hard drive
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Ouch, that sucks :(

Even more important is to an offsite backup, in case your home burns to the ground. At least then you have your data, since no insurance will cover that loss.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    There are external HDD's that are fireproof. There is free software that can perform backups.

When I back up things, I back up everything other than rendered stills/movies as I have the source. I keep the project file only and source art, I don't keep the iterations.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    i need an external hard drive

You definitely do. They're very cheap nowadays.

My life changed since I got one, eh eh. You feel a lot safer.

I still remember when my IDE HDD broke a few years ago, and it was my "work" disk. I learnt the lesson the hard way, it wasn't a good week for me I tell ya.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    was at the shop has no more of them, but there ise one for 10 bucks on ebay
    im going to try even tough i hate ebay
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i'd be kind of paranoid backing my work up to a 10 dollar hard drive.. is that going to be reliable?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have two hotswap drive bays on my computer. When I am working on a project, I usually get a 500GB HDD with content to work on, and I have a spare 1.5TB I use to make backups of project files as I work on it. When the project is over and the $$ is in the bank, I give it two weeks then I kill the backups for that project.

My personal stuff, I back up only key projects. Once I get to the point of having all the pictures and wires I need, I keep it for a year or so, after that it's gone. Email stays forever, bookmarks are overwriten. I think I am gonna take it one step further and make an image of a clean install of the OS all the way to the latest updates. I also have a spare HDD that's not in use for emergencies.

$30.00 for the drive bay
    $90.00 1.5TB HDD
    $0.00 for backup software
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Rooster, the 10 bucks hdd is just the same drive like the broken one, i want to replace the controller board and recover the data

@ Lamont, i think im save with an external Raid1 Harddrive combo
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only problem with raid1 is that it's not selective of what you want to back up, it's all or none, wasting space which is a premium with large files. But good if you screw something up. Just pull it and rebuild.