Home Technical Talk

Maya - Border edge problem

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Thefirston polycounter lvl 9
hey guys I was hoping you could help me.
i made a lowpoly model in maya and when i took it into zbrush one of the edges started to split on me.
i went back to the low poly and made sure everything was properly welded, but it still keeps splitting
when i used the display border edges it showed me that i still had a border edge at the place i had already welded.
can you help me.

here is what i'm talking about
Untitled-1.jpg

Replies

• achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, one, it looks like at the top of that line theres a fiver, and two there appears to be unwelded edges just at the left at the top of the line.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    delete faces and replace them
  • MrMachete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, one, it looks like at the top of that line theres a fiver, and two there appears to be unwelded edges just at the left at the top of the line.

there's no 5 sider anywhere?
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    I found they wont weld properly if there is a face inside somewhere as well, you might want to check it, the thick lines I think are just showing border edges for the UV's rather than what is welded and what is not. The best way to see if it's got faces inside or the verts are not welded is to press 3 to smooth it and it will show up some bad smoothing if it's not. When you're done press 1 again. Alternatively use xray mode to see if there is a offending face inside.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    This problem is because one half of the mesh is reverse normals. Go to Display-Polygon-Face normals... I can almost guarantee one of the sides of that model is reversed inward... that's the only time I've ever seen the border edge tool do that. Anytime you scale something negatively in Maya and combine/freeze transform you have to reverse the normals as well.