Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Police! [WIP]

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
I figured I would make a thread here for my progress in the GA "Macro Mini Comp". My theme is the police, and here is my first up, the pawn.
He's a "little person"

PoliceMidgetSS1.jpg
He'll be wielding a baton. And for making the gear/clothing, I should block out the models in 3ds Max then export them to ZBrush to sculpt, correct?

Crits/suggestions highly appreciated!

I'm thinking he'll be in this sort of SWAT uniform, except with short sleeves and shorts
SWAT%20near%20Car.jpg
So like that plus this
reno-911-lennon02.jpg

Replies

• audi100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    Ha nice one.

A baton? hell no give him a m60!

About the workflow, depends what you prefer things like the helmet and knee/elbowpads could be done in 3dsmax for the most part. For the clothes guess its faster to go with zbrush.

Good luck with this.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This should be fun, keep it up!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Give him a normal person sized riot shield.
  • Kupikimijumjum
    I'm thinking his ears are too high. body proportions look good so far... Though I am no expert on little person proportions. His feet could probably stand to be bigger.
  • bejkon
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Sweet, I've been following it on the Working thread a bit. The feet kind of have pancake syndrome, but that's probably what needs to happen.
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Hey thanks guys! I lowered the ears and sized up the feet.
    Ha I think I'll stick with the baton. Aesir, I'm saving the riot shield for the rook :P
    Pretty much done with the jump suit. The vest over it will break up the symmetry (I think)
    PoliceMidgetSS3.jpg

Quick update with the vest
    PoliceMidgetSS5.jpg
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Another update. Almost done with the high poly. Instead of giving him a helmet (because I have a feeling I'll fail at modeling that) I'm going to just slap some hair on his head and call the high poly finished xD
    PoliceMidgetSS7.jpg
    Oh this isn't in the update but I also sized down the forehead a little
  • Legion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion polycounter lvl 11
    audi100 wrote: »
    Ha nice one.

A baton? hell no give him a m60!

About the workflow, depends what you prefer things like the helmet and knee/elbowpads could be done in 3dsmax for the most part. For the clothes guess its faster to go with zbrush.

Good luck with this.

Quick few suggestions! Before I ramble though, I do say I'm liking the model. Odd proportions are always a nice breath of fresh air. Anyways!

I would reccomend rolled up clothing on the arm sleeves. A quick solution to your detailed helmet problem that you said would be an issue- you could always do a variation of a riot cop helmet. Following those suggestions up? I would recommend maybe a more "bulk" look to the gear (I think it would suit the character). Also as I have quoted from audi100 above? I think an M60 would be a amusing, yet fitting touch to the character. It would give a sense of something similar to a heavy soldier, no? The batton and shield would be a great set of shashies though. Keep up the good work, I am liking the model! :D
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Hey thanks for the feedback Legion! I might consider doing the riot helmet, but as for the M60 that's probably a little too complex for me. This's one of my first models using any sort of gear so I want to keep things simple for the first run through. I do strongly agree with the rolled up sleeves though, I'll get working on that.
    Finished the base
    PoliceMidgetBaseSS3.jpg
    And just a few changes to the sculpt
    PoliceMidgetSS8.jpg
  • Legion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion polycounter lvl 11
    Looking sweet so far man. I'll keep my eyes on this. About the riot helmet. Generally when I'm trying to avoid a complex, gratuatious amount of detail? I do try and go with something simple and basic. Yet the idea itself can be more effective than plenty others. Good to keep such things in mind when working. : ) Like I said though "I'll keep my eyes on this." And I look forward to seeing the next update. : 3
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    he's too short for the force!

it's wierd how this news story came about the same time you started this project
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/13/britain-smallest-policeman-robin-port

anyway I'm loving the concept and I'm watching this thread closely :)
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    needs a sniper rifle thats too big for him. lol
  • ima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ima polycounter lvl 8
    The guns he is able to use will be too weak lol :D
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Hey thanks guys! And thanks for the suggestion Legion. Yeah I normal riot helmet should be pretty simple
    tadpole3159, ha, that's pretty cool! Sounds like that dude can kick some arse
    Heh, I'd go for a more complex weapon like a gun but I'm to nooby to make one right now >.> As I get to other chess pieces in the later competitions I'll try to do harder modeling (and each time they come out with a new part of the comp I'll be more experienced) After I finish this guy I'll practice some sub d hard surface modeling before the next competition.
    I won't be able to work on this again 'til around late Sunday or Monday. Going up to DC
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Sorry that there's been no updates in awhile. I figured I'd just go ahead and finish it. Yeah, I'm not too happy with it :poly122: I really rushed the texture, but I'll do better on the next one eventually up.
    PoliceMidgetPresentation-1.jpg