Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Basement environment

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Mique polycounter lvl 11
Hi everyone,

Been trying out the unreal engine, and thought I've learned it best by putting together a simple scene.
It's pretty basic, all the props are done quite fast, 1-2 props a day.

Basement01.jpg

and here's all the textures,

Texturesheet.jpg

thanks for reading

Micke

Replies

• PhilipK
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    The props look nice and it's a well put together scene. But it feels very generic (I know it's a theme that is very common). I think you could gain a LOT by changing the lighting to be more contrasted, and to get some gradients in there. Also it'd be nice to see something more saturated. At least it'd be nice to see some props pop out more in colour.
    Personally I'd probably go with some nice bright color on the walls as well.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Great scene, makes me remember one of the first levels of max payne 1.
    you nailed the mood! :)
  • Soft_Hands
    [HP] wrote: »
    Great scene, makes me remember one of the first levels of max payne 1.
    Really? Feels like Max Payne 2 for me lol.

Great work man.
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Good job!

Love the sharpness of the textures reminds me a lot of some of the work done on ETQW :)
  • Matroskin
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    looks cool.

Feels a lack of cast shadows (props r floating) - after all its UE3 I assume :P
    The floor looks a bit too simple - again, cauz of lack of shadows and also maybe some more decals with papers etc.

Also those rivets on metal beams look off to me. They kinda would not appear there - rivets r used to fix joits between bams. And also they r not square shaped - those kind of beams r usually T or double T chape ;)

http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/UNW/UNW252/metal-beam-ceiling_~u25067801.jpg
  • Mique
    Offline / Send Message
    Mique polycounter lvl 11
    thanks for all the comments :D
    glad you like it

@PhilipK: You'r right, I really need some more colors, it's too grey right now

@Matroskin: yup it's UE3. the beams are actually double t-shaped, but maybe a tad to little.

Need to work a bit more on the beams, and add some more litter like papers laying on the floor, and add some more color to it all and add some more props. Perhaps I'll check some old screens from max payne =)

And the lightning needs some more work, more contrast, shadows and colors I guess

I'll keep you updated
  • AshleyTayles
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    I really like it, I love this kind of scene. Nice work on the textures!
  • vj_box
    Soft_Hands wrote: »
    Really? Feels like Max Payne 2 for me lol.

Great work man.

Second that!
  • gamedev
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Its a great start. I agree w/ what others are saying -

- It's lacking some nice color focal points
    - Lighting is very flat and washed out. Less ambient light, more direct.
    - Wall and floor texture are fighting for attention - walls have too much contrast / detail IMO.
    - Materials feel flat / don't pop because there is very little surface change / specular on objects.

-Tyler
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    ^ agreed.

Also, try breaking up the lockers with some decals perhaps? The dirt pattern is exactly the same across all three of them and it's particularly noticeable on the top slits.
  • Mique
    Offline / Send Message
    Mique polycounter lvl 11
    been working with the lightning in udk , but I keep getting these lightmap erros in my bsp walls.

here's how it looks like:

lightmaperrors.jpg

I get very sharp edges where my polygons are. They are just simple bsp brushes with a planar mapping on them. And it doesn't help to render the lightning in production either...

I have remade the walls several times now but keep getting the same errors, what am I missing?
  • DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I would make those walls static meshes. They tend to take lighting a little better. Don't bake in production either until you are sure you have it final. I remember reading somewhere (I think JordanW posted it in the UDK Thread) that each quality jump in lightmass add 3x more render time than the previous. With this small scene that shouldn't be an issue, but why waste the extra time :P
  • nick2730
    I have a question, how did you get the texture under the vents to the upper right of the door? You ahve the simple vents then the base texture behind, but then you have a rusty dripping texture under it, how did you apply it?
  • jmiles
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    @ nick 2730.. you can do that by just creating a decal.. a flat plane of geometry w/ a set opacity mask..in his case, rust.. so you can place it and blend it pretty much anywhere..
  • jmiles
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    environment looks pretty good dude.. one thing ya might wanna add besides the fog might be some dusty particle effects.. might add a little more character to your scene.. up to you
  • gamedev
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    For the brush above the door that has the issues, try just making a rectangle w/ 4 verts and extend it above the ceiling. Yes, you'll have some wasted BSP outside the room, but it should light better.
  • Matroskin
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    u can try to make a simpler brush for the wall with doorway.

I would just make additive cube and then substract smaller cube for the door. No need to make a complex additive brush with the door modelled by hand. Also it does not need to follow same shape on top as the ceiling - u can literally keep it as a box.

I case of 2 brushes touching you need to have one's surface follow another. In your case u made the walls' top follow the shape of the celling. That is technically correct but generates more complex geometry. Swich "roles" - make wall higher than the ceiling and snap ceiling's side to the wall :

sdfsfsf.jpg
  • Snight
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    Fluorescent lighting usually has a tint of blue to it. This will eliminate the flat white/gray/boring feel that your lighting has atm. Adding some contrast to your scene with darker shadows will help your scene pop more as well.
  • Mique
    Offline / Send Message
    Mique polycounter lvl 11
    @Matroskin, gamedev: Been trying out some different approaches on the wall and solved the problem now.
    Easiest way to solve it, was to simplify the brushes and it all works now, thanks for the tips =)

@nick2730: just like jmiles said, it's just decals. That decal is used a lot and it doesn't even has an opacity mask, it just rust on a white background that is set to blendingmode -> modulate.

@jmiles: i'll look in to the dusty particles asap, good idea :) started to work on a smoke particle from on of the pipes, but haven't figured out how everything works yet

@Snight: good idea, looks much better with a little blue tint

here's some progress screens:

Basement02.jpg
    Details02.jpg