Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The First Assailment

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
this is an image i've been working on sporadically over the past year or so. I also will be posting a 3d print of the creature that I'm getting from Morpheus Prototypes sometime this coming week.

demon_render_med_10.jpg

a full res version can be found here...

http://zopfx.com/wips/demon_render_10.jpg

and a bit about the image. I modeled the base mesh in maya, sculpted with mudbox and did a good deal of the texturing with mudbox. I also used photoshop for texture work and finally rendered in mental ray.

thanks for looking!

Replies

• MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Looks sick man, great job!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work! I love the use of desaturation, feels very demonic!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    wow, that is SICK!!!
  • Razvan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work dude. Could you please post a wire of the creature and the texture? :)
    How long did it take to render by the way?:P am just curious because the scene looks damn heavy:P
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    thanks for the comments.

the render wasn't too long actually. It took about 12 minutes or so on my quad core. the creature and the rocks in the foreground were rendered by themselves. the background is a 2d matte painting and the flying creatures were all rendered individually and comped in. also, i render the high res mesh instead of displacing. I've got an image here to show the wire and the shaded viewport image along with the base mesh. i've also attached an early WIP image showing the basemesh in the default pose. this was also before i switched from the ears to the horns.

for the texture process i get a lot out of my bump map instead of the sculpt. its easier and faster to be able to paint the bump for me and it can yield some nice tight results.

demon_shade_wire.jpg

demon_03.jpg
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    wow, very cool
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Some really nice texturing and rendering work, well done.

The pose seems a little weird, though. Even with such a large tail as a counterweight, the creature would likely fall over because of uneven distribution of weight in its current pose. Even using a single arm to support itself would make this pose more believable.

Maybe position the left arm forward with the claws gripping the cliff edge so you don't detract from the chest detail? Also, the bulge directly beneath the knee in the foreground isn't immediately identifiable. Is it part of the tail, or the left leg? I'd guess the leg, but it's not obvious and looks a little awkward right now.

Other than that, I'd work on the lighting and contrast, maybe think about your sky - the desaturation definitely works for your skin texture but leaves the rest of the image looking a little flat because of the similarity of the hues in the scene.

Great job overall.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Great work man!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sooooooooooooooooooooooooo

when are you making the low poly?
  • NoChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the desaturated look but I think you could really benefit from some color to highlight certain things really make them pop it would add some focal points. Maybe add color to the eyes, tongue, or vein webbing in the wings, or some blood dripping from its claws or mouth, or one last flower being crushed under its claw. Not all of those maybe just one or two areas that get highlighted would really add something to the scene I think.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Very nice, this looks great!
    Though, I'd agree with what danshewan had to say about the balance.