Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fatty demon

Ive started making this demon basted off the willendorf Venus.

Still got lots to do just want would like another set of eyes on this thing to see if I missed anything obvious.

Any Critiques would be greatly appreciated.

wip1-1.jpg

Sorry about the small image I'll post a bigger one soon.

Replies

• ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    interesting. my only comment is that the armpit area is too vacant, and that those backfat folds might need to be brought up a tiny bit in that area. i assume this will be solved as the arms are filled out though
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    When I saw this thread and then saw the image, all I could think was "how is the Venus of Willendorf a demon?"
    I'd say you need more demon and less Willendorf. Have you done any sketches of where you're planning on going with this?
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Ahoy,

* The fat folds seem to fold in wayyyyyyy too much.Making it look like the beast has been on a crash course in weight watchers. Soften the creases, making them bulge up more as they fold over each other to show the fat dropping to the ground.

* The sagging around the top of the back (shoulder blades) is overkill, almost like a second pair of breasts.

Fat creases act similarly to clothing. The creases are formed between the areas where most of the tension is applied (in this case gravity is causing downwards tension and the skeleton acting in the opposite).

Good luck.
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek: Good eye! I have yet to work out the armpits and the rest of the tentacle arms and I am working on the back more.

OrganizedChaos: My original idea was that the Willendorf statue was not a fertility idol but a ward for a monster. With that, I wanted the monster to look a lot like the original statue and not stray to much so it could be easily seen as the Willendorf Venus.

This is the sketch I did of it.
    motherearth.jpg

Baj Singh: Thank you for the direction on how to correct the folds. I'm currently adding more volume to the fat to better and more realistically show the folds.

These are some of the images I was using for reference.
    fat_woman_in_bikinis.jpg
    obesemattcardygetty.jpg
  • Papa_Austin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Papa_Austin polycounter lvl 10
    how bout this one venus%20of%20willendorf.jpg
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick, what is ^, where was it found, and when! go! :P...bonus points for size and what its made of

seriously though that's exactly what I was thinking of when I saw this lol. Good 'ole art history...urgh
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    something mayan or egyptian, probably a demon of some sort or a bondage figurine? found in the early 20th century, made of clay, about the size of a thumb?
    btw, something about grotesquely fat creatures makes me happy; can't wait to see how this turns out/
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    i know it! its the venus of willdendorf. !!!
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    something about the original post would lead me to agree with sampson,

Seems like all of the fat is more like cloth, there needs to be some gravity affecting your folds, more stretching, and a build up at the bottom of the fat roll. like a tennis ball in a sock :poly122:
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the WIP of it, I'm still working slowly on it. Work now has most of my time devoted to it.

wip2.jpg

I worked on the fat a bit, and hopefully it looks more like fat now and not cloth. If I am still missing the point please point it out. =D

Thanks!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    She's hot!
    (someone had to say it)

It's coming along nicely, although I think you moved up in subdivisions to quickly. There is a lot of basic shapes and things you should really nail first before you go into sculpting out every little skin fold and such. While working like this is ok, its certainly not ideal, and you will end up fighting your mesh a lot more.
    Might be too late though, so just keep going man!