Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

simple scene

took a refreshment break today and made this scene with very base models so i could do a bit of texturing, hoping to use a few of these in my portfolio, if this one makes the cut. be good to hear some crits on it

previewcopyt.jpg

Replies

• ander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ander polycounter lvl 17
    That little light seems a bit powerful, too powerful. I think dim the light down, make everything a bit darker, and the walls - texture wise it seem kind of repeating for such a small space. I mean the greys coming from the ceiling and crust that is going from behind the gauges, on the wall.

Aeh, but its 5:19 here and I haven't slept. So what the heck. :D

But otherwise I like it, numbers in the basement - insta-coolness and mystery!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work soo far, shouldnt the light and light frame have dust on it? I mean this is the dirty scene you were trying to make. =\

Over all, very nice work.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Can you provide texture sheets and sizes for us to crit on? From my standpoint I can provide the following crits.

1) Light cast from Bulb - the lighting that is cast from the bulb is not present enough. Currently you have a very subtle shadow that has no strong direction so introduces a more global ambient feel to the piece. I think you can allow for a much more interesting lighting if you allow it to cast a shadow down to the pipes below, and the adjacent ones.

2) Break up of tiles - I like the fact that you removed some tiles on the floor, however they simply do not make sense in terms of design. They would be a lot more noticeable and interesting if you presented larger chunks missing, and densed together in certain locations. Perhaps near pipe valves where maintenance crews have worked on them and keep busting the floor with their tools, etc?

3) Specularity - you need to pop out your specularity, right now all your textures feel flat. The floor should provide for much more specularity or even perhaps gloss. Your pipes seem to have a lot of rust and grime on them as well, which indicates water or some form of liquid. You can definitely invest some specularity into the pipes as well.

4) Blurry Diffuse - I feel you can gain a lot more by focusing on a strong tileable piece for the walls and allowing decal placements or vertex blend for grunge transition, or even uniquely mapped and textured just for this small scene here. Either way, the stains and textures don't appear to have enough characteristics and can be pushed a lot more. Try sharpening you base texture and tightening up your transitions of grunge and dirt.

5) Pipe placement - I think the left set of pipes are a bit too close to the wall.

Overall not bad, just keep pushing!
  • Daniel Doerksen
    thanks for the crits! im gonna get some more done on it

with the light, in order to get the shadow for it would create a point light in its place make it ignore the mesh and set it for a dynamic shadow?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    You don't need dynamics, you can use baked lighting and get very fine results.
  • Daniel Doerksen
    havent had alot of time past couple days heres a update.
    i kinda dont think the fact that tiles are missing pop out enough they kinda blend in
    i tweaked normals on floor, and walls. and sharpened them up altered the lighing setup. id also really like to have the main pipe leaking and have the material on the pipe and floor have a puddle, but im not sure how to approach that so i posted on masterthread

previewix.jpg
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    That light looks like it's about to burst into flames haha.

Tone it down overall, why is this corner lit so well? Why is there a 400W lightbulb in a corner that generally doesn't never have to be in?

Other than that it's looking fairly good. For the leaky pipe and puddle stuff I'd make it be leaking just before the elbow so that you could just have a dripping particle there. Then on the ground you could either toss a decal with a high specular, or just modify your texture there to up the spec in that area.

I'd also either make your drainage grate on the floor slightly bigger, or break some of the tiles up around it to push it down into the ground more. Right now it looks like a decal because it doesn't really "interact" with it's surroundings.

Also, if you're playing with dripping water that close to the drain I'd consider trying to make it look like the water is going to the drain.

I'd consider changing how you're holding the pipes to the walls along the top there. I dunno if this would work right or not, but I'd consider having them hang off the walls, rather the ceiling. I think it'd help break up the wall a little bit more, and be more noticeable. That's just me though :P
    sw_fuel_bunker_adit.jpg

One last thing... I don't like how the pipe is just shoved into the floor, I'd try to ground it with some sort of fitting or sealant before it penetrates the floor.