Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Girabbit (Giraffe-Rabbit) WIP

Hi All,
Since my crazy last month in school and vacation is over, I'm back in the forum!
I started my internship in school to test out a new curriculum for a teacher. Big part of the new curriculum consist of mashing 2 animals into 1 (idea inspired by gameartisan challenge). Diffuse, spec, and normal required.
I came up with 3 concepts and most people, including the teacher, voted on the girabbit because they have seen enough mean animals and want to see something cute.
So here it is... with bit of normal, semi-finished diffuse, no spec yet. One of the teachers suggest that I show the fur through the spec and not put it on diffuse. I think i might z brush the fur and export the normal or displacement out as spec.
I will be posting more images as my work progress. Critiques will be greatly appreciated.
Girabbit_nospec.jpg

Replies

• makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cute good job :P
  • tbaugher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice this is looking pretty good. you might wanna break up the edges of those brown patches a bit make them less straight and perfect. its eyes kinda look demonic right now lol
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aww, I want one! More foot fluffs, or definition for the little toesies.
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone!
    Yes I agree with the eyes looking too demonic... I can round it up and change it to black... add eye lashes while i'm at it. I can also paint in the toes and nails for more definition. Will work on it more this afternoon.
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Girabbit_nodetail.jpg
    Girabbit with spec and normal. I defined the toes a bit more and adjusted the eyes.
    Next will be details on the rope, bow, fix the seams, refine the normals, probably eye lashes too.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    that is hella creepy :x
    I think you need to bring out the giraffe pattern again.. its getting a bit lost under everything else. maybe some more contrast overall.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    was cute now demonic
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Girabbit2.jpg
    Hmm, like this Shiv?
    Does creepy apply just to the 2nd picture (the one with normals) or both?
    Thanks for critique.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Compared to the first picture, the overall feel got a lot darker, tone-wise, and around the eyes.
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    I wouldn't make the eyes red, I'd aim for something a bit more happy than what most demon eyes are :P

Also, I'd look into hiding the seams better along the legs, I'd honestly just attempt to not have any of the brown spots go over the seams and see how that looks :P

Also, if you wanna make him more cute, I'd look into exaggerating certain features. Look at stuffed animals and why they're so much cuter than the real animals haha.

I'd also thin out the ears a bit, right now they kinda look like big sacks of sand hanging off the head because they're too thick, bunny ears are big and floppy :P

Bunny.jpg
    Look at the size of it's head compared to it's body! And look at the big floppy ears!

To make him even more cute, try taking the picture from a higher angle, when you look up at something it's usually more dangerous looking, whereas looking down on stuff usually makes em cuter.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it may look better without normal maps and just flat shaded with the textures.
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice stuff, render it with a really nice sub surface and it will look great!
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for crits everyone.
    I too, also agree that it looks better with the original lamber shading. Due to the fact that i am required to make spec for it, I had to change it to a blinn. And once I switched from lamber to blinn, the bunny just went from Disney to Tim Burton. I'll try and change the lightings on it. maybe when I do make a scene for it after this internship project i'll take out the spec and switch back to lamber. Oh and yes the seams will be fixed with maya paint effect when the texture's finalized :)
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you guys, i think lighting was the issue of the creepyness!
    the below image was done with a directional light and global illumination:
    Girabbit_GI.jpg
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Render it on a blue background or something brighter I don't like black on this one.
    makes it look more dark.

I dont see why you need a spec map on this I can't even see it.

I still think this would look best flat shaded with alpha turned up like cartoon art for this peice! cause that will make it look brighter and cuter.

the shading gives it more detail than it needs cause of how simple it is.

if you wanted to do a spec normal map it would probably work better on a monster or something that needs to retain alot of detail.

but for this I say get rid of it and flat shade it and it will look very cool.

:)
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it would look cuter with a blue background or brighter.

maybe a little more defined looks a bit soft

heres a small paintover hope you don't mind it

paintover_girabbit.jpg
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks makecg.
    Question: what do you mean have the "alpha turned up"?
  • Ultraperson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ultraperson polycounter lvl 11
    Ah, this would have been a great entry for that contest.
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aww thanks.
    Right now I'm making an environment for it with carrot trees and lollipop bushes... can't wait till it's done then i'll update pictures
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GirabbitGI6.jpg

So this is what I got for the environment so far. Needs spec maps on all them. Decided to not make any normals since i'm light linking the girabbit to .8 of ambient light to pop out anyway.
    So after spec maps are done I will be re-arranging the environment, posing the girabbit (would love to animate it but probably take too long and too much time off of other projects), then paint trees and candies in the background accordingly. I've been thinking... how should I pose it? bouncing? shrink it down and have it stand up to eat carrot? walking? And should the environment have trees and candies distributed evenly all over and just use the camera to make the girabbit a focus? Suggestions would be welcome :)
  • Soft_Hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol! Was wondering what it ate.

As for posing the rabbit I'd suggest to have it nearly sitting down as it reaches for a carrot. Having it stand upright is making it behave too much like a giraffe rather than both.

For the environment find some pictures of open land in Africa and see how distributed the plants are.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa this is trippy!

Looking at this, I get this strange desire to see this concept made as an Unreal monster, like a Mr. Hyde version of this :D