Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tavern

Hullo.

I've been working on putting together an environment portfolio, this is the initial stage of the first piece, a Tavern, based on a concept from Fable 2:

308l8wj.jpg

Thought I would use Marmoset or Unity for final presentation render purposes, I am not very comfortable with either of them, so would love some pointers.

Working on a base mesh right now, going to sculpt the details like wood/stones and the likes.

Still a w.i.p
2whgj2f.png

I'll update as I proceed. Just shoot those crits :)

Cheers!

Replies

• artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Looking nice so far on the block out. Since you're going to be sculpting, don't forget to have equal quad distribution on your polys (the roof right now is the first thing that catches my eye).

As for not being comfortable with Unity or Marmo, best way to get comfortable is to try it out and see what happens.

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=61346
    Reading through that should be a good start for you to get through the basics and other problems people have had before you. There's also the UDK, which has a thread both here and on the UDN.
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, thank you, I've been reading bits of that thread, managed to get a hang of Marmo as far as importing and mats are concerned, I was having some issues with environment before, but I will thoroughly go through the thread again.

Yeah, the roof does not have equally distributed polys right now, will revise it and complete the loops.

Cheers!
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    griffinax,good job so far.Regarding showcasing ur model in unity,it is fairly a straight forward process and does not involve any complex procedures. All u have to do is export the model as FBX and just load the appropriate mat in unity. I would recommend a second set of UVs for the house which will allow u to bake a nice lightmap and load a lightmapped diffuse mat in Unity.
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vj_box wrote: »
    griffinax,good job so far.Regarding showcasing ur model in unity,it is fairly a straight forward process and does not involve any complex procedures. All u have to do is export the model as FBX and just load the appropriate mat in unity. I would recommend a second set of UVs for the house which will allow u to bake a nice lightmap and load a lightmapped diffuse mat in Unity.

Sweet, as with Marmo, I did play around with Unity as well, and yes, gotta admit, the asset workflow is quite linear. Gonna do some more trials with the maps.

Cheers!
  • Priske415
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking great, nothing to complain about so far.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good so far mate, keep us updated.. :P
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    im excited for this model. keep it commin!
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    Lookin good so far, keep us posted! :D
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    One of my favorite concept art pieces, good luck, looking good thus far.
    Some parts really need to be more stylized and pushed farther. That's what makes the concept work so well.
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    One of my favorite concept art pieces, good luck, looking good thus far.
    Some parts really need to be more stylized and pushed farther. That's what makes the concept work so well.
    Yes, I understand. Like the first floor looks a bit flat to me right now, in silhouette, but I shall fix it. Can you be more specific about what needs to be exaggerated?

Cheers!

Priske415; bbob; roosterMAP; LlamaJuice; Nitewalkr: Thanks, sure will!
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!

2qmhkoz.png
    I am aware of the poly issues at a few places, but I will fix it in the next updated, just wanted to get this up..

Oh, and I think the lamp on the left of the structure looks enormous in comparison, fits anyway :P

*fixing fixing*

Working on the rest of it.

Cheers!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    What are you gonna do for the roof tiles? U gonna make actual geometry? that would be awesome!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    This is pretty exciting looking so far- I love how it's coming out and I'm definitely keeping watch :)
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    What are you gonna do for the roof tiles? U gonna make actual geometry? that would be awesome!
    Perhaps yes and/or bake it. What do you suggest?

This is pretty exciting looking so far- I love how it's coming out and I'm definitely keeping watch :)
    Thanks. Me too, because I don't know how its gonna turn out haha! Well I do but only as far as tools support :P Just don't wanna over/under-do anything..

I have got a question, I am still confused how to present the final, would it be better if I transferred the whole scene into UDK? or Unity or S/S in Marmo? I am not accustomed to any of those as I said before, what should I prefer and what would be helpful for the future?

Cheers!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Marmo is the quickest and easiest, and has great results, I'd definitely try that first, but it can have some issues with transparency.

and I think the windows should be a bit smaller on the bottom than the top, according to the concept art (I know its in perspective, but compare the door to the windows, it looks like the artists made the windows that shape.)
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marmo is the quickest and easiest, and has great results, I'd definitely try that first, but it can have some issues with transparency.

and I think the windows should be a bit smaller on the bottom than the top, according to the concept art (I know its in perspective, but compare the door to the windows, it looks like the artists made the windows that shape.)

Ah alright.
    Hmm, I'll revise the aesthetics for sure.

Cheers!
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright! Li'l update time!

Its progressing slowly.
    had a problems with adding components, I think, things are a lil bit off proportionally..
    21lrgog.png

Did some tests with Marmoset..
    2rmtfgh.png

2sbtq1g.png

Tex's
    foda9d.png

arr I know is not much, learning, I am so lazy >.>

Pointers/tips/suggestions/critics?
    Cheers!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think your relying too much on crazy bump to generate your normals, the diffuse looks good. But the normals make it look too lumpy.
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you suggest I do instead?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Quick question, why are 2 of the sides a little bit washed out?

You should make a high poly model of it, it'll make the seams pop out more, then you can use crazy bump to add a little (LITTLE) bit of bump on the wood of the grain.
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question, why are 2 of the sides a little bit washed out?

Those are top/bottoms, and seriously, I dont know why :O
    You should make a high poly model of it, it'll make the seams pop out more, then you can use crazy bump to add a little (LITTLE) bit of bump on the wood of the grain.
    okay, that I'll do then.
  • Daniel Doerksen
    i tihnk id just tone done the very large detail to 0 and large to about 20-40 and it looks like you used a color vs height for it so id recommend turning shape recognition off
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    ^

I usually always turn shape recognition to 0, makes it look less lumpy. You can then use that to overlay on a HP bake easier.
  • dv8ix
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i tihnk id just tone done the very large detail to 0 and large to about 20-40 and it looks like you used a color vs height for it so id recommend turning shape recognition off
    LlamaJuice wrote: »
    ^

I usually always turn shape recognition to 0, makes it look less lumpy. You can then use that to overlay on a HP bake easier.

Will do that, thanks a lot for the replies :)
    dv8ix wrote: »
    NICE!
    Cheers!
  • Turbosmooth Operator
    griffinax wrote: »
    Tex's
    foda9d.png

arr I know is not much, learning, I am so lazy >.>

Pointers/tips/suggestions/critics?
    Cheers!
    Well, you essentially have 3/4 of your texture sheet being used as wasted space. It's simply the same texture rotated and flipped three times. This only hurts your overall look and gains nothing. Instead of doing this, you could create three other variations instead of the copy and pasted one or if you think you can get away with only one unique side for the entire box, make it take up the entire texture sheet and rotate/flip the UV's of the other sides to minimize the noticeable tiling.

To be honest I see the same wood knot and shapes throughout the texture (talking just on one side of the box) You could just as easily texture two or three wood planks and organize the UV's as such, though this would force you to split your geo a bit.

The outer edges of the box shouldn't be darkened. It makes the viewer see it as sides rather than as a whole box. I'd tone down the AO as well.
  • MrMachete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as turbosmooth said, the edges of your box should be lighter not dark like you have