Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bannerman's Arsenal

0000002894.jpg

This image from Opacity.us has inspired me to start a project that will hopefully meet its completion over the coming weeks.

column.jpg

I modeled the base mesh in Max and threw it into zbrush after a mesh smooth.

The bricks and trim are all that I've done so far on it, but I've got some pretty cool ideas for where I want to see it go.

Critique away!

Replies

• arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    you dont really think that a stone pillar is made of bricks in sitze of a fist

the doof and the ivy are much more interesting, try these
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arrangemonk: He's following the reference. Did you miss the picture up top?
    Not to say he couldn't scale them up a little bit to match the ref better - at the same time making it more visually interesting.Personally, I'd suggest taking this model much further in max, and leaving only the detailing to Zbrush, as you're getting some pretty uninspiring shapes the way you're working now. Also, are you doing this piece by piece, or have you blocked out the entire scene with simple geometry first? The latter option can really help in terms of giving you a good overview, and you can then swap out the placeholder parts for more refined props once you've done those, giving you a great idea for how it fits in the scene!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What Pea said.

Block it out, do more in Max, detail in Z.

I love opacity.us, nice choice of ref, one of my favorites. Totally amazing. Plants win!
  • Ninjanomics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I definitely dig blocking out my composition early on. I just wanted to get into Zb pretty quick on this project, as learning more about that tool specifically is one of my main goals here. I'll probably block it out in max and do the final beauty shots in UE3.

Thanks for the suggestions, people.
  • Ninjanomics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    column01.jpgcolumn01.jpgcolumn01.jpg

Did a little more tonight, finished out the mid trim pieces, pulled out a little more detail in the broken brick section, and added some trim elements. I'm not sure I'm liking those too much, they kind of say 'Mayan.' Later on I can bust them up and have just hints that they were ever there in the first place, though.