Home General Discussion

Augmented Reality based Portfolio?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
Maybe a handful more iterations of the tech plus cheap AR-reading eyewear will make this a standard practice someday. Recruiters in GDCs and similar events could just handpick people from the crowd based off their AR content floating virtually over their heads (assuming they have their personal gps enabled tracking apps on in their mobile devices) or bodies (AR cosplay!).

How about video conference interviews with AR: Natal tech + HD webcam behind OLED tv screen + AR content that can also be interacted on by the interviewers?

3 vids to ponder upon:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JWk_JIE3Ow[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYrKPDyl26E[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMAaOxjTKMI[/ame]

Replies

• Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    I was excited thinking this was like all new holographic shiz from the future! But its just Eye of Judgement, avatar styles. Its cool, dont get me wrong! I just thought it was more improved tech xD

Second vid is cool. But oh my, your Zfighting is showing :X
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    so you have to walk around with a tv on your head for folks to see it.. or they'd have to look at a monitor to see the portfolio over your head. It's like the invisibility cloak tech, it's nice but there's the whole thirdwall thing you have to overcome. It's all in video, it's not actually 'there' in front of you it's on a monitor 3 feet above you.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    you're not thinking far enough.

imagine glasses, I'm pretty sure many of us here use them on a daily basis, now imagine they can project an image on your retina, like a floating hologram above a guys head, now imagine since its glasses, it does a stereoscopic image, different perspectives on each eye, so you'll get depth perception.

you'd see the 3d object as if it was actually in the room, and the guy whouldn't have to wield a tv infront of his head.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    example:

the glasses one of the characters in heavy rain wears.

11-620x.jpg
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gotcha.. nix on the glasses.. still not fond of the whole '3d tv' or 3d movies yet. Sure they are kinda cool at the movie theater but I doubt I'd wear them outside or at home.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    so you have to walk around with a tv on your head for folks to see it..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mediaite/3881515360/
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I think the idea is that eventually augmented reality will just be a standard 'feature' of corrective glasses or contacts. Imagine augmented reality built into your windshield of your car that points out and highlights pedestrians, and the path on the road in front of you you'll need to take to reach your destination. Hollywood has already shown us a number of possibilities for this sort of tech, and its not so immature atp to think it could actually become a part of everyday living within the next few decades.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Another tech to consider is the upcoming ID tech, where many artists can collaborate over one piece simultaneously.

Imagine a game seminar held entirely in engine. Game artists bringing their peices into the game world in real time to show it off in a virtual presentation room. The after party would suck though.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I saw on Sci-Fi Science the other night that they are in the process of creating contact lenses that do something similar. They currently have a contact lens with 1 pixel on it.... Now that's progress! But seriously, I'm sure it was hard to just get that 1 pixel on that lens...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    give it a few years, its crazy how fast stuff can progress sometimes :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar wrote: »

Yeah, I understand the tech. I just don't see it catching on it's like the fad of 3d glasses from the 50's. We still have them today, they are much better and finally we don't have to use the blue/red ones but I think it sounds good in theory just don't see it catching on until it can become ingrained in our lives instead of an addition, until then it will continue to be a fad tech.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    you don't see the point of 3d glasses either?, when basicly every major cinema has installed really expensive 3d projectors and the biggest selling movie of all time is a 3d movie?

I mean, look at how everyone is walking around with mobilephones that would've been seen as the most powerful supercomputers 20 years ago.

augmented reality is only now being hindered by the cost of the display and computing power required to having it be really usable, both are getting cheaper and smaller by time.

and besides, before we reach really cheap and usable augmented reality, we'll have reached affordable VR already, which is also win!