Home Technical Talk

Can I tile only one section of a D-map?

Not sure whether this would be pulled off in max or in the engine, though I figure in the engine, which we are using unity for the iphone. After putting multiple tiled textures on a larger diffuse to keep draw calls down, back in the geometry I would just copy & move the planes, for this example we'll say the ocean plane, so that the ocean would be made of multiple planes instead of one big tiled plane.

texture layout
uv_layout_plain.jpg

example of uvs laid out over the texture, each blue square represents a plane's uv coordinates.
uv_layout_uvs.jpg

This worked fine until now at the crunch we're going through and figuring out what geometry we could do without to help the frame rate as much as possible and having 8 pieces of ocean planes to make one ocean seems a little over the top.

Question is, is it possible to tile the texture on that ocean piece without it showing any other part of the diffuse map so I can just have one large plane for the ocean and just tile within that plane's uv coordinates. If not I figure I'll have to go back and break the diffuse map into multiple separate textures, though I'm a little reluctant to do that since we're trying to keep the draw calls down.

Though I figure we're going to have to favor either geometry or textures one way or the other.

Thanks!

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    add edges on your geo wherever you want to loop the texture ...
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    And about the iphone do not separate the uvs...
    As they said you can cut but keep connected the uvs together... or the number of vertex will be not cute here :)

You can see an example I done with Unity here about the UVS//vertex number conflict :
    http://samavan.com/divershelp/Test_TriangleStrip_Cube_A001.jpg

And here another example similar to your texture I done for iphone too for reducing the number of call to.... one.... :D:D
    http://samavan.deviantart.com/art/iPhone-Shuriken-Game-2-145376053
  • fantasymaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantasymaster polycounter lvl 12
    Just rotate the 4 squads in 180 deg. and squash them a litle bit, so they can tile vertical.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, if polycount is a concern, get rid of that part on the left and scale your pieces up so it fills up the texture. It will then tile from left to right
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, or take the vertical piece and rotate it 90 degrees so it will fit horizontally, then squish vertically the other pieces and stretch them horizontally a bit and add the new piece to the top or the bottom.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    fantasy master and vig are on to the right solution here
    thats the way i would do it !
    and you should design future texture sheets in that manner as well !
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Absolutely! Thanks to all for the great advice, I definitely agree that this should be taken into account early on. Considering the time limits and the need for all materials on the texture I think they'll have to stay for now, but next time, design around that for sure.

The best solution for the time we have, is to have the ocean quads be one large plane cut up to at least cut the pieces up but leave and the uvs them attatched at least cutting down on the vert count.

I definitely think that just taking the vertically stacked part on the left and joining making it horizontal like the rest of the pieces would be the way to go on something like this in the future, but for time sake just changing the tile pieces would be most fastest.

I know quick isn't good but with the deadline looming and lots of more pressing matters it's quickly becoming a pick and choose scenario.

Being my first job and the only artist on the team I probably should have taken this matter to the board earlier. There's been a lot I've learned throughout this project (a lot by mistake) as I assume any production cycle is like, I guess as long as the lesson is retained it's nothing too much wasted (I hope :D ).