Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My try at SSS_fast_skin shader...

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
evillair polycounter lvl 17
Here's a head I modeled in Zbrush and I'm working on the skin textures now.
Here's a render from 3dsMax.
I'm using the SSS_fast_skin shader for this.

I'm still working on it, I need to subdermal layer to show more without affecting the top layers.
But anyways, here's what I have now...

Any tips on making it better is appreciated!

image47.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    those eyes are super far apart btw
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Skin + lighting is looking good but.... ^This^ (eyes look way too far apart)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    general rule of thumb is eyes are an eye-width apart, center of pupils are close to lining up with the corners of the mouth.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Not bad, although to enhance the skin shader effect I'd try a stronger main light, and less strong ambient / backlight - maybe one bright rim light really far behind the model to accentuate the edges and cast light through the ear, but right now your "fill" lights are very bright and kinda washing out all of the forms. Stick with one key light for now.

Also I might even increase the strength of the SSS distance, but it's hard to tell in this lighting setup.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    yep agree with mop, skin shaders fall down in strong lighting so post a few different ones, make it break then its easier to be able to crit and improve it
  • evillair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are right about the eyes, I fix them.

Yeah, the lighting is a bit strong. I'll try a few more tries with different lighting to see how it looks.

Thanks for the input!
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    You'll find the whole thing works better if you use HDRI illumination. My setup usually includes 1 point light with area shadows as well.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    It doesn't look like you're using a mask between the subdermal and epidermal either.

I think you need more scattering on the ears, nose, neck, and chin, but the overall scattering looks pretty good.

I also think this would benefit a LOT from actually painting a subdermal layer rather than just going with a flat colour. You'll find there's some deep blues under the eyes, and the nose should be a bit desaturated, and the lips should be more pink.

Overall it's a really good start.

:D
  • evillair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23, I'm using a .hdr for reflections, is this what you mean?
    [edit] After looking it over it's the hdr that's washing everything out too bright.

JacqueChoi, here's my textures. I'm using a noise type shader for the overall spec. The spec texture is for the weight of the 2 layers.

image48.jpg

Thanks for the tips, I'm new to this shader and rendering also. Any tips will help me improve!