Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Interstellar Marines assault rifle

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
danshewan polycounter lvl 8
Decided to start really practicing my hard surface modeling, and thought this concept from Interstellar Marines might be fun.

ss00571280x720zpsinters.jpg

riflerender.jpg

riflerender2.jpg

There's some other stuff I want to get modeled right now, so will probably come back to this later and texture it. Leaving as a high-poly exercise for the time being.

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    That's some nice work already! Some bigger renders (with a better material/ light settings) would be appreciated.
    The only thing I'd remark, is for the sake of normalmaps, you might wanna soften some edges a bit so they translate better when you bake.
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    If you're going for accuracy on the other model then there's a few things that you've missed.

The part that rests on your shoulder seems a bit wider in yours than in the concept, and the barrel in yours is almost an entirely different shape. I noticed the barrel on the concept gets smaller twards the end where yours doesn't, and then noticed the part of the barrel that actually "connects" to the gun and how it differs between yours and the concept. I dunno if you made that change on purpose or not, but I think the concept version looks better.

Other than that it's lookin pretty good, nice work sir! :D
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Made some adjustments:

riflerender.jpg
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Looks awesome!

Not sure how you're supposed to look through that scope though, with that thing behind it. :)
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you look closely there is a square opening in the rear sight. But would agree it seems pretty big regardless. It looks like an awkward gun to use but it's a great work from the concept art. I think the overall gun looks a bit too thin though.
  • Turbosmooth Operator
    I think it looks great.

Here's some crits if you're trying to stay 100% true to the concept:

1. The gun overall is slightly too tall and also too thin (it looks to be about 75% as thick as it should be). Look at the front of the gun where the barrel protrudes, it should be just about square whereas your's is very elongated.
    2. You have what looks like twice as many rails.
    3. Most of your edges seem too harsh compared to what looks like smoother ones. The flashlight for instance is much more rounded in the concept.
    4. The suppressor is tapered, your's is not.
    5. The grenade launcher attachment doesn't taper in the concept and is smaller than the object that holds it in place. Also the attachments aren't accurate to the concept -- same with the flashlight (?) on the side. Proportions are off. Also missing an inner bevel on the flashlight bracket.
    6. The flashlight seems to sit too far away from the bulk of the gun.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    your rails look wrong to the point of nonfunctional. It looks like the side rails where the flashlight/marker attaches are literally boxes? It looks like the rail on the top doesn't have anything for the scope to grip onto, either.

A real rail has a sort of stretched hexagonal cross section: http://www.airsoftpost.com/images/large/RIS_UTG_HG416S_B_lg.jpg

You could change it up some but you will want to keep that lip on both sides that the hex shape provides.