Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: Female Head.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
Hallo.

Still continuing with my work on heads, I started this the other day as I think female heads are much more difficult than males due to the subtly of the features. Again, I want to try and texture this for practice.

I definitely want to go back and work on the ears as they seem a bit too flat, as for the rest of it all crits are welcome.

Cheers.

311koz6.jpg

Replies

• Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Wow. Was that just from scratch?
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The head was created from a simple base mesh whilst the hair was created by just taking a sphere and moulding it. Ive never done hair like this anymore however its quicker than making low poly planes and I reckon that if the hair captures a decent silhouette then I can use it to make the low poly (to help get the shape and the flow of the low poly hair strips right). So in essence the hair is more of a placeholder to help build low poly hair.

Here's the base mesh.

(P.S. I did use reference (theres no way it would look like it does without it).

20try90.jpg
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Shes looking real nice man, good sense of forms going on. Chicks are really hard to do, I've built my fair share of characters over the years and nothing has challenged me like building a female, so when ive got the time, i can usually be found making chick characters LOL.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin' good there! The rear of the jaw looks a little off to me, like it's sunk in a little much.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback (and apologies for the late response).

I did some fixes to the high poly and then attempted to texture the low poly head (using spheres for eyes and planes for hair) and I think something got lost in translation. (Image on the left is the flat texture, image on right contains normal + spec).

1417eix.jpg

For some reason the hair doesn't render properly in Marmoset so I need to work on that at some point however I think there's something wrong with the face and i'm not sure whether the texturing is lacking something.
  • Razvan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The skin looks great but the hair could do with some work. It looks like she is wearing a helmet right now. The speculat map is as fault. Looks more like plastic than hair.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great, but i think she needs eyelashes to set her eyes off, got to put those in, with planes again. You can get alphas to work to some extent inside marmoset but im skeptical at achieving a solid result with those kinds of viewing distances your looking at there.

I think the skin is nice but fairly even at the moment, you could try throwing some more pink at the ears and nose and some faint blues around the eyes. Just working in some more slight colour variations will propel it forward alot!

Keep going man!
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    This is looking pretty good so far. I am very new to this but I think she is lacking jaw bone a little bit and I also think she could use some more variations of red on the nose and cheeks.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    Do something to amke the eyes look more real. The hair, you already know about. Its the eyes that will cost you the most time because of its specific reflective properties.
  • ivanushka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Her head looks a little too wide from the side profile, although I can't tell too well if you've fixed this or not in your newest update. Perhaps it's a little too wide from the front too, paying attention closely to the distance between the eyes, cheeks, and ears.