Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first model PnP at Polycount :D [Water Tower]

shot3g.th.png
shot2l.th.png
shot1b.th.png
watertowerport.th.png

I model im my laptop so no GFX :´( (no normal map)
Apart from that what u guys think? this is actualy my "first post".
So all CnC are welcome :D

Replies

• PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    It looks like you need to take some more care in picking the photos you use for textures. The ones you have chosen don't seem to fit very well.

Check out CGTextures.com for some good textures. Try to combine several textures together and tweak them until you get something you like instead of just using the textures directly from the photos.
  • serialkiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what texture you talking all of them or just some in particularly?
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Predator is on the right track with the textures. You have the main support pieces made of wood, I don't think wood would be strong enough to hold up a metal water tower. lol.

The tread plate looks ok to me. The other pieces need a bit of work. I would assume that a water tower would probably be made of the same material all around. There is also a lack of some fundamental details - metal structures usually aren't just one piece, there are multiple pieces with bolts and seems to attach them.

Are you using any reference pictures? Heres one I found quickly on google.

f%5EWater_tower_now_from_Shelby_History_Website.jpg
  • serialkiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wt_preview_01.jpg

Thats my ref picture.
    i see your point ganna change wood to metal. tanks
  • serialkiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update1y.png

here is a small update.. now ill try to add some screw´s to give a better metal look. CnC welcome
  • serialkiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what will be the best way to add screws texture or geometry ??
    im trying texture but whit no luck any advice how to make it ??
  • serialkiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How this looks like ??

update2f.png
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture was the right choice for the bolts. The bolts look alright, you may want to find an image of a bolt and photoshop it so it fits your texture accordingly.

Another area you may want to address is the scale of the ladder. If each one of those steps on the ladder is say a foot apart from each other, then that only makes the tower ~27 feet tall. Look at the ladder on your reference image.
  • serialkiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update3g.pngBetter now ?
    realy loving the feedback :D tanks once again
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better, yes and no. One thing you will have to learn to do when making props such as this, is think in terms of human scale. How big should things be when compared to an average human. Heres a quick little image i made to show you what I mean.

towerscale.jpg

If that little white guy is 6 foot, than the scale of the ladder steps is fine, however the width is not. And the white guy up top shows that maybe the cat walk is too wide and railing is too high - I know this from looking at reference and comparing different parts of the picture.. ie, the ladder steps to the high of the railing for example.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    serial, google up an image of a water tower that looks like what you want, and recreate that reference as opposed to pulling all these concepts out of your ass. Then you won't have to be second guessing all these wacky proportions, colors and texturing.
  • serialkiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pimp1.pngHere it is my sense of scale any tip ?
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If that's the scale you want to go by, then i apologize for telling you to edit the ladder.

However, if your trying to recreate the reference image you posted, you need to edit your scale.