Home Technical Talk

Normal Map Pixelation??

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Colemerson polycounter lvl 10
So I have no idea whats going on with this. Starting baking out test normal maps for this puppy and am running into a problem.

Viewing the model from one angle displays the normal map as nice and crisp. Viewing it from a different angle (Usually from the opposite direction) shows it as all pixelated.

I initially thought this was maya lighting being stupid. Tried placing my own lights still no difference. I tried it in unreal and it still showed up as pixelated although not as bad.

Any ideas whats causing this and how to fix it?

NormalWhat.jpg

NormalTest2.jpg

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    If you are working with 3dsmax there is an option for texture filtering and prefered rendersizes , i think by default it´s something like 256*256 and you have to change it yourself(this is only for viewport if i´m not mistaken)

But it looks like maya... do you get the same results if you render the image?
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brice Vandemoortele polycounter lvl 19
    do you have the same result with a custom cg/hlsl shader?
    could be a driver problem, those artifacts could just be the lower mipmaps of the normal map fetched because of some wrong derivative calculation. I had very very weird stuff going on with mipmaps in maya
  • Colemerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colemerson polycounter lvl 10
    Ok, rendered it out with Mental Ray and it still shows up exactly the same. I've only tried it on basic Maya shaders though but I haven't had problems with them in the past. Idk whats up with this I'm assuming something with the normal map itself. Guess I'll keep messing with render settings unless anyone has more ideas.