Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - rollin .. and .. well.. samurai cowboy pictures too

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
rollin polycounter
Ok .. the portfolio thread rules don't say something about posting several things in one thread..
well..
however

First I want to post the (somehow) finished samurai cowboy model

I didn't choose an alpha solution.. it was not worth the effort and the result didn't look that great.. I've build a small fur-shader with shaderFX instead.

The result looks much better and it gives also easy control over the effect and a nicer silhouette.
tak_text_wip11c.jpg
tak_text_wip11a.jpg
tak_text_wip11b.jpg

And next I want to also pimp my new QUICK PORTFOLIO (maan I'm such an great inventor ... :poly142:

I'm not using javascript atm.. so your browser should cache images.. I'll try to implement this if many people have problem with the actual version.

Also I'm interested if you think the format is too big, too small, too difficult to understand.
If you find any problems or bad rollin-english sentences, I'd be very happy if you could point it out to me.

CLICK HERE !!!!

TestA
TestB
TestC
TestD

screenshot_01.jpg

-
-

Replies

• roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    Sick character model! Im surprised how well the fuzzy inside of the jacket looks. good job!
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the character very much. It's funny I was thinking about the similarities between samurai and western movies just the other day...

Nice website as well, though it's a bit too tall for me unless I scroll it just right. I'm on a 1280 x 960 res monitor.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Cool site. I like it. I think you should make the + More Info + button bigger/more visible, I didn't actually see it till the very last slide lol.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ditch the background and the splash page explaining the user how to use the internets :P just have a page with all the work on like shimmer did and i say thats the best way to present ur work :P
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    I agree with Johny, your style of character work is soo cool and different yet the design of the splash page and background are the most generic art student type designs you could go with, I would axe them. Also it kinda bothers me how the images seem to be out of order. Like you come across the first jedi pic, then its the wip shots of the varlach, then the jedi, 2 more unrelated images, then the jedi again. Also I think you should add your final dom war shots of the varlach in as its own image rather then cropping them and mixing it in with the other dom war guy.

Either way man you have some amazing work and I always look forward to your next character.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree about the background, it actually distracted me from the scrollbar. Went two images before I realized the thumbnails were offscreen.

Loving the cowboy too, great character. My only crit would be to add a little grit to his cyberware, or a greasy smudge or something, looks too clean for the guy.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    cheers all!

Page Size:yes the size of the page is one kind of a problem but on the other hand I want space for the images. So I think it's kind of an experiment. Maybe add an "fullscreen" button?

Start Screen: Johny, you're quite right with the start-screen. In fact no one reads the text.. as brandoom and throttlekitty clearly demonstrated ;) - I'll remove it.

Background: I've experimented with plain or simple structured backgrounds. In fact, the only reason why I've used this type of photo-background style is bc I liked it the most. So it's maybe a matter of taste.
    I do have simple one-page layouts on my "blog" to display all the pictures there. But this mini-folio should only contain a small collection of images. I want to crate a mood, more than showing all or complete pictures. If someone likes what he/she sees, they should go to my homepage.
    So maybe I should make this fact clearer ?! Bigger blinking links ;)

Image Order: I thought it would be a bit boring to see all model related images grouped together. But if this is in some way annoying I can definitely change it.

throttlekitty: there is a structure.. it's simply the size of the images that steal a bit of the details
    tak_text_wip11d.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    layout suggestion: I don't like having to go through all your images one by one to see them. I know you have thumbnails at the bottom, but they're so small that there is no way I can tell which one I want to click to see something. If you still want to keep this giant scroller window rather than having a few different thumbnails linking to a group of pics of each character, then at least make the thumbnails at the bottom much larger.

work is excellent.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    my main problem is not that the page is too large or the images are out of order, but that i can't tell which one i'm looking at currently. If i move my mouse off the one i clickd i just loose my place as to which picture is next. I would recommend making the selected pic highlighted, or making them easier to make out. all grey with one blue alway makes me think the 1st pic is highlighted and that's the one i'm viewing. right now it's a bit counter intuitive.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    I also would like to have the current viewed thumbnail highlighted and bigger thumbs would be good as well. Right now I can't make out what will appear next.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    ok.. me big inventor again:

it's just a quick test with only two of the images

http://blog.maginot.eu/null.php?p=till.2__Till_Maginot_Quick_Portfolio_(testB)

does it work? does it work better? smells it and the other one was 10 times cooler?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    slick portfolio. I prefer the original method to testB, you could lose viewers of images, because they'd miss the horizontal scrollbar.

few comments on it:

- lose the little drawing of the guy on the blue front page
    - images load slow, maybe try for an SWF preloader?

models look rad, really ties it together in a nice presentation
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, that could work. Perhaps just make the scrolling feature more apparent.

And forgot to say, great models. Me like! :D
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Hey rollin, I think the new test is pretty cool but if you are going to treat each image as a giant thumbnail that takes you to the full gallery of related images then I think that needs to be more apparent. The little "more info" button is small and misleading, it doesn't really tell me that im going to see more pictures, some people might just think its literally more info about the back story or something and skip it all together. After clicking that "more info" button it might be best to just go right to the new gallery and have the text up above all the images, there is no reason having one more step between the main page and the full set of pictures since thats what people are coming to see.
  • Equinoxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equinoxx polycounter lvl 18
    the idea is nice and all, but form my point of view, it's a real mess

you have multiple thumbs/pages per model.

there's the 1st one with the darfly and the varlach, then somewhere later you ahve he varlach again on it's own, there are two thumbs/pages for the Cowboy samurai, there's a page for 3 characters, then later on there's one for one of them alone ... the more info + more pictures takes to many clicks to see it all ...

and where are the wireframes + lowpoly, lowpoly + normal, highpolies etc.

imo the best is to have a main page with thumbs, then clicking on the thumbs goes to a page with all the related images (see above) incluing all necesary info (the text you have in more info)

two clicks gives you all you need to know about a model/image

again, and no offence intended, but it really is an unorganised portfolio.
    And thats a shame, cause all models are REALLY awesome.

also, the new test is even worse, you don't have a oneshot clear overview of what's to see on the site at all ...

I don't intend to come across so harsh, but it's just the way I see it ...

read it as if we were in a bar having some pints and just bouncing talk back and forth :D

s'all
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hey ho,

Ok, I'm still trying to find a convenient way of presenting my stuff.

moose: front page is gone (so is the little one)
    The Images shouldn't take too long to load. If it really takes to long I have to ask my host what's going on.. (the server is in Germany.. that's maybe a reason.. )

AimBiZ: thx ;) what do you think about testC ?

nrek: I'm going a new way with testC and dropping the more-info link. I hope it helps to bring the important info (what is where) faster to the user.

Equinoxx: I've reordered the images, so they are grouped together. And I'm not such a big fan of the "normal" thumbnail page. And that's simply why I'm not doing it ;) But with the 3rd test I'm also using thumbnails.. so well.. :poly142:

Here are all three links together:

(with small update)
    http://blog.maginot.eu/null.php?p=till.2__Till_Maginot_Quick_Portfolio_(PageA)

http://blog.maginot.eu/null.php?p=till.2__Till_Maginot_Quick_Portfolio_(testB)

(simple design yet)
    http://blog.maginot.eu/null.php?p=till.2__Till_Maginot_Quick_Portfolio_(testC)
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    I'm viewing your website with a 21" LCD screen that's running at 1080p resolution, and I still have to scroll the page up and down to use the basic navigational system. What do you think I should do?

That's correct: I should get even bigger screen :|

(AND, it's never a good sign of good interface design if you have to explain how your interface works, as you do in your front page)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Hey rollin, I'm more of a fan of your text C site...

It may just be me, but I find your current design too tacky / too bulky for its own good. And as 9skulls pointed out, also running this one a 21" monitor and i have to scroll.

I think you're on to something with Test C... nice and clean :)
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Liking test C moar, but I'm unsure with the whole concept about alot of sidescrolling.

Personaly I'd still prefer just a bunch of thumbnails with a gallery page for each of them.
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome work!
    I like C, too. Just make sure that there are big enough arrows for sidescrolling.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    yes I know the "problem" with side scrolling. Normally I also don't like it but I've seen some great sides using it and it worked

With the C test it wouldn't be so hard to make the design top-down scrollable

But I have one question: How do you side-scroll?
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I like test C the best. There's still some stuff you can do to improve it though. Take out one thumbnail from each section and get rid of the text, maybe have one line. So you end up with larger thumbnails which lead to another page scrolling page of full images. Usually the idea of sidescrolling sites are to show the full images in the browser with only height as a restriction. For example ArtBully Productions and Massive Black.

Also shrink the copyright text, it's huge and you could regain a lot of screen real estate by making it smaller.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I'm dropping the idea with the side scroller for this one

In general I want to keep the system to find the links to the galleries in the text-parts and not as link from the thumbnails.

Also the amount of text is still very very small and I think these small bits of information are necessary. However, it's not so important, that the text needs to be visible right from the beginning.

And I hope it's now obvious where you have to click if "something" should happen..
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Yeah, I like that setup the most so far. Excellent job!