Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Member - Simple Gas Tank

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Mike Barnucz polycounter lvl 7
Hi everyone, after hearing nothing but good things about this forum from a few friends, I decided to join and hope to contribute. I'm just trying to do some quick high quality models before moving onto bigger portfolio pieces.

This is a gas tank I modeled last night. Right now its sitting at 870 Triangles. I know this is pretty high, even for a next gen game asset, and I'd like to get it down before moving onto UV's and textures. Crits welcome.
Thanks!

sgxmivv2lvn6qai7sxrs_thumb.jpgl1iir5ta8wqywb89uv_thumb.jpgf00jp3nuddk0zbigpt0_thumb.jpg

ovgjch9ibpi4sw2ulxw_thumb.jpg6zcls1z3hhrcd5i0ep_thumb.jpg

Replies

• sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Are you going to do a highpoly for it? Some of thous details you got your ref picture is kinda hard to create with a texture. If you are doing a highpoly you absolutely could get it down pretty far in the count.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Looks nice and welcome to Polycount!

The only worry I have with your model at present is the sides, when smoothed they will have errors because of the 90 degree angles and all those tris. Recommend chamfering the sides and keeping quads near the edges. To compensate against the extra faces you could detach the handles and make them floating geometry which would enable you to remove those edges loops running around the thin side, should even things out and make mapping easier.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Buddy!

Coming along nicely seeing the reference and what your trying to accomplish you've got it spot on. My only critique is that you bring down the polycount a bit and you'll be a good to go.

Keep it up!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Haha, good work on the first post, can be a big step in the game art field. Prepare for information overload but just take it one step at a time, plenty to learn :). Not sure what software you're using but i'd suggest taking out edges that exist on a plane, like the long diagnol edges on the side of the can that don't contribute to the form of the object, keeping things quads is so yesterday. Keep shapes simple so you can judge the form. As others have stated, it's never too soon to start trying to figure out high poly modeling.

Always nice to see some new blood around here, hope you keep comin' back for more!
  • Mike Barnucz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Barnucz polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks everyone. I'm just trying to do a low poly game asset without any sculpting. I'll try detaching the handles as GCMP suggested and cleaning up the stretched triangles at the edges.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    A high poly then baking the indents on the sides to a game res model would be the best way.

The ones from Modern Warfare 2 would be good examples to look at.
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    I modeled one of those too recently actually, if you wanna find some better reference and such it's actually called a "Jerry Can" Not that you seem to need it, just... more reference is usually always better :P

Fun fact, they used these to haul water in WWII.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    hey thanks, i needed a good picture of one of those, for my tank model.