Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop #4 - KWolmarans

KWolmarans
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
KWolmarans polycounter lvl 13
Ok I started with block modeling to get the basic shape, then chamfer'ed the outer edge so that it would bevel nicely when smoothed. I then added 2 iterations of mesh smooth to the hard base to give it enough polys so that i could Boolean out the recesses without getting horrible smoothing results. Symmetry will be applied after all is modeled.

I then drew some splines around the trigger and thumb holes to get their shape. then lofted the splines to create a positive that i could use for the Boolean operation. Whether this works im about to find out.

Organic_Curve_Splining.jpg

I used the capsule and oil tank shapes to create further positive molds for other recesses using a high side count to give a nice smooth transition.

Boolian-Positives-Top.jpg
Boolian-Positives.jpg

Well here's the high poly base it still has a few sharp edges to it but i have a plan to solving those.

Hipoly_Base.jpg

Replies

• j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin' good so far dude! I've always had a hard time with boolean-ed objects, as it always seems to cause lots of weird issues with my meshes. Looks like you definitely know what you're doing though! Can't wait to see more!
  • KWolmarans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KWolmarans polycounter lvl 13
    j4polaris wrote: »
    Lookin' good so far dude! I've always had a hard time with boolean-ed objects, as it always seems to cause lots of weird issues with my meshes. Looks like you definitely know what you're doing though! Can't wait to see more!

Thanks. THis is my first mesh that didnt go all weird after using booleans. I think it was coz its a high poly mesh and before i removed the bool's i added the smooth modifier and upped the poly count using tesselate so that there were many verticies for edges to link to.

I will post more wips eventually as im currently doing some freelance graphic design and the splash damage art test.