Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - End of the Alleyway

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
mickyg polycounter lvl 7
Hi All

Also posted on gameartist.net, but looking for some more crits so here goes...

Currently around 6000 tri's, haven't done any lighting yet. The next step is to make some garbage bags inside the bins and then model some dude's legs and feet hanging out from behind the wheely bin. And the pipes and wheely bin still need texturing...

Camera01_05.jpg

Camera02_05.jpg

Thanks

Replies

• mickyg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickyg polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, I've updated this in Crysis, I would love some critiques!

Thanks everyone

Camera01_07.jpg

Camera02_07.jpg
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    This is looking much better then your first post.

You've got some weird shadows happening on the wall. And the spec on your garbage can, the silve one, looks a little too intense - that is also a mighty thick garbage can..

I would also bevel the corners of the plastic garbage bin.

Keep working hard! :)
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    1. cramped composition
    I feel crammed into this scene. It's a tight perspective, starring into a corner. Instead of saying "hey I'll model 2 trash cans and a brick texture and call it an alleyway." get a solid reference and recreate a scene.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eviloars/3464541482/

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/architecture-and-buildings/8293317-trash-alley.php?id=8293317

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/9/78237555_9ea7933e54.jpg

2. odd scaling, reference
    The trash bin is very narrow, yet it's details are very thick. The trash can also has this exaggerated thickness around the top.

http://img.en.china.cn/0/0,0,20,16450,1500,1086,3d574211.jpg

3. technical errors
    everyone of the trash bin's rounded edges has a hard edge seam. This looks like a normal error.

specular of metal trash has none of the dirt or grime so it's perfectly polished reflective.

For more technical feedback, textures and wireframe shots would help.
  • mickyg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickyg polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for your comments, brandoom, you're right and I'll be updating those things you pointed out to me. With the shadows though, are you referring to the shadow being cast by the metal bars over the lit window?

To cholden - Thanks for taking the time to critique it so much, it's what I need!

I understand the scene is very tight, I did this on purpose to reduce the amount of stuff needing to be modeled. I haven't finished anything for my folio yet and thought I would have better luck finishing a smaller, focused scene. The final version will have a body / legs sticking out from behind the wheely bin, hence the blood on the ground. I guess I'm trying to tell a bit of a story rather than just model an alleyway.

I'm loathe to pull the camera back because a lot of stuff isn't modeled outside the immediate fov, so do you think there is anything than can be tweaked within the scene to reduce the cramped feeling?

As far as your other comments go, I agree 100%. I'm going to tweak the trash can and I think I'll just ditch the wheely bin and start it again from scratch, widening the overall shape and reducing the thickness, as well as getting a better normal map.

Thanks again for the comments!
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    I'd pull the camera back too, right now it just looks like you didn't wanna model a lot of stuff...whereas clever instancing and such can be awesome if you do it right.

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=68206

Look at that scene, and you can see how little he really had to create, but how well it works because of the small changes he made between the models.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Is that a face stenciled onto the silver can? :D

this isn't the greatest ref and it's very old work.. but you don't have to have a lot of stuff in your scene to pull back.. you can also duplicate objects and rotate them and have another object. Here's a similar scene I did a couple years ago when I was learning.

The two barrels are one object, the cans are all one object. the windows are the same objects, and the wood crate thingies are one object. Just a little more effort and you can come away with a much stronger piece.

downtown-2.jpg
  • mickyg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickyg polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

I'm playing around with the comp, trying to address the issues. Can anyone comment on this paintover?

Paintover01.jpg

Just trying to expand the scene a bit, introduce a few more elements and taking advice from everyone here.

Not sure I like the ladder on the side, might make it a proper fire stair instead, or maybe put something else there to fill the blank space.

Thanks everyone