Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

W.I.P Old Superman Head.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
Hallo.

I've started working on a head for sculpting/texturing practice and decided, after seeing Tom Parker's Superman for the Comicon competition, to do a head predominantly based on Alex Ross's "old" superman.

I think i've got to a point where the detail is plentiful however a second pair of eyes might be needed before I take it to low poly and start working on the texture.

Thanks in advance.

260g51j.jpg

Replies

• roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    wow, i can totally recognize him too! good job!
  • psychoticprankster
    Geat sculpt, I saw something like this somewhere else before, game artisans I think.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing, love the likeness.

I remember someone taking a crack at this on ZBrush Central many many moons ago. It was pretty inspirational and an amazing take, would be good ref. Probably too old to find now =/

Might be a little lumpy.
    The eye balls look a little squished like they stop short as if they aren't round and continue below the eyelid? Maybe because you shifted some features around afterward?
  • Neox
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah! That's the one!
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that ref guys. Brilliant sculpt there and i'm definitely going to take a look.

EDIT: Quick update, tightened some of the facial features and moved and sharpened the jawline and fat under the chin. Also fixed the eyes as they were curving back into the head way before they reached the lower eyelid.

24b45sg.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    There's also a really nice aging Superman in this years Comicon challenge top 20.
    http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10114
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's also a really nice aging Superman in this years Comicon challenge top 20. http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/s...ad.php?t=10114

That was the main reason why I decided to create a Superman head. The quality and detail of that version really stood out so I wanted to do something based on the same character.

Update, again tightened and cleaned some features up, bringing the ears out more and pushing the eyes out more on the profile side.

2hz37zd.jpg
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    better now, was too blobby before
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I like how its less blobby now in the face, but the overall bone structure doesn't look correct to me atm.
    For example, his head looks overly square, even for the old superman. The bottom of the jaw in the front perspective is significantly wider than the temple and it actually concaves in where the cheek bone should be pushing out . This gives him an almost cartoony effect, which I am not sure if thats what your going for.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres the main reference I was using.

superman3.jpg

I was after the large chisel jaw as shown above and attempted to emphasize the zygomatic arch by forcing the skin below inward as over-exaggerating the arch too broke the silhouette.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Baj Singh: Okay I see where you were going with this.
    I think the perspective on your reference combined with your perspective in your sculpting app. might be throwing you off a little, but even just a little off makes a big difference with a likeness sculpt.

I would say overall his head should be longer. The back bottom corner of the jaw from the front view is higher up. The base of the nose that merges with the face could be smoothed out. The Naso-labial folds less defined.
    Build a little more mass and smooth out the outside of the orbital bones.
    The Temporalis (side of the forhead muscle) is too large. This area actually comes in a bit on your reference, so it is concaved.
    I would bring the mouth up a little, make the outside corner of the eyes slightly further towards the ear.
    In the side perspecitive I would bring the eyes back some, and consider pulling the nose and mouth back as well, and see how it looks. (since you don’t have a side ref)

Lastly, like I was saying before, if you look at the cheekbones sillohette in the referecne you will see they protrude outward into where the ear is. In yours this doesn’t happen. So I would still play around getting the cheeks more defined.
    Your doing a very good job so far so don’t call this finished yet. Your so close!
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the tips Brad, ive done some more work on the head. Its amazing how much you start to pick up on once you put the old and new versions side by side.

35ls3gl.jpg

25t8cjl.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Yeah man it looks way better, Congrats!

The changes that could still be made are much more subtle than previously, so if I were you, I would put this sculpt aside for a while and come back to it when you have fresh eyes.

Then you can play around with the little stuff untill you are happy and call it done.

Really nice improvement man!

[edit]
    I'm gonna post a likness sculpt up pretty soon for crits also, you can tear me up there if you want :)

Payback!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    looking good, tho his eyes,, seem over worked too extreme on the wrinkles, and the outer edges of the eyes look tucked too deep into his head, especialy in the 3/4 shots.

the mucles on his neck that form the V around his adams apple should go back more to his ears,
    yours just kinda run into the jaw and stop. also your traps seem verry think in the side view.

image385neckmusclesGray.gif

p5.jpg note how the traps fold around to the top of the shoulder
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    I think that sterno-mastoid flowing up behind the ear will help out your side view quite a bit. Right now, it's running into his jaw-line like Rhino pointed out....making your jaw line appear to be a lot more hard edged then what it should be. Try softening that jaw line up a bit and I think it will give it a more natural and relaxed feel to your sculpt. Also, the folds on the bridge of his nose (the area between his eyebrows) feels really exaggerated at the moment. Kinda has that whole poop face thing going on. His ears could be scaled up just a little and pulled out in that front view. Also, it looks like they need to shift down a bit.

It's looking great though man...very minor things that could use a little love. Looking forward to seeing the lowpoly and textured up version ;)
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for the feedback.

I had another crack at this, however I think i'm going to take Brad's advice and come back to it. I'm thinking I might even make a full body sculpt to accompany it.

For now, ive taken the base mesh and tweaked it to make the low poly. My aim for this project (and some future projects) is to work on a few heads (predominantly the texturing and sculpting side) for practice as they are usually the areas where I struggle.

I textured the head up just to see what kind of results I may get once I come back to it (rendered in Marmoset).

2rff1pg.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    what did you use to make the face texture? i always wondered the process of making one (im no character artist).
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are many different methods to creating a face diffuse. Personally the way I try and work is by:

a) Setting up my Ambient Occlusion and Cavity maps.
    b) Establishing the base colours in separate layers so they can be easily tweaked.
    c) Giving the entire face a base skin texture to start me off.
    d) Painting in minor highlights and colours (such as the red in the cheeks).
    e) Finding some pictures of nicely detailed faces, cutting out different sections and tweaking the result. This usually ends up being desaturated and then overlayed over the skin texture.

Everything after this just involves tweaking and playing around until I get a decent result. One thing I always try to do though is work with the model completely self illuminated so that I can focus on the texture and the texture alone. Applying the normal map with no crazybump normal or specular only distracts me as it never looks great. Also, I don't throw in too many highlights/shadows into the texture as most lighting/shadows are generated by the engine now as opposed to being built into the texture.

Heres was the final diffuse before I started working on the normals:

2hnytxl.jpg