Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Building an environment - Evil Genius hidden forest base

Replies

• Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    That's the beauty of side projects. Work when you want! Great progress btw... very inspirational and helped me break out of brain farts.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Woo!

Ok, so! Lately work has picked up and I've been burned out when I get home so I've been slowly (like.. 15 or 20 minutes here and there) working on the fence. It's nearly done, I just need to finish the chainlink texture and get the razorwire done then she's finished!

Other than that, I doubled the tessellations on my terrain. It's nothing big, not even note worthy, but at least its something!

I'll post updates soon.

Thanks everyone!
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    adam wrote: »
    Woo!

Ok, so! Lately work has picked up and I've been burned out when I get home so I've been slowly (like.. 15 or 20 minutes here and there) working on the fence. It's nearly done, I just need to finish the chainlink texture and get the razorwire done then she's finished!

Other than that, I doubled the tessellations on my terrain. It's nothing big, not even note worthy, but at least its something!

I'll post updates soon.

Thanks everyone!

Any work is better than none. Atleast it keeps you motivated.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Your replies today inspired me to come home and knock the fences out...

...so I did! I've added them to my style & technique layout (what I've been showing in the pictures so far) and will update this thread tomorrow some time with breakdown shots of the fence asset itself.

Adam, what the F are these? If you remember from my comp page (in my original post) I have fences that Dr. Q has setup as a perimeter around his not-so-super-secret forest base. This is my first go at those fences :D

Until then!
    forestbase_styletests_fences01.png
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    interesting mixture of nature and metal! go on!
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13
    Grats on getting the fences out, I can sorta see the barb right until the far right, then they sorta just dissapear. Are they paper thin? And the current positioning of the fencing is for previewing yea? Cuz I'm not sure what purpose they serve where they are right now.

All in all it's excellent seeing how much progress you've made :) it's downright inspiring.

And that log looks like people can use it to jump over the fence xD
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    crasong wrote: »
    I can sorta see the barb right until the far right, then they sorta just dissapear.
    And that log looks like people can use it to jump over the fence xD

I like the log jump, personally, if you can sneak through the gaps, why not be able to jump over it as well?

Can we get a close up of the fence in engine?

I gotta agree you kinda loose detail on the fence on the right, and the links seem a little dark.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This is my technique & setup scene. It's something I'll do to nail the methods i'll use to build the scene in its entirety.

I'll get some fence shots in a bit!

The lighting is doing something odd with the chainlink, making it dark. And the logo is totally setup to jump over top ;)
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Must update faster! need to see robot owl with turret mounted head :(

GE7973lg-783179.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    WHAT! That owl is badass! Hmm..
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    WHAT! That owl is badass! Hmm..

I know, right?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I think I may go that direction with its eyes (compared to what I have). They're very lens'y.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    I think there's a big problem with the trees, rocks and other objects cutting the terrain very sharp.

Also the lighting is a bit flat yet, maybe because of the fog, too.

The assets are very good.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I should just copy and paste this with each new post, since most people just like pretty pictures and walls of text are scary.
    adam wrote this 100 times now: The lighting is temporary and just in there for me to light what I have. It's 1 directional and 1 height fog. I play with the colours here and there for shits & giggles.

As for the tree's - good find! The tree's cut the terrain sharply because I haven't gone through and grounded them all with shrubbery, to hide the intersections. Glad someone noticed that. It's not a huge deal breaker at this point but it is one of those things you do in the "finishing touches" stage.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    And, because I'm the administrator I should bring this up: Critique is not, "This looks bad." Critique is, "This looks bad and I suggest you try this, this or this to fix it. Also here's a link on other ideas."

I'm glad you pointed out the sharp tree intersections, but it'd be best for others to learn from you if you gave your 2 cents on how to fix the problem. You don't need to now for this particular problem since I've addressed it, but it'd be nice to see that in the future (from everyone).

/end bossman.exe
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    The lighting in this scene is really flat... seems like it was lit with only 1 directional light.... :D

In all seriousness though... doesn't the fence seem a bit too close to the cliff wall for all practical purposes. I mean... why build the fence if the cliff is there to block someone. I understand the principle behind it ... and the need to break up the earthy organic elements...

Maybe closer to the river? Although there isn't much room.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Progg wrote: »
    In all seriousness though... doesn't the fence seem a bit too close to the cliff wall for all practical purposes. I mean... why build the fence if the cliff is there to block someone. I understand the principle behind it ... and the need to break up the earthy organic elements...

Maybe closer to the river? Although there isn't much room.

It's just a scene he's using to test out the assets in engine and such. I'm sure when he starts laying everything out to fit his initial layout the assets won't be placed in awkward positions like that.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    haha! It's totally in an akward position but its not something I mind! I think it fits this bumbling idiot of a character (Dr. Q) I'm envisioning in my head. Also, I'm playing this off of my camera bookmarks and that was the best spot for them. I originally had them on the other side of the river (see this image here that I posted a while ago) but that was too close to the camera so I crossed the river and dressed them there.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    As well, a good test for checking the intensity of your lighting is using Unreal's squint mode. Since I don't have Unreal opened, I just did a guassian blur on this sumbitch.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17188/forestbase_forum_flatterthanyourmom.jpg

forestbase_forum_flatterthanyourmom.jpg
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    You know I was kidding about the lighting right?... hehe. I understand moving the fence to the cliff.. I just personally liked them better on the other side of the river. But it will all look different as you add more stuff anyways.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Man... Just finish this already.
    The white (birch?) trees are my favourite thing about this whole thing and I'm really digging on the painterly style of the textures.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I posted a thread over in Technical Talk about inverse the effects DoF has in UDK. Right now I can only seem to effect the background and not the foreground propers of depth of field.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Check out the link above, I replied to it with what I found out to achieve what I wanted. Here are the early, first-pass, results:
    forestbase_forum_dof01.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Like most games with this sort of DoF, theres no way for me to blue the actual edges of the mesh to make it ultra-realistic. Normally thats just something I would do in post (read: Photoshop) but since I want to have a video when I am done this will have to do.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Works pretty nice on the foliage, will be nice to see it in motion :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    its a shame the blur doesnt work as expected, would it be possible to have a foreground blur as well as a distant background blur?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Make sure you watch it in 1080p ;)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exVwlEcNtwE[/ame]

I mention that I *am* in game mode which is why the post isn't on, I meant to say I am NOT in Game mode. D'oh!
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Come on Adam, you still aren't finished with this!? :P

Looking good, I will agree that the DoF is a little annoying but that's just how it has to be :P

I wonder if you could do some sort of screen overlay to fake the blurring? I realize it wouldn't work in some spots, but maybe it could help....
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Nice Video. Although that narrator sounds pretty lame. :P Just Kidding!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Would it be worth it to do further updates in a video?
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Would it be worth it to do further updates in a video?

If it isn't too much more work, yes :P I've always liked the videos over pics...
  • Kessler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kessler polycounter lvl 17
    ADAM ! you are excellent. I like the style of this environment. A fun thing to do with those floating assets instead of deleting or pressing the end key is to place a rocket booster mesh underneath to give in that believability.... not <---- Run on sentence PARTY! But seriously I think this looks great man. gj
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Mmmmm... movement :)

Looks great adam, the harder edges aren't as apparent when its in motion, and it actually works really well, very nice.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    I just wanted to say fantastic video, fantastic thread. You're a true inspiration to current/aspiring environment artists.
    If it's not too much work, videos would be really helpful, I find that whenever I just save images- I typically need to save the text as well for it to be useful later on, while videos are an all in one. Either way - It's great to see all this come together
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Love the video Adam! I'm all for major updates being done in video, just because it makes life easier for you. And what capture program did you use to capture you? Was it the non free version of FRAPS?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks guys - I guess I'll do more ;)

I used Camtasia to capture it. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to capture at a higher frame rate then it did.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Slum wrote: »
    heh, aboot.

Ha...
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13
    Nice preview in the vid! The textures really make it work, nothing thats jarring to the eye.

huh. Since you see the effect better at a lower camera altitude, I figure that the Evil Genius has an equally short adversary. :P Keep up the work man!
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    Hi adam. New here on Polycount and only been modelling for about 4 month now. Really love your forest and foliage and your scene looks great! I have looked for tutorial on how to make these type of meshes but never found any good ones. Care to make or share a good tutorial on the subject? Would make my day! :)
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    Hey adam, i have question for ya, how you go about the water?

ps. everything looks stunning
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Striker, right now the water is a modified Epic material setup inside of my own material. The biggest difference are the fadeoff distance from the shore, the colour, and overall opacity. Eventually I'll swap in my own normal maps to make it my own.mkandersson

mkandersson - Welcome! I was thinking of showing the foliage and cliff faces in a video. It wouldn't be a tutorial so much as a more personal look at their mesh work in general.
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving the updates, looking forward to seeing more.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Slum wrote: »
    heh, aboot.
    :poly142: Seriously. Was having a hard day so far, but chuckled every time he said it. Absolutely made my morning.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I have no problems fist fighting midgets, Scooby. :poly118:
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I have no problems fist fighting midgets, Scooby. :poly118:

Damn he burned you Scooby.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    sent you a PM about the DOF, adam
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah I was able to read it but haven't had much time to experiment with the idea.

Why'd you PM me? This thread is all about sharing ideas - so get it in here!