Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Strange, arthropod, sci-fi...thing.

Junkie_XL
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
Contributing to a mod with something here. A wall prop.
Wanted to get some more eyes on this. Too busy in some areas? Not busy enough in others?

Thanks.

flagroom_prop.jpg

Replies

• Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    that's a damn great solid start junkie! impressive!!!
    the base looks great, the hoses look good, but when you get to about 2/3s up, it starts to get a little busy on the plating parts. there's only a few areas i would address really.

1) the area that has vents, the mounting area around the framing of the vents, about 5 plate sections, seems busy and over detailed.

2) the vertical divider between the centerpiece at the top and the cables... there's a repeated plate pattern, which is cool that you're using a repeated pattern, but again, it seems busy and over detailed.

3) there's an hour glass type shape going over the main center fuselage. along this curve there looks to be clasps of some sort going all the way down, but spotty in areas further towards the bottom. keep all the clasps, but make them run all the way down. there's spots where they are missing, and although i'm sure you deleted some intentionally, it would look more like a bake with errors at the end of the process imo... they add a nice touch down that shape and i would just keep them consistent.

overall man, great job on this for sure! keep pumping out stuff like this!
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    You sir. I am just impressed. My question is if it's going to just be secluded or surrounded by work such as that?
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10

I sir, am speechless. I'm glad Firebert found some stuff to crit about, because I got nothing :) Maybe the only thing I would look at is, will this be seen close by the player or not? If not, maybe you spent too much time on the details :)
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    You are gonna have some serious problems with the normalmap for the wires at the base. They will either eat alot of polys in the lowpoly, look like shit, or be baked into the base, and then problably not look good at all. I'd fix that if I were you. Other than that, it looks solid. :]
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Man...how awesome is that.
    As far someone wasting time on something, i think this is for a MOD so its great you went the extra mile. Excellent practice :D
    Quality i expect from epic tbh.

Sweetness :D
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sure is pretty.

Snefer - How would you go about doing the wires at the base? I understand why it probably wouldn't turn out well as is, but I'm not sure how you would fix that. I'm focusing on normal maps lately and that would be really helpful to know.

Anyway, nice work :thumbup:
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    this is very neat looking- I definitely like what's going on and I'm looking foward to seeing how you solve a couple things. I'm just wondering though.... what IS it?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    sXe Seany wrote: »
    That sure is pretty.

Snefer - How would you go about doing the wires at the base? I understand why it probably wouldn't turn out well as is, but I'm not sure how you would fix that. I'm focusing on normal maps lately and that would be really helpful to know.

Anyway, nice work :thumbup:

I would remove them. Some things are just hard to do in lowpoly. If they are important for the design in some way or if they are gonna end up close to the camera, maybe the polys can be sacrificed, but I would probably just remove them or replace them with something else. Or put the closer to the surface so you can bake them easier.
  • imperator_dk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    Just add the wires on an alpha plane floating above the base geometry should look fine.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the compliments guys.

Firebert: 1. Remove the framing tubes or the bolts in your opinion to clean that portion up? As for 2. & 3., not sure what you're pointing at.

Gallows & DarthNater: I think there will be two of them and they'll be fairly large that stand near one of the map entrances on each side. The largest prop in the room I think.

OrganizedChaos: We'll call it a water pump. :-P Concept shows a lot of water in the room.

Snefer: Yeah I'd prefer to move them closer to the surface but if alpha planes look better, then, yeah. I just have always hated messing around with alpha draw order. I'm excellent at having bad luck with that in any engine it seems.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    i'm guessing this is max and in that case it doesn't really help me, BUT how did you do the big cable thingis? The biggest that is.. Awesome freaking stuff anyhow man!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    these were the areas i was referring to.
    flagroom_prop_notes.jpg
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson: Thanks. Path Deform. Not sure of the Maya equivalent or whatever.

Firebert: I'll try pushing some of that framing down a bit so the AO isn't as strong and remove some bolts. They don't look that busy when you get close so I want to be careful. As for #3 there shouldn't be any gaps. The solid blue might be not be reading across in that area.

Snefer: Ron told me to mention to you this is for Eclipse. Looks like you did some work for them in the past.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i really like that 45 degree center bit section! would do great stuff for the composition of a room! great stuff.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Just bake the wires at the base down on to a plane and just alpha, should be just fine. I really like the design and balance of detail. Love to see this baked down. Good luck!
  • toren3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toren3d polycounter lvl 7
    Wooowww, very nice! Great work!

I don't think its too busy at all, as long as it translates well to the low poly, but I don't see why it shouldn't. Very good job thus far!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    god, damn! AMAZING WORK!
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    I think the modeling is top notch. After staring at it for 20 seconds there was something that bugged me. I started thinking it was going to attack me with those hoses, a face began for form. The area firebert circled reminded me of a pair of eyes, maybe close both sides together in the middle or add something to distract this... could be me...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Detach it from the wall, make the tubes gesticulate wildly in the air, and add a wheel on the bottom, and I think you've got an awesome insane robot.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    diggin that high poly, quick zoom up of the wires pwease?
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    am i just crazy or does this make sence?
    lolpaintover.jpg

edit: steam afro :D
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    ooooh man, I didn't really mean for comments like the ones that followed mine. Anyway I apologize.
  • LatOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LatOne polycounter lvl 13
    am i just crazy or does this make sence?
    lolpaintover.jpg

edit: steam afro :D

Welcome to Jamrock...JAHHHH!!!
  • achillesian
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol steam afro. I'm actually surprised no one posted wacky inflatable tube man yet.

moose: Thanks moose. Nice to get a compliment from an Epic guy. :)

toren3d: thanks man. Yeah I don't envision too many problems with the bake...lots of areas that can be mirrored and shells laying on top of each other. Looking forward to seeing what you're gonna post soon btw.

seforin: Here are some wires with sub-d off. Sorry for the size. It's kinda dense so I rendered it fairly large.

Wires_.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    That looks delicious,
    saved to inspiration folder
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    wow, thats amazing job!
  • Grok5620
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the design on the whole unit, I'm looking forward to seeing how your low poly and normals develop.

Also whats the scale?

cheers
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Proper delicious object| :) grats
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
    That is awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing that beast textured up.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Awsome work!! Thanks for sharing. =)