Demo reel

downarmy
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
downarmy polycounter lvl 7
I Graduated form school in December 1 year course here is my demo reel

i am looking forward to ur crits and i am seeking a junior position now

am i good enough?

also, does anyone know how to upload video on internet and not loose framerate and colors my upload sufer from framerate issue and the color got darker.

http://www.vimeo.com/8283047

Replies

• whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    You should have gone for 3 years, cause you need WAYYYYYYYYYYYy more work. A scene with a tank and annoying music will not land you a good spot anytime soon. I have no idea what you want to be, even when you described it. You showed a tank, and then a tank moveing through the scene? Ok, sooo, what do you want to be? A 3D artist, ok. Show me more 3d props and stuff. A environment artist, show me more environments. A animator? Show me more animations.

All I have is a tank moving through a scene with a turn around of the tank in question, then it cuts to credits. What about the scene you just did? I want to see that more. Why am I denied that? Whats with the blury, fuzzy stuff? Can hardly see anything. You made a tank. Awesome, but why is it so dark? Why does it take 20 second just for me to finally see it?

Anywho, just some thoughts for you. You just need a lot more mate to make that 'wow'.
  • Porkpie Samurai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Porkpie Samurai polycounter lvl 15
    hey dude. Nice models and textures, its a shame the lighting wasnt better for the tank. Too much much direct light and not enough ambient and the shadows were almost black. Besides that the models themselves are good. Good luck getting work.
  • KateC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KateC polycounter lvl 7
    The tank model is nice, and the cloth on the flag looks great, but it feels a little like the timing could be a bit snappier. Maybe cut in to the tank once the scene's been established, or experiment with a few different camera angles.

Good luck!
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say make at least 1 other hardcore asset to shove onto the reel. The tank is nice but it's still only 1 major asset. I also agree with KateC regarding with snappier timing.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It really catches my interest I kinda like how you filmed it old style.
    I think you should show more of the environment in seperate peices.
    with their wires and textures. like how you did the tank.

just add those after the 360 of the tank or whatever.

if you built the environment that is :)
  • Vonklaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would recommend showing the tank for a much shorter amount of time. The text should show up quicker, don't make the viewer wait to see what your saying.

Also, when the tank is rolling towards the camera, I would try to find a way to make that part a lot quicker. Something looked a little off with the amount of engine jitter and letting the viewer dissect that tank for that amount of time isn't helping.

Good point makecg, lol, is the environment shown made by you? If so, definitely show some of those pieces.

I like how your intro transitions into the old footage film look of the tank scene. However, I think it would help the models presentation if you faded away that old film look early in the scene. I felt like that style detracted from the scene, especially for how long it was shown.

Just my 2 cents!
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no! i mean if he (downarmy) made the environment peices he should show them as seperate objects like he did the tank lol
  • Vonklaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    makecg wrote: »
    no! i mean if he (downarmy) made the environment peices he should show them as seperate objects like he did the tank lol

I agree. That is what I was trying to say. I guess I didn't make it very clear, my bad.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the scene and the tank, but the miss-spelling of "reel" at the top of the video (as "real") really bugged me, heh.
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you for the replys

First yest i did the environment, the reason that there is no turntable of it its because there is no backside to the houses everything has been modeled and textured to fit that camera angle to save time i had only 5 weeks so i dunno how i could do turntable of it...

maybe a wireframe pass to show that i done it?

the film effect was done to show my affter effect skills maybe i should turn it down a little.

i agree the part where the tank comes toward the camera is boring as shit i dont know how to fix this, the tank has to go at a normal tank speed and i cant change the dimension of the street...

also anyone knows why vimeo makes my colour look darker?

i agree i need new content i am working on a ak-47 and will show it after the tank.

sorry for my English i am French

tank for the reply looking forward to suggestion on how to make it not to suck so bad