Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop #4 - R-drake

Hi guys, I've been lurking the forums for a bit now, ever since I started messing around with 3d modeling as of late, and I can't help but be inspired by all the amazing work that gets thrown around. I just decided recently that 3d art is something I want to get much more into, and these workshops seem like a great opportunity to practice. This is probably one of my first real projects ever, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

awpwip.jpg

Also, I remember seeing a tutorial on getting better looking renders a while back, and it would be greatly appreciated if anyone could link me that.

Replies

• SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi and welcome, you work looks good, just keep in mind a couple of things while going on: pay attention to the details, in example the handle isn't that hard edged inside the oval hole, nor the upper part is that hard edged, but the transition is quite smooth. Make hard edged what should be, like the cut where the ammo box fits. Remember the body isn't symmetrical on top, so use symmetry until a certain point, then make two unique parts. You can download my model for reference if you like to.

I think the tutorial you're referring to is this one: http://www.artemstudios.com/08Portfolio/Tutorial/MaterialRenderingTut.htm found in this Polycount thread: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=60887

You may want to take a look at this other one to make some renders of the wires. Remember to turn on Isoline Display in TurboSmooth Modifier: http://www.secondpicture.com/tutorials/3d/wire_and_isoline_clay_render_in_3ds_max.html
  • R-drake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've actually been using your renders as references Sync! They're just too pretty. You are completely right about the hard edges on the thumb hole, I'll get on that next. Even though I'm just beginning to try my hand at this stuff, I'm really interested in getting more into the field, and all the practice I can get is great. I really appreciate all the help!
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    If these are your first attempts, your going well, as getting accurate and fast is only a matter of practice, until a point where you simply "feel" how to do things. So take your time. As a general advice you should start reinforcing edges only at an advanced stage of the whole modeling. It will let you adjust the model easily, and fewer points means less hassle to make them right. In example you made the lower left part in your render really hard edges, while it should be very smooth, then the simpler way to adjust it, is to delete reinforcing edges and get the general shape right.

You can get my model too in obj format. Renders can be misleading as they're in perspective and can give a bad sense of proportions. Don't think having the geometry is something like "cheating". You said you're learning and these workshops are meant to let people share their knowledge. Keep in mind I'm not a master either and don't pretend to teach anything. Keep it up.

Just a note, I think you can read the image reference better in your scene by setting the material Self-Illumination to 100.