Home Technical Talk

Retopologizing for the beginner... is it more difficult than it seems?

Hey there,

So I've got a sculpt done in ZBrush for the character I'm working on and it's now time for the retopo.

I've never done a full character before, and therefore never attempted retopo before.

So I've fired up Topogun, imported my mesh, and now I'm just drawing polys out while retaining a decent loop flow, and erm... that's it.

Is it really just a case of drawing out polys? Or am I missing the point?

Sounds like a dumb question but it's kinda easy mode compared to building the original mesh.

Would iut be a good idea to follow a guide for face topology?

Thanks

Replies

• CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    the most important things to think about when retopo is to consider how the character will deform, how you are going to texture your model including seam placement, you tri budget, silhouette.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Is it really just a case of drawing out polys? Or am I missing the point?
    Sounds like a dumb question but it's kinda easy mode compared to building the original mesh
    Re-toplogizing is awesome like that. Sometimes I even start my meshes with just blobs of random polygons and surface meshes to get the form down, and then retopologize that.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    it's kinda easy mode compared to building the original mesh.

thats the point! no one stops you from doing it the "old" way, you could even start unwrapping without, pelt, relax etc. no one will stop you from that ;)

the thing is, you can concentrate on shapes before you concentrate on topology, shape is what counts way more in the creation phase, having a given topology will always move you into certain boundaries, which will force you to retopo anyways if you want to breack out
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the visual importance of good form in the concept/base stages, I just meant in regards to the technical side of retopo.

As I'm still a beginner, a lot of things I learn prove to be a challenge technically, whereas using Topogun, it was a pleasant surprise knowing I could focus on the job at hand without getting stuck due to the limitations of my technical ability.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    http://www.pig-brain.com/tut02/tut02_02.htm
    here is something cool for joints if you are just starting. I am on the same boat :) I heard when making the lowpoly is the silhouette that is very important as well.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree its kind of easy and mindless at times (would be good for interns to do) but i hate how long it takes, maybe i'll improve with time, but my pawn in my fookin pawn thread is 3k tris and took me about 2 hours to retopo.

What's your guys speed, so i'm 1500 TPH, i know theres alot of other factors in the model itself that will affect retopo speed...
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For my second character took me about 2 days :) but i was very careful and i am happy with it. I also would like to know in a studio how long do you have to complete a character (high poly - low poly - uv- bakes) :) i know it depends from many things just average is what i am asking for.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the further tips/replies.

I spoke too soon, and seem to have hit a wall in my retopo.

Couple of things,

Firstly, can Topogun do symmetry? (I'm gonna Google this now, but thought I'd ask here while we're on the subject)

And secondly, could anyon direct me to a good shot of a head wireframe that I can aim to work towards? I'm shooting for about 3k tris on the head.

Thanks
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Select all your verts and hit "create sym" from the right panel or modify menu -> create symmetry.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice one thanks,

I've just seen 3D Coat, it looks like it's got a slightly better retopo toolset than Topogun, anyone recommend it over Topogun?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    3D Coat has a free trial so no reason not to test it out, the symmetry works well in it. I used it for a chair.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You used it for a chair? Geez I don't want anything that complex, I just wanna do some retopo, the seat I'm sitting on right now is fine.

:p

Thanks Zac, I will go get the demo!
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am using the polydraw in max 2010 and i love it :)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    have you checked the search or a google search?
    anyway for the xth time - I can really recommend this script if you are working with 3dsmax

Retopo.jpg

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/max-retopo
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply Render.

Sorry yeah I did search after posting and saw a few people mention that script, I downloaded it and it's indeed awesome.

Wrapit also looks rather amazing, unfortunately though I don't think I warrant a Beta invite just yet so will have to wait for release.

Thanks again.
  • ghib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd most certainly recommend 3DCoat's retopology tools.. I think worth the price alone. It still needs some streamlining but even as it is it's blindingly fast for experimenting with edge flow and moving things around the mesh.

Main tools that I use are Points & Faces (similar to NEX Plugin for Maya) / strokes (splines) / Brush (soft selection, smoothing vertices)

amongst many others...

If you can handle the 3d Cult then you're in for a treat :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    have you checked the search or a google search?
    anyway for the xth time - I can really recommend this script if you are working with 3dsmax

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/max-retopo
    Yep great script.

Polyboost/graphite modeling tools also has a draw poly feature that lets you target a mesh and draw quad strips over the surface.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the further replies.

After trying the script RenderHJS mentioned I think I'm gona stick with that. I just finished retopologizing my character and used a combination of Topogun for the head and the Max script for the body and although it took me a little while, I definitely found it comfortable.

I may check out 3D Coat when I have time as it certainly looks awesome.

Thanks again