Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Karkasmolenklok
    More progress.
    I need some labels and sticker ideas.
    i need to fix that uber liquid in that jar.
    What about the old Team Fortress skull and fort bolt symbols? You see the tf skull in the original "meet the team" preview, maybe it would work well here, perhaps with dripping paint?

skullface.png

Or perhaps a star of life (a six-sided cross which often, but not always, has the Rod of Asclepius in the center)

Star_of_life2.svg

Assuming, of course, you're looking for a symbol of some sort and not like a serial number or "This End Towards Patient" label.
    Screwonhed wrote: »
    Like the good Doctor Frankenstein, I have resurrected this from the dead! (aka my polycount pack http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73452 )
    need to tweak the model a bit to make it more efficient, but it will soon be up on the workshop.
    I'm glad you did, I was always kind of hoping to see some more of that stuff make it into the game.
    RedSheep wrote: »
    made a gun.

I am really liking the texture, particularly the subtle rust and that loop and screw at the front are really good-looking. I'd like to see something different done with the handle though, perhaps make it look actually sawed rather than just short-handled for instance.
  • Too Many Bees!
    Hello, all. I made a breastplate and would like some feedback, specifically about the texture and the amount of "wear and tear" it has. I am at the point where, without some clear input from a fresh pair of eyes, I will continue obliviously detailing away until the texture and profile resemble something out of [insert modern high-fidelity graphics game] rather than TF2.

Thanks!

abrender_redblu.png

ablative-ingame.jpg
  • Manibogi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The cloth texture doesn't look good compared to the actual breast plate. And I think you should add caution stripes to the RED dynamites. Other that that, it's lookin' pretty good!
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Seems a little big and rotund, partially because it's going around his already heavy EOD vest. You might want to look at comparative silhouettes between it and the normal demoman profile because Valve really gets hung up on that.
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    random overdetailed shark knife alert

sharkknife3.PNG

probably won't submit it
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Ok i don't want to sound like a whining prick, but does someone actually get how the workshop notations system precisely works ?

How comes item like "lasersnip" which is
    1 : a picture
    2 : a stolen picture
    3: a stolen picture not even in the style of TF2

is in the first page of most weekly popular items ?

All items in first pages should have 5 stars, no ?
    My item (among other serious submissions) was in page 1 10 hours ago and is now in page 5, burried under a lot of stupid crap. How is that even possible ?

Has someone of you been in touch with valve and know some more about this (mess) ?
  • Dr. Heinz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Give idiots the right to vote, and that happens, Noors. It's how we got Bush Jr. for 8 bloody years.
  • reinanc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ill try to burn pyro's head. >:))
  • Leyto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leyto polycounter lvl 7
    EVIL wrote: »
    Can you quote the text from your VTM material files? same for your QC file.

we can hardly help you if we don't know what you did.

Sorry for forgetting it...

Problem solved ! The solution was in tf_weapon_bat_wood.ctx (script folder) :
    WeaponData
    {
        // Attributes Base.
        "printname"            "#TF_Weapon_Bat"
        "BuiltRightHanded"        "0"
        "MeleeWeapon"            "1"
        "weight"            "1"
        "WeaponType"        "melee"
        "ITEM_FLAG_NOITEMPICKUP"     "1"

// Attributes TF.
        "Damage"            "35"
        "TimeFireDelay"            "0.5"
        "TimeIdle"            "5.0"
    [COLOR=Red]    "HasTeamSkins_Viewmodel"    "1"[/COLOR]

// Ammo & Clip
        "primary_ammo"            "TF_AMMO_GRENADES1"
        "secondary_ammo"        "None"

// Buckets.    
        "bucket"            "2"
        "bucket_position"        "0"

// Model & Animation
        "viewmodel"            "models/weapons/v_models/v_bat_scout.mdl"
        "playermodel"            "models/weapons/w_models/w_bat.mdl"
        "anim_prefix"            "bat"

// Sounds for the weapon. There is a max of 16 sounds per category (i.e. max 16 "single_shot" sounds)
        SoundData
        {
            "melee_miss"        "Weapon_Bat.Miss"
            "melee_hit"        "Weapon_BaseballBat.HitFlesh"
            "melee_hit_world"        "Weapon_BaseballBat.HitWorld"
            "burst"            "Weapon_Bat.MissCrit"
             "special1"          "Weapon_Baseball.HitWorld"
             "special2"        "Weapon_BaseballBat.HitBall"
        }

// Weapon Sprite data is loaded by the Client DLL.
        TextureData
        {
            "weapon"
            {
                    "file"        "sprites/bucket_bat_red"
                    "x"        "0"
                    "y"        "0"
                    "width"        "200"
                    "height"        "128"
            }
            "weapon_s"
            {    
                    "file"        "sprites/bucket_bat_blue"
                    "x"        "0"
                    "y"        "0"
                    "width"        "200"
                    "height"        "128"
            }

"ammo"
            {
                    "file"        "sprites/a_icons1"
                    "x"        "55"
                    "y"        "60"
                    "width"        "73"
                    "height"    "15"
            }

"crosshair"
            {
                    "file"        "sprites/crosshairs"
                    "x"        "32"
                    "y"        "32"
                    "width"        "32"
                    "height"    "32"
            }

"autoaim"
            {
                    "file"        "sprites/crosshairs"
                    "x"        "0"
                    "y"        "48"
                    "width"        "24"
                    "height"    "24"
            }
        }
    }

I don't know if the fact of putting it under the "category" Attribute TF. changes anything but now it works.

2012070700002z.jpg
  • Grimbodan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fb26d83e.png
    I fear no tf2 cosmetic, but that 'thing'.. it scares me.
    Noors wrote: »
    but does someone actually get how the workshop notations system precisely works ?
    "Most Popular" seems to be more related to frequency/amount of comments rather than actual score. Thats why some crap gets up there since everyone is commenting about how crap it is.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Dr. Heinz wrote: »
    Give idiots the right to vote, and that happens, Noors. It's how we got Bush Jr. for 8 bloody years.

haha
    Yeah, that's the price to pay for democracy i guess. Fortunately, Valve, the beloved despot, decides in the end for our own good :)
  • Dr. Heinz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha
    Yeah, that's the price to pay for democracy i guess. Fortunately, Valve, the beloved despot, decides in the end for our own good :)

Well, the thing is about Valve, at least they do more in a month than our own congress. Valve, sadly/scary enough, is the only corporation I would actually trust with running the nation, if corporations do take over the country (and they're close, but NOT quite there yet). But then we'd have idiots ranting about HL3 still not being released and Gabe Newell coming out doing press events releasing the details on the new bill he's writing and Valve's newest gaming releases....Wait, Gabe Newell 2016! Let's get that going!
  • Karkasmolenklok
    NeoDement wrote: »
    random overdetailed shark knife alert

probably won't submit it

I think there's potential for a shark knife (though probably not that already-existing novelty knife, it doesn't fit well with TF2 in my humble opinion)

If you're going to go for that it should probably emphasize more the nose shape than the fins. It should probably be much simpler like the Kukri, and should probably go with some nautical-themed set (maybe Jaws themed?)

what do you think of this shape?

shark_knife_concept.jpg
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was indeed planning on making a V2 that was closer to the TF2 style, just made that last one in a day for a break from my Pyro set.
  • Eoj_Nawoh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, not really quite sure if I'm in the right place. I came in here thinking I was halfway to horrible and I've been re-affirmed into thinking that I know nothing. I'm new to this community and really interested in 3D modeling. I've been trying to get stuff done, but in between lack of experience and lack of ideas I'm just kinda there.

All in all, if I'm in the wrong place for an intro, please tell me, if I'm in the wrong place and should just delete my account now, please feel free to tell me.

I'm done some PS work and etc, but nothing too big.

Here's a few things I did recently:

Spy Weapon "Kill Me" from Meet the Medic:
    5392d1f4c539f756b666918dbeb980f9.png

Logo for TF2-Trader:
    5a08f4b4f4bad7398da79535cffbe303.png

Hat based off Justified:
    acca7377095f48451e92e30718527571.png
    c29940a819b87366c48f1a76b000b273.png

A Failing Attempt at an Indiana Jones Hat:
    89b1ef8d4b1b63ba8f7757eca8a2212f.png

Any help or assistance or anything given by any of you would be an honor. And if by anyone could mentor/teach me, I'd be eternally grateful. I have a lot of ideas and lack the knowledge.
  • Manibogi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to burst your bubble but...http://gamebanana.com/tf2/skins/117433 The Spy head has been made already.
  • RetroMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RetroMike polycounter lvl 11
    I have kind of a newbie question regarding folder structure when submitting weapons and items. I know they like to have your work submitted in a specific folder structure so they can work with it more easily but what exactly is the preferred structure they would like the work submitted in? I've looked but haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

Best I can figure for items
    Texture = materials\models\player\items\spy\YOURITEMNAME
    Model = models\player\items\spy\YOURITEMNAME

and for weapons
    Texture = materials\models\weapons\c_items\YOURWEAPONNAME
    Model = models\weapons\c_models\YOURWEAPONNAME

Is this correct or have I got it wrong? I'd use item test to get the directory structure but it constantly crashes. Never been able to use it.
  • Eoj_Nawoh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manibogi wrote: »
    Sorry to burst your bubble but...http://gamebanana.com/tf2/skins/117433 The Spy head has been made already.

That's fine. I wanted to make it more for myself. Was just an idea I had and wanted to see if I could execute.

Eager for comments
    My post
  • Too Many Bees!
    Manibogi wrote: »
    The cloth texture doesn't look good compared to the actual breast plate. And I think you should add caution stripes to the RED dynamites.
    Seems a little big and rotund, partially because it's going around his already heavy EOD vest. You might want to look at comparative silhouettes between it and the normal demoman profile because Valve really gets hung up on that.

Noted and noted, thanks. The best I could do to refine its shape was to slim up with half wrapping around the waist, but I could only do so much because it needs to cover up his belt. But due to the way the demo is always hunched over, the profiles are pretty similar. This is my first model for a game, so it was primarily a teaching exercise. I probably should have picked something less ambitious like a hat which doesn't have clipping issues or need complex bone weighting, but :hindsight:
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    Finished this simple headband with light bulb on the top for heavy.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=80747095&searchtext=

6EE5BE7A16644C69E9D056CB47AB98BEA51CBAEE
  • Leyto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leyto polycounter lvl 7
    Nice ! 1° Why is the bulb not transparent, and 2° I thought its support was a spring (with jiggles naturally), don't ask me why :poly124:
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    Leyto wrote: »
    Nice ! 1° Why is the bulb not transparent, and 2° I thought its support was a spring (with jiggles naturally), don't ask me why :poly124:

I thought about this, would be great addition but I usually have problems with jiggle bones, is it normal they act weird in HLMV model viewer?
  • happlezzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blocked out a few color schemes for this sticky launcher replacement:

color_blockout_Set.png

Will finish texturing this today...with your help! I thrive off criticism, please give it to me.

I am not sure if I should detail all of these schemes and submit as styles or not.....probably not the third one.
  • Leyto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leyto polycounter lvl 7
    Pix wrote: »
    I thought about this, would be great addition but I usually have problems with jiggle bones, is it normal they act weird in HLMV model viewer?

It just needs a precise tuning, but IMHO it could greatly enhance a hat, especially if its justified. Please (re)take a look here https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Jigglebone
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    Leyto wrote: »
    It just needs a precise tuning, but IMHO it could greatly enhance a hat, especially if its justified. Please (re)take a look here https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Jigglebone

Thanks, gonna mess with it now, then re-upload to workshop.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    RedSheep wrote: »
    made a gun.
    shottie.jpg

This needs a bump from the previous page. The concept is simple, but it's elegantly done with excellent texture work. I think all too often modelers get overly complicated with their items when there is so much you can do with basic design.

Kudos.
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    Sniped that, managed to fix the problem, this will only stretch the page.
  • PootyforNicky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished my second Steam Workshop item. It's a simple butter knife and such.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=80822456

Video, preview, and picture of jumping spy holding it are included there.
  • Eoj_Nawoh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoj_Nawoh wrote: »
    Alright, not really quite sure if I'm in the right place. I came in here thinking I was halfway to horrible and I've been re-affirmed into thinking that I know nothing. I'm new to this community and really interested in 3D modeling. I've been trying to get stuff done, but in between lack of experience and lack of ideas I'm just kinda there.

All in all, if I'm in the wrong place for an intro, please tell me, if I'm in the wrong place and should just delete my account now, please feel free to tell me.

I'm done some PS work and etc, but nothing too big.

Here's a few things I did recently:

Spy Weapon "Kill Me" from Meet the Medic:
    5392d1f4c539f756b666918dbeb980f9.png

Logo for TF2-Trader:
    5a08f4b4f4bad7398da79535cffbe303.png

Hat based off Justified:
    acca7377095f48451e92e30718527571.png
    c29940a819b87366c48f1a76b000b273.png

A Failing Attempt at an Indiana Jones Hat:
    89b1ef8d4b1b63ba8f7757eca8a2212f.png

Any help or assistance or anything given by any of you would be an honor. And if by anyone could mentor/teach me, I'd be eternally grateful. I have a lot of ideas and lack the knowledge.

Figuring out how to add a band to that Justified hat. :/
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    GAAAAHH, I compiled my hat with itemtest, it worked nicely, then I decompiled it to add jiggle bones, I can't figure out what's wrong, it makes my brain boil.

heavy.jpg

Also my qc which seems fine to me, texture is also applied in 3ds max the same way as I always do and it normally works, I sat figuring this out for whole hour if not more

I have figured out the jiggle bone problem now but not the texture one.

Looks like you forgot to attach the jigglebone to the head bone, thus it's being left behind.
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Looks like you forgot to attach the jigglebone to the head bone, thus it's being left behind.

Yep, I managed to get that to work, thanks, only the texture problem persists, I'll see if folder change will do something.

oh dear..I spent so much time trying to figure out what's wrong with textures, and it happened that vmt files name were wrong, all of my rage :poly124:
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so I'm looking to finally get into hat-making and whatnot.
    Would anyone know of a good tutorial for making Hats and Weapons in Blender?
    The simpler it is, the better, as I have NO experience with modelling anything.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Remember these? I might update/completely redo them in a week or so, so I'd like everyone's feedback on what they think could be done better etc. Be brutal!

schwaben-charger-9000-promo.png
    theoverdose.png
    tonsil-guillotines.png
    backpack-wip-7.JPG
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    I'm pumping out better version of my spy shoulder camera, redone some models, redone uvw's, better ao maps and so on.

spy_c.jpg

for comparison with old one:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30693265/spyoldfilmcam.jpg
  • Just a Gigolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Y_M Great set... but I hate that melee weapon.

I doubt many people know what it is. There are tons of of other medical related things you could use as a weapon.
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    heres an update on my frankengear stuff. Trying a new hat out. wasn't feeling the hair i made previously.
    medic_hat_redo-1.jpg
    387577B4C011C694A72C447F32D561EC0BC3CE88
  • Sharc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    @Y_M, I think the wood on the Needlegun doesn't blend to well with the overall design and the Tonsil Guillotines still sort of look a little wonky as a weapon.
  • Constructor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa, all the good medic sets are getting redone?
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N10m5hksgA4"]Double Header - YouTube[/ame]

Did this a while ago, thinking of revisiting it. I'm going to need to animate on the character model because C_items right?

Maybe I'll just make another hat lol.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Y_M wrote: »
    Remember these? I might update/completely redo them in a week or so, so I'd like everyone's feedback on what they think could be done better etc. Be brutal!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ8duKs2Plw]I remember seeing the Schwaben in Team Fortress is Free To Play[/ame] (also where they first showed the Beggar's Bazooka if I recall correctly) so I'm surprised you'd want that changed!

My suggestions for the schwaben would be that the little protruding nodes or whatever they are could appear to have a more medical function. That's pretty much it though.

My suggestions for the tonsil guillotine is to scrap it, it's a great model and well textured it just doesn't say "weapon" to me at all.

The tank on the "overdose" (which obviously would be renamed) is just itching for some sort of symbol or embellishment.

The backpack...my only criticism is that it's kind of boring. Again, great model, but it doesn't bring anything exciting to the table IMO. That's not necessarily such a bad thing though, I sometimes think that we escalate stylization too much and lose track of some of the simple coolness that made the style great in the first place. I apologize that I don't have anything more concrete in that criticism but there you go.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Hey Karkasmolenklok, you there !
    Thanks for the comment on my workshop.
    Yeah the workshop is a giant mess and it's like no one gives a fuck !
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finalblue.jpg
    almost finished with my remake of the cremator's coupe than moving on to the rest in the set. more pics n such coming tomorrow :D
  • Manibogi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M wrote: »
    The wood and the light colors on the Overdose should go, since they don't match the Schwaben Charger. As stated before, the Tonsils have to go. They just don't fit the "Heavy Duty" theme. I think you shouldn't change the Schwaben Charger, since it has the most important aspects any weapons should have: Unique colors, theme, and, most important, a unique silhouette. I think some BLU pics should help too, if you have any.
  • Dr. Heinz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap, lol. That's the first time I ever saw that TF2 F2P video and talk about a spoiler. Sure, it's all released now, but I've seen some stuff in there that only came out like 2-3 months ago o.o.
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    I'm finally done, it was long couple of days of rage and sweat not because of modelling or texturing but dealing with outdated pipeline work.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=80474525

1317D8EC779EA0677EE62D86BEF8FECBA039DD2F
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Hey Karkasmolenklok, you there !
    Thanks for the comment on my workshop.
    Yeah the workshop is a giant mess and it's like no one gives a fuck !
    It's a pity really, I came here for polypack and there were great discussions and folks got a lot of feedback and really got to see models take shape into cool stuff. I was kind of hoping that's what the workshop would be like, but it isn't thusfar.

What amazes me is how many people just flat-out delete comments that offer any criticism or suggestions.
    almost finished with my remake of the cremator's coupe than moving on to the rest in the set. more pics n such coming tomorrow :D

That's sexy. I like that it takes a page out of degreaser's book but manages to be its own animal.

You know, just a thought, something might be to make it a motorcycle handle instead of a gas pump.
    I'm finally done, it was long couple of days of rage and sweat not because of modelling or texturing but dealing with outdated pipeline work.

Will the original beige-ish texture still be an available style? Because I actually liked that part.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    mmh yeah, even here, it's no longer about showing a wip and process but "vote for ma stuff", which is a pity imo.
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    Will the original beige-ish texture still be an available style? Because I actually liked that part.

I can always add it back, but the colour palette is more limited that way it seems, must stick with this brownish colour.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    I can always add it back, but the colour palette is more limited that way it seems, must stick with this brownish colour.
    I think there's some form of brownish/beigeish in the color palatte that's appropriate. I certainly like it a damn sight better than the disgusting green and pink and black that they're dying these hats these days.