Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Oldness!!!

Hey everyone, this is a project i finished a while back and would like a bit of feedback. I was going to super low polys and a few megs of texture space total. Let me know what you think and where i can improve! thanks a lot everyone!natevoss_Crumble_01.jpgnatevoss_Crumble_04.jpgnatevoss_Crumble_02wire.jpg

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the lighting in that first shot, great work! My only crit is the knob on the banister in the front looks a bit bump-mappy for the scene.
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, good work, the textures though, look very flat and dull, also you could save quite many polys on the floor.. there are no contact shadows or believable variation of any kind in the textures all throughout the scene, just a single pattern repeating wherever I see (tone/shade wise), would be nice to break the similarity by adding some variation respective of the position/placement of the attribute.

Explain the premises, whats the story behind it? Why are there lamps on the wall when the wall itself is under construction? or anything else for that matter.. is it a tunnel? or a ruined living place? I am confused on that :P

Cheers!
  • thevossman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the complements!

I think your right about the bumpmap on the banister, i was going for flaking lead paint but took it a bit to far.

As for the repeating patterns, i will admit that they are all tiled at least 10x10 throughout the scene and that takes away from the believable variations. I do feel, despite the emphasis on tiling, that I should have bumped up the contrast with some more vibrant colors and varying shades as you mentioned.

The premise for the scene was to make a utilitarian building from the early 1900's that has fallen in to extreme disrepair. For an architectural style I chose to loosely follow the art deco style. On a recent trip to New York I noticed that many of the subway stations empty out into the basements of buildings in the heart of the city. That is why there is a train access tunnel in the basement of the building...although there is little hint that the shot is from a basement...

And the light fixtures, they are hanging on by invisible threads!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looks great, your generic texture work is fine, but you need a few more unique textures to add more detail.

im talking about

-the balastrade posts
    -the hand rail
    -the skirting board

all the trimmings basically need to use textures that either do not tile (posts, light fittings) or tile one way (skirting, ceiling trims, door jamms etc etc)
  • thevossman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh, I do enjoy those ideas. I was thinking a rock skirts would make sense and could be tiled in both directions with no harm done. BUT a dirt build up at the bottom or crust at the top from the deteriorating walls would definitely reduse the overly tiled look that the scene takes on. The chandelier was my one off asset that I added for a little flair but im thinking i should have pushed the polys a bit further. Alnatevoss_Crumble_03.jpgnatevoss_Crumble_07.jpgso a added a scene view
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I pressed the "like" button
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Me likes too!

I like direction you took with textures and lighting. Contrasty green/yellow lighting, crushed blacks and spec blooms are pretty popular these days, so it's refreshing to see something different.
  • Mique
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mique polycounter lvl 11
    Nice, like it too!
    Like you said, the chandelier look a bit blocky right now and could look better

Keep it up!