Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space marine! wip!

Unleashed
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
Yeah I know what they say about space marines, I figured I needed one for the portfolio though with no male characters in it yet. The concept(by Wolfreim) was for an aliens mod that never got off the ground unfortunately and I always wanted to make the char since I saw it. http://wip.thelebaron.com/xmarine/f83f8b0391fe8e73b584441c5b4c5.jpg

Ill post pics of the back soon, its all very wip(head & straps especially) at the moment so any crits are welcome.
xenexp2.JPG

Replies

• meatle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice job

the knee to foot region seems to be too small proportionally
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    pretty good armor-- especially for being in ZBrush. I'd say push (deepen) the edges in the face mask and the head at least will be close to done.

The shins do look a bit disproportionate, but that might be due to the wide shinguards and the perspective.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    hands seem small, nice hard edge sculpting, i agree about the face the gaps need more depth :D
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I would have wanted to have a "making of" vid of that.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    The shins are looking a little short to me.

looks good so far.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey looking great so far.
    I agree with Brandoom about the shins. I think proportionally the knees should be up a bit higher.
    I can also see that the anatomy of the arm is off.
    There should be a gap between the base of the bicep and the forearm where they connect via the tendons of the Biceps (Brachlii)
    The delts (shoulders) are also merging into the biceps and triceps too low and oddly.
    But I think with a little more work on the arms it would look very realistic indeed.
    I really like the armor and folds you have made. I don't really have any crits there, other than it would be nice to see some more contrast in the mask so those areas pop more. I think if you simply pulled out some of those shapes, it would really read much better.

Again, great job so far, keep it up!
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys,

meatle, WipEout, brandoom, BradMyers82 - regarding the legs/knees does this look better(quick tweak in ps)?
    xenexp3c.JPG
    raider - hands still seem too small with the whole body image?

I havent really had time to work on it tonight but here are some more pictures of the other sides & body(before any changes).
    Brad thanks! I agree the anatomy is off :( besides those issues anything else glaringly wrong with the body? I plan on sculpting the full body, just gotta get around to it.
    xenexp3.JPG
    xenexp3b.JPG

lastly roosterMAP you are actually in luck, i have been timelapsing pretty much the whole process. ill try to upload something quick this weekend.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Its more in the right direction but still looks a little stubby to me. Check out this reference image, should help you out a bit.

prop_male.gif

good luck :)
  • ngs616
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This soldier looks awesome. Great work.
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    havent really had a chance to work on the arms yet but did some reworking of the legs and boots as well as general refining

xenexp5.jpg
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so its been a while, i was happily starting the texturing on it until I played the new avp game and realized my marine needs more stuff! im not sure where the grenade thingies should go since I cant tell if the concept ever called for such things but it does seem like it would be a welcome addition, just not sure on the placement. I think gloves and a pulse rifle and Ill call the sculpt complete short of any major flaws/interesting changes someone points out.
    xenexp9.JPG

the low poly for critique
    xenexp10.JPG
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    You still need to push those hard edges and give them more depth-- especially around the mask area.

As far as your low poly, I see a lot of geo (especially around the chest and pockets-- all of the pockets) that seem completely unnecessary. Perhaps they're there for shape to coincide with the normals and armor, but there are a lot of extra edges along the flaps of the pockets that look like they could easily go and not lose the overall shape. Basically, where you have a flap, there is the edgeloop that defines the outer layer of the flap, and one that indicates the inner layer-- but you have a third loop between those two that holds no bearing on the overall shape of the model.

I'd draw you an example, unfortunately I just don't have the time ATM. I still say good job on ZBrushing all that armor, but again, the corners/edges could still use some sharpening (and perhaps the surfaces themselves could use a bit more flattening, as things like the breastplate look a bit lumpy.